QM2 - 2007 Independence Day sailing?

42trvl

We were looking for a short cruise out of NY for next summer and came upon this sailing. We have also been interested in trying the QM2, so thought this might be a nice way to accomplish both goals. Any thoughts/opinions on this particular type of a trip? Also, I might mention that we would travel as a family (with 12 & 14 year olds). We travel quite extensively and far with them, but for a variety of reasons will need a "less involved" vacation next summer.

Thank you.

Just back from this year's Independence Day Sampler trip to Boston, Bar Harbor and Halifax.

Next year they are sailing to Bahamas and back in 4 nights (one less than this year). It's a nice way to try the QM2 in a less "formal" way. There was no Captain's Party this year, but that's not saying that there won't be one next year. But there still were the good shows in the evening, high tea, planetarium shows, etc going on each day.

For me, a trip on the QM2 is about the ship, not the ports of call, so next year's itinerary might be a very nice family trip at a quieter pace than the frenzy of a new port each day.

This year there were over 300 "kids" on board, most of which were involved in the ship's child and teen programs, so other than at dinnertime, there didn't seem to be many children aboard.

I say go for it, and enjoy the magnificent ship that the QM2 is.

My husband and I have done this sailing twice. The first time, two years ago, with our adult children and husbands. This year we sailed just the two of us. We love the ship and have booked a longer cruise for next year. These short cruises are not as "up scale" as the trans Atlantic which the ship was designed for, but are great fun and a way to experience the wonders of the QM2. You will enjoy the experience and your children will have others to get to know.

B.

Thanks for the encouragement on this sailing. We have gone ahead and booked a couple of cabins. A shorter/lighter cruise from NY is just the type of trip we are looking for next summer and this could be just right. It will also be a nice way to check out the ship.

Archived