Day trip for Cadiz/Seville

whcowley

If I were you, I'd just stay in Cadiz. The old part of the city is quite compact, so you can go just about anywhere on foot--or, if you prefer, take the red tourist bus that stops near the port and at other sights around town. You can get off the bus wherever you want and board it again later.

There's more to see in Cadiz than you might think. Be sure to climb the cathedral tower for the great view. It's an easy hike up (you go up wide steel ramps instead of the usual narrow spiral staircases). Take time to walk along the beachfront promenades, wander into the old fortress overlooking one of the beaches, and to just enjoy the city's pleasant Andalucian atmosphere.

If you want to go to Seville and don't want to take the ship's tour, you can easily catch a train at the station (which is directly next to the port) and return later in the day on your own. Warning: It's about a 90-minute trip to Seville (and another 90 back), plus you'll need to allow time to get between the railroad station and the old part of town in Seville. By the time you've allowed a safety cushion to make sure you get back to the ship in time, you'll have devoted half your to transportation. Staying in Cadiz is much more relaxing and, in my opinion, a better use of your time.

BTW, I believe Cruise Critic has a port description of Cadiz. I also have a short illustrated port description (with a link to the official port site) at:

http://europeforvisitors.com/europe/cruising/port-of-cadiz.htm

Finally, the official Cadiz Tourism site is at:

http://www.cadizturismo.com/

We had an a day & then overnight on ship in Cadiz port ..if you have the same you can go to Seville one day and then the next wander around Cadiz- the shopping area ( and it is wonderful shopping at that)..on your own. The main part of Cadiz is an eay walk from the port.. so no need for taxis - although they did have taxi tours of Cadiz available also at the port for about 30EU for the car ( which holds 4 and also driver).. the taxis have a blackboard with all their tours and prices posted very plainly as you get off the the ship ..

From the port Cadiz you can just grab a taxi for a day trip into Seville ( or you can go the other route and do the train- which many people said was easy & inexpensive -but hot)..

We preferred to have a car take us.. dropped us off right in the heart of Seville and ws right there for us all day..it was great.

Price was alot less then the ship tour into Seville and ofcourse we saw so much more at our own pace.

HAve fun!

We went to Seville the first day and spent the next (1/3 day) in Cadiz. I guess if you haven't been to Seville, it's worth the long drive/train ride; however, we found Cadiz pretty charming in its own right. You might want to venture out at night as well as I did. If you want more info on my travels in Seville and Cadiz, click on my ID (roothy123) and search for more of my posts. One contains a review of my stop in Cadiz. I loved it, and found it very underrated - just like Malaga.

Archived