Packing List for the Med - Any "must brings?"

We just got back and I wished I had bought a cheap battery operated fan with a sprayer bottle on it, Wal Mart has these. It was in the 90's in Venice and we sure could have used it. We use the over the door shoe holder for putting all the odds and ends into kept everything near and tidy, dollar store has cheap ones that you can leave afterwards. Bring a plug in strip to charge camera batteries, use for curling iron or rollers, etc. Brought along walk talkies for on the ship when we separated, could find each other easily, the Liberty was a big ship. Take lots of sunscreen. The Carnival Liberty had a laundry facility, we brought our own liquid Tide and downy sheets for the dryer, also the dryer sheets keep the clothes in your suitcase smelling fresh.

I totally agree with several suggestions...sturdy shoes for lots of walking on uneven terrain, air freshener for your room, and most of all, the battery-operated misting fan. I can't stress this one enough. I had bought one, but did not take it. A major regret! It is unbelievably hot when touring Pompeii, the Coliseum/Forum and areas wide open to the sun. Santorini was also really hot, especially in Oia. Have a wonderful trip!

Stephanie

This may be a silly question, but I am having difficulty envisioning how this money belt works. When you need to get to your credit card or cash, do you just dig down inside your pants or shirt and pull it out? :confused: Doesn't that look a bit odd?

I have never used a belt, but have one that hangs around my neck. I usually wear a buttoned collered shirt when touring. It basically contains all the most important stuff. My wife them keeps some of the local currency, which we refer to as "wahooties", as in "how many wahooties does it cost to buy that?", in her pockets. If a bigger than $25 purchase is required, I just reach inside the buttoned shirt and pull it out.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Just made my shopping list for tomorrow. I didn't think about the fan/spray, so that is a good idea. Also need more sunscreen. We got new hats with wide brims that fold flat that we are taking. Not much on style, but it will do a good job of protecting head, face and back of neck.

I have never used a belt, but have one that hangs around my neck. I usually wear a buttoned collered shirt when touring. It basically contains all the most important stuff. My wife them keeps some of the local currency, which we refer to as "wahooties", as in "how many wahooties does it cost to buy that?", in her pockets. If a bigger than $25 purchase is required, I just reach inside the buttoned shirt and pull it out.

Thanks, Capsu78! I think I will adopt your plan, and ask my husband to wear the belt or neck wallet, while I just carry $25 worth of "wahooties" in my pocket! :)

Don't forget scissors. I always bring Nyquil caplets, benadryl, and Advil. I bring a "squid" outlet extension to plug in my rechargable batteries, blow dryers, etc. In one of the squid outlets, I plug in a strip for even more outlets. We'll have 4 girls in a room...need those outlets!

As I have been gathering my "Bring List" over the last year, it is now 6 pages. I don't see how I could bring all these must haves, without a third suitcase. I think I must wittle it down. Lots of great ideas over the year, but too many items.

We just got back from our Med Cruise....It is hot, hot, hot, so make sure you bring light weight clothes and great walking shoes.

Thanks! we are going next August. Was it too unbearably hot to do the excursions? manageable?

thanks

If you have the space, binoculars.

I left these at home on our last cruise, and missed them badly. Especially on the run into Mykonos (we docked at 10:30 so had a really good voyage in), and again on leaving Messina and travelling northwards through the Straits of Messina - so narrow that there is land on either side within a couple of miles.

I have read a few post by Americans discussing their unhappiness with sunscreen bought in Europe.

If you are leaving from the UK can I suggest buying from the 'Soltan' range from Boots (chemist shop). They are the own brand make - they are cheaper than most others but are very pleasant and effective - actually the top-selling brand in the UK.

Boots is everywhere - including airports.

Jane

x

A suggestion made many years ago by a professional packer.

Take two or three supermarket plastic bags and stuff them full of newspaper. Tie them shut and they should look like flattened basketballs.

Force yourself to pack them (No cheating) and once you reach your destination, throw them away, one at a time, as you buy souvenirs, etc.

No more crying at the end of a trip when you try to get the contents of two suitcases into one!!

We also pack 6-8 wire coathangars as ships/hotels never have enough to hang everything up. We leave them at our last stop for someone else.

eab - What are carbiners?

