Colectivos out of Calica Port to Tulum?

Hello, newby to cruising here. I've been researching options for very first cruise, which will be on the Holiday August 14, 2006!

At this point, still planning to go on own, rather than book excursions. One of the things we might like to do is tour ruins, possibly Tulum.

I ran across information about Colectivos that run between PDC and Tulum, and between PDC and Cancun. This seems like the most economical solution, but I wondered if anyone else has used them?

Would it be easy enough to catch them at the Calica port, or would you have to make your way to PDC to catch one?

If we decide to just go tour PDC, is it best to just get a taxi?

Any and all information/suggestions would be appreciated.

DH & I just returned from a weeklong vacation in PDC and did take the Colectivo to Tulum. However we picked it up in PDC, not sure if you can pick it up from the Calica port. Sorry.:( You can pick the Colectivo up on Juarez & 12th in PDC, the cost is $2.50 US. The bus station is also located on Juarez (& 5th), they also have buses running to Tulum for $3.10 US. Hope this helps!:)

PS: Both vehicles are air conditioned.:D Also, bring water with you to the ruins or purchase in one of the shops before you walk through the ruins, it is very hot. And if you want, bring your suits as there is a stairway that takes you down to a beach area so you can swim & cool off. Very cool!:cool:

Hi- thanks for the response!

Im still trying to figure out if there is an economical way to get to Tulum, directly from the Calica port?

I know the Colectivo vans do not come straight to the dock- rather they run along 307, which is about a mile walk from the boat. I just don't know if a mile walk is feasbile. I mean- at home, I'd do it without thinking twice about it, but...

Anyone have any ideas?????

We highly recommend Edventures tours for the Port of Calica to Tulum and surrounding area tours. If you are truly wanting a bargain and alot of fun then it is wise to atleast check them out before you go. If you follow their directions on how to meet up with them then you and the whole family will have a blast! Here is a link to their website http://edventuretours.com.mx/Home/index.htm Have fun either way :)

Im still trying to figure out if there is an economical way to get to Tulum, directly from the Calica port?

I know the Colectivo vans do not come straight to the dock- rather they run along 307, which is about a mile walk from the boat. I just don't know if a mile walk is feasbile. I mean- at home, I'd do it without thinking twice about it, but...

I did not realize how close you will be to 307 at the Calica Port. I would assume there are many taxi's waiting for people. You could probably get a taxi for $2 US? and have them drop you off at 307 and then take a colectivo directly to Tulum ruins (be sure you specify "Tulum Ruins" otherwise you could be dropped off in the town of Tulum). The colectivo's run up & down 307 constantly, just wave and they will pick you up. When you are done at the ruins take the colectivo to PDC ($2.50 US), shop for a while and then take a taxi back to the Port. Hope this helps you! Have a great trip!:)

I did not realize how close you will be to 307 at the Calica Port. I would assume there are many taxi's waiting for people. You could probably get a taxi for $2 US? and have them drop you off at 307 and then take a colectivo directly to Tulum ruins (be sure you specify "Tulum Ruins" otherwise you could be dropped off in the town of Tulum). The colectivo's run up & down 307 constantly, just wave and they will pick you up. When you are done at the ruins take the colectivo to PDC ($2.50 US), shop for a while and then take a taxi back to the Port. Hope this helps you! Have a great trip!:)

Some Collectivo info:

They don't go into the port but they do run VERY frequently along the highway. IF you can get to the highway either walking or maybe try to negotiate with a taxi driver to just take you to the highway, the Collectivos will work well

They are white mini-vans with a coloured stripe and sometimes a homemade sign indicating where they are headed. If they beep their horns at you or flash their lights - wave - they want to know if you want them to stop. If they don't stop they are full but don't worry another will be along shortly.

To get a Collectivo to Tulum, you have to cross the highway. To get to Playa Del Carmen you stay on the same side of the highway as the port.

At Tulum to get to the ruins, once you are let off by the Collectivo, you cross the highway and then you can either walk down the road OR take the tram (you will see its stop on you right as you walk along the road). It's not a long walk to the ruins but the sun is hot.

When I did a "land" vacation to this area, we used Collectivos quite frequently. They are much more economical than taxis.

Zeno - or someone else that knows - I know you said a colectivo is a mini-van, how many people does a typical one hold? There are anywhere from 12 - 18 of us going to Tulum. Would we fit in an empty one? Would you suggest we split up our group and just keep flagging them down and getting in till we all get to Tulum? Or should we wait on a bus (which might be able to hold all of us? Do you need pesos for colectivo/bus or can you use American $? I know that the ruins only takes pesos. Thnks for any info.

Zeno - or someone else that knows - I know you said a colectivo is a mini-van, how many people does a typical one hold? There are anywhere from 12 - 18 of us going to Tulum. Would we fit in an empty one? Would you suggest we split up our group and just keep flagging them down and getting in till we all get to Tulum? Or should we wait on a bus (which might be able to hold all of us? Do you need pesos for colectivo/bus or can you use American $? I know that the ruins only takes pesos. Thnks for any info.

1st, the chance of catching an "empty collectivo" is going to be very rare, if not impossible. They are built as what we in the states call a '15 passenger van,' but for economic reasons, the driver will often cram as many in as he can fit. We rode in one where in the front, in the 2 seats, were the driver and myself, with a grown adult perched on the console in the middle. 14 more adults were packed in the back, for a total of 17. :) We had no problems other than the vans being mostly full-to-overfull. And, they stop often to pick up and let off passengers (anywhere they choose, not just marked stops). The plus side, they are cheap....when we were in a hurry, we paid the extra $$ for a cab and felt good doing it. Just my opinion!!

Archived