Anyone done the Mexican Cuisine Workshop and Tasting

jeannejj

Has anyone done the Mexican Cuisine Workshop and Tasting in Cozumel that is offered by RCI? I have booked it for Aug 24, while on the Navigator. Wondering how it was and did you enjoy it?

:confused:

We did it last October and we really enjoyed it. They take you through all the steps, then you get to eat what you have made, and it also includes all you care to drink. At the end there is some beach time left if you like.

I did it in December with my mom and aunt and we had a great time. You are picked up at the pier and taken to Playa Mia in vans. The cooking stations at Playa Mia are outdoors, but under a huge tent so they are in the shade. You are introduced to the chef, his assistant, and your waiter who keeps you constantly supplied with bottled water and drinks from an open bar (good margaritas!). You are taken through every step from washing your hands to decorating the plates. We made 3 dishes: a sope (a tortilla appetizer), grouper with mango sauce, and rice pudding. A few people in our group had food allergies to certain items, and so they adapted the recipes for them. After we finished cooking we were seated at tables with tableclothes to eat at and were given wine to accompany the meal. Afterwards, we had access to all the facilities at Playa Mia.

I did this this week, and have to say, I have never had a better time on a commercial shore excursion. The groups are small (each station handles 3 wannabe chefs!), the food good, and the Chef (Javi, in my case) along with his able helper (Luis) have so much personality and make this a great time. Of course, an unlimited open bar didn't hurt our moods! After the meal, if you're still hungry, or you don't like what you cook, there is an open Buffet you can have. And the use of the beautiful beach was also included in the price. Plus, you make friends with your other cooking partners. It is a great value, and a great experience. I'm sure we all drank more than the cost of the excursion! When all is done, you get the list of ingredients to take home to use and impress your friends.

:rolleyes:

Notaverage:

Did you book through the cruiseline? What was the timing of the event? Cost? Of course, I'm trying to squeeze in as much as possible that day! :)

Were there children there? Or it's it close enough to Playa Mia that the family could hang there and play while I drink (er...., I mean cook!)

Thanks

We booked it through the cruiseline. I think we paid $79 per person. There are only about 20 spots available. Now, the cooking air is under the main tent at Playa Mia so your family could go there on their own and just hang out at the beach. We were the first tender off our ship, and were picked up around 9am. The vans returned to the pier at 2pm but you could stay later and take a taxi back on your own if you wanted to.

Our day, they did an afternoon class for about 4 people, which I think was independently done, but I don't think they were on a cruiseship.

I booked thru the ship... $79. I know I drank more than $79. :cool:

There are usually 2 sessions a day, depending on the ship's arrival time (and more than one ship in port). The beach is 50 feet from the location, so, yes, there you can have your class and your family too. We left the pier about 10am and were done around 1pm, with the rest of the afternoon to enjoy whatever we wanted to do. The return to the ship was scheduled for 2:30 and there is always the option of a taxi back to the ship or into town at another time.

I am so glad I checked this thread. We booked this tour from the Enchantment on the 8/28 sailing & now I'm so glad we did. Sounds like a great time.

BTW, it seems like plenty of time to hit Carlos n Charlies after the tour :D !!

Barbara from Philly

Thanks guys for the info and answers to my questions.......I would really like to do this one......now, to convince DH that he can postpone his precious snorkeling for a few hours in order to watch the kids while I drink (I mean cook!). :)

What about children wanting to attend? My 14yo is a budding chef, and he really wants to do this with me. The Carnival site says this is for guests 18 and older, but would they allow him to do it with me? I know I need to check with Carnival officially....

What about children wanting to attend? My 14yo is a budding chef, and he really wants to do this with me. The Carnival site says this is for guests 18 and older, but would they allow him to do it with me? I know I need to check with Carnival officially....

I doubt it since there are so few spaces available, and it is a very popular excursion. There are only about 20 spaces a day and they are shared between Carnival and RCCL. It is worth a shot though, so it can't hurt to ask.

I did this excursion this past week throught RCI and loved it. I was with my sister, niece, and a couple of friends. It was something different to do and we all really enjoyed it.

KimtheCruiser - Of course you should check but I don't think they will allow your son who is under 18 to join you. My niece turned 18 a few days before our cruise and when I was booking the excursion prior to that it would not allow me to arrange it for her. I had to call RCI and spoke to someone explaining that she would be 18 by the time we were on the cruise and then I was able to book it. They seem to be pretty strict about it.

Archived