Carbiners are short, sharp daggers used by pirates to clean their teeth with. They have a serrated, curved blade similar to the wicked swords used by South Asian warriors. They come in handy to ward off aggresive security guards when boarding cruise ships.

I use a suitcace that is expandable but do not use the expand feature. Leave that zipper closed.

Then some of my clothes are 'gently used' that I leave behind !

Now I have the room from the clothes I'm discarding AND can open the zipper and expand my suitcase ! Gives you alot of room for your goodies.

Have fun - altho' all that heat sounds miserable, MaryAnn

Carbiners are short, sharp daggers used by pirates to clean their teeth with. They have a serrated, curved blade similar to the wicked swords used by South Asian warriors. They come in handy to ward off aggresive security guards when boarding cruise ships.

Cute:D

My best suggestion is to skip a money belt if you plan on using one and carry a very small bag that has a long enough handle that it can go across the body.

Was on a Med. cruise in May. I had my money belt from my last trip. It got so sweaty against my skin. And it seemed more difficult getting my money out (my older age?). It was really annoying under my pants.

I used it maybe twice. My small bag I used everyday.

It was only big enough for my camera, a small water bottle, enough money for the day and a map. It was invaluable.

Next year we're going back to Europe and I won't bother with the money belt.

http://www.nextag.com/toiletry-organizer/search-html

I bought a bag similiar to this one, (on QVC it was about $25, but I can't find it now)

I can put everything for the bathroom, including hairbrushes, hair spray, sun tan lotions, etc......the bag zips all around and when up straight, my larger items just shove in the middle.

Seems like everyone already covered the MUST-BRINGS. We took one 24" upright expandable suitcase with wheels each. (Next time I plan to pack without using the expansion zipper.) These are what I brought, didn't need & wouldn't bring again:

DON'T BRINGS:

Jeans - it was way too hot (in July) for me to even think about wearing them - but there were lots of other people who did anyway...

Sweatshirt & light sweater for the dining room - same thing, too hot & the A/C on the ship was not too freezing

Guidebooks - thought I might need them, but I had printouts of the most important stuff anyway. Waste of space.

Too many dressy clothes - could have easily worn them 2/3 times since it was only for dinner & we had open seating anyway

Sneakers - okay, enough has been said on this topic, but I did not see one single local woman of any age wearing sneakers (I wore them once & I did feel like I stuck out & I am usually oblivious to that sort of thing.) Bring comfortable sandals, even if they are the ugliest pair you own, but wear sandals.

Socks - see above

Electric toothbrush & charger - WTH was I thinking?

HIGHLY RECOMMEND:

Cargo pants for your DH - the side pockets by the knees hold everything (even my stuff- haha- wife revenge!) & they have a little button, so it was pretty pickpocket-proof, even in BCN.

Tiny digital-camera bag which slings across the body

Extra memory card/ extra rechargeable battery - I always kept one plugged in the charger in the cabin & took both when we went off the ship

Blockbuster paperback novel or two

Down travel pillow

Jergens Natural Glow Daily Moisturizer (because there's no time to tan)

Love all of these suggestions!

Laughoutloud -- your list of do and don't to bring was helpful. I can x-out a couple of things from my own list.

It sounds like everyone takes a lot of "stuff" in addition to their clothes. I never would have thought of the little fan thing. I did get the huge zip lock bags which were suggested by someone else on CC. Isn't this a great site?

Probably a stupid question, but exactly how many (and what size) bags do you all take along? Do you EACH check two bags with airlines and have a carryon each? I'm especially interested in the SIZE of the bags you take. How in the heck do you manage all that luggage when you get on the ground -- since most of the larger suitcases have wheels, how does one person wheel two suitcases at the same time?

Yes, I'm a blonde! Sorry.

:)

Not sure which of those bags you were talking about on the nextag site. But I'm speculating that the bag you got from QVC was one of the Freedom Bags. I have 3 different sizes/styles of the F.B.; & I LOVE them. You're right; haven't seen them in a while

As far as the question about more than 1 bag, I have a large 26" wheel bag and then a small carry on wheel bag. The small bag hooks to the large bag and I just have to wheel the whole load. Of course this can get a bit heavy but it is much easier than trying to drag 2 wheeled bags, 1 in each hand.

Archived