Slow dancing on the Zuiderdam or other Vista ships?

Waxer

Greetings,

My beloved and I [first let me interject a different question -- as a new reader to these boards, I've been able to figure out, I think, that "DH" refers to husband... can someone enlighten me as to the full meaning? As a baseball, fan, I keep reading it as "designated husband" and I think "Boy, these CC'ers sure know how to have a good time."] anyway, I digressed...

My beloved wife (DW?) and I are new enthusiasts to ballroom dancing, and enjoy dancing to swing and standards (American songbook, vintage Sinatra etc.). What is the likelihood of finding a dance floor with that kind of music playing, on the cruise?

Thanks, in advance!

Neil

Greetings,

My beloved and I [first let me interject a different question -- as a new reader to these boards, I've been able to figure out, I think, that "DH" refers to husband... can someone enlighten me as to the full meaning? As a baseball, fan, I keep reading it as "designated husband" and I think "Boy, these CC'ers sure know how to have a good time."] anyway, I digressed...

My beloved wife (DW?) and I are new enthusiasts to ballroom dancing, and enjoy dancing to swing and standards (American songbook, vintage Sinatra etc.). What is the likelihood of finding a dance floor with that kind of music playing, on the cruise?

Thanks, in advance!

Neil

Fist of all Neil, would like to welcome you to the Cruise Critic boards..

Yes DH stands for "Dear Husband" or "Dear Hubby"...DW is "Dear Wife" A good site to use for Net Lingo is: http://www.netlingo.com/inframes.cfm

It gives you all of the acronyms used on e-mail, text messaging, & the WEB..

We were Transatlantic on the "Westerdam" a few years ago & they had the big band cruise...It was the same music that we listened & danced to in the 50's & 60's...Have not been on other Vista Class ships but have been on 6 HAL cruises & have always had dance music that we could dance to such as Waltz's, Lindy's, Fox Trot's, Rumba's, Cha-Cha's etc...

If you travel during Spring, Thanksgiving, Christmas, & Summer school breaks when you have more younger folks on the Vista Ships, they may have more modern music...Perhaps others who have been on the Vista ships during those times, will be able to answer your question....We only travel when the kids are in school, & the music has always been geared to the "More Mature" group ;) LOL..

Hope you & your DW have a wonderful cruise..:) Betty

I don't know if there is dancing, but on the Noordam at the Piano Bar they have nights devoted to Elvis, Sinatra...different themes...I'm sure no one would mind if you danced!

As a side note, when I was in High School my swing partner and I were hired by the cruise ships docked in Honolulu to come out and dance while the big band played. I had never been on a ship that size and had a BLAST! I do so miss dancing (as my DH doesn't dance at all). I hope you find what you're looking for!

In some of the piano bars there is not enough room for dancing. Rotterdam has an attached lounge but Maasdam does not. I don't know about Vista ships and won't for another 2 months.

The Ocean Bar and the Crow's Nest usually cater more to dancers as they have the room for it.

GN

The Ocean Bar is where you want to be on HAL ships to enjoy a jazz trio and do some touch-dancing in the evenings before or after dinner - and the best Ocean Bar on the Vistas is on Noordam, since the bar is on the same side of the ship as the dancefloor (on the other Vistas, the bar is across the atrium - an arrangement which I find less convivial. I sure hope it's fixed when they go in for further SOE updates...)

Archived