Packing List for the Med - Any "must brings?"

carryon 8 lbs in europe. if you are continuing on from a U.S. flight one normal carryon 13 lbs. i would say your favorite suncreen, gum if you chew it, tylenol, 6-8 hangers, a couple of quart size zip lock bags, what are sneakers?, tennis shoes, sandals are problematic because soles are frequently 1/8th to 1/4 inch thick and the rough streets are hell to walk on.

Pack light do not bring home with you, you will be sorry!

Somehow I managed to copy the wrong url, but this one was similiar enough....

The one I have is called the "everything" bag. It zips apart and unfolds into about 4 lenghts. Lots of little zippered pouches. And the sides fold out....It holds everything.........

When I saw this thread, I looked high and low for it, couldn't find it.

But went to Target today to buy a new squeegee (sp?) for the shower door and you know, spent $75......Anyway, they had the huge plastic ziplock bags on sale. XXL 20 gallon Heavy Duty....4 bags for $4.24

They're going in the suitcase now, so when I open it in Oct 07 to pack for my Med cruise, it'll be like a big surprise, for surely I'll have forgotten I put them there. ;)

SunnyFL : We travel with 3 wheelie cases, one of which is a large suit carrier for our tuxes and suits. We also have one carry-on bag , on wheels. This way we both are pulling 2 bags along when in transit .

Looks like we'll each have two rolling suitcases (airline checked) and we will probably each have some sort of carryon (plus my handbag).

I'm already dreading lugging everything around. What did we ever do without rolling suitcases?

But, then I think -- I'm LUCKY to have such a dilemma -- it means that I'm going on a fabulous cruise!!!

:) :)

Rosann

Instead of ziploc bags, I like to use the zippered bags you get when you buy things like pillowcases, sheet sets or curtains. They are sturdy, bigger and are almost always a rectangle (so you're not shoving clothes into the bottom of a flat bag). I use one for casual clothes, one for workout clothes and so on. I also use one in my carry-on (usually a backpack) so I don't have a bathing suit and undies rolling around the bottom of the bag.

If anyone shops at the Apple store, they have great bags that I have used when touring. They are like the drawstring "backpack" type and you get them free when you buy anything at the store. They are small enough to slip into any bag but will hold a towel and anything else you would need for a beach excursion (or any other type). They are plastic so they won't get your items inside wet and you can throw them away if they tear. They are also very light so you won't have the added weight of a bag.

Whereas one of the other posters suggested not bringing any socks, I don't necessarily agree with that suggestion. If you're going to bring comfortable walking shoes, you'll probably need socks to go with them or risk a blister. Before our last two trips to Europe we splurged on some very thick and comfortable socks. There are lots of different types but we used Thorlos. The gentleman at the shoe store had recommended them to us and I can highly recommend them. Be warned they are expensive but you will do LOTS of walking and much of it will be on cobblestones, concrete, etc. and by the end of the day your feet will be hurting. With comfortable walking shoes and comfortable socks, you'll be in a lot better shape.

Steve

While visiting the Vatcan Museum in the late 70s, I saw a nun walking ahead with a pocket mirror in her hand. After watching her technique I came to understand the purpose and use the method,

Hold the mirror in the upturned palm of your hand. It allows you to see the art on the ceiling with the dizzying feeling of walking with your head turned up. When you find something that you would like to see closer, then lift your head.This pocket mirror takes up very little room. Less dizzyness and less sore neck makes this a very worthwhile tip. The Med has more places with art on the ceilings.

Fran

How about Hand sanitizer, Insect Bite swabs, Iodine swabs (the kind like a cotton swab that you snap and then use), Tide To Go Pen, Room Deodorizer (some of those rooms people have smoked cigars in - whew!), Pen Highlighter for marking the ships Events that you don't want to miss, Post It Notes for leaving a note to the steward. We also bought an insulated lunch bag to carry any water, yogurt, fruit etc for your days on your own.

I have all these ready to pack along with some of the previously mentioned can't do without items.

Snowbird

Archived