baltic cruise jewel of the seas

Hi

We are going on the Jewel of the Seas on August 18th,a family of four .

Does anyone know what the currency is on board (dollars,euros or pounds)

Also when in port can you get by with euros or dollars or do i need to get some of the individual ports currencies.

Is there anyone who has been on this ship around the Baltic recently who could tell me if there were many kids on board?

Mine are 11 and 9 and our roll call is not very active ,so getting abit concerned that there willnot be many kids for them to interact with

thanks so much

allison

On board the currency will be USD but you don't need cash. You'll have an on-board account tied to your credit card which you charge stuff to.

The only ports on our Constellation cruise where Euros were the standard currency were Helsinki and Rostock/Warnemunde Germany.

Some places in Oslo and Stockholm accepted Euros in certain circumstances such as tourboats/ tourbuses. If you want local currency, ATMs are pretty easy to find in any port. In St. Petersburg we used credit cards.

We were on a Celebrity cruise and there weren't many kids at all. I would guess that RCCL is a little more family oriented but I don't know for sure. Maybe your travel agent could advise you.

Hi -we just got back from the Jewel on the 25th after a wonderful cruise with unbelievable weather(perfect). The currency on board was USD and in most ports this could be used at major stores or souvenir places. If you are eating in restaurants the local currecncy is helpful and this can be purchased on board(usually at little higher price) or at local ATM's or banks. There was a good kids program offered and it seemed to be utilized. I will post more about our trip when I get my act together and my sleep patterns get back to normal.:D

To the people I met at the "meet and mingle" it was a pleasure meeting you nad I hope you had a good trip home. This was my first one and I thought it was worth while.

Hi Alison

We are going on the J.O.S the same time as you are with our 10 year old son. I don't know what a "roll call" is (being British),but presume you mean numbers of children/activities for children. Our Travel Agent highly recommended the Royal Carribean as they have so much for children to do and they had just come back from the same trip. He said his children loved all the things that there was to do and didnt want to leave the ship! Hence we have only booked one excursion per day.

Money wise we have registered a credit card online and already checked in! Getting excited! We have a small denomination of currency for each country approx $50.00 as from reading all the letters on this site it seems credit cards are widely accepted.

I bet our kids meet up and have a great time:)

Amanda

:) :p

Hi

Thankyou all for your replies

Amanda a ROLL CALL is a list of people who are all going on the same sailing of a particular ship

If you go to the boards homepage and scroll down to

ROLL CALLS-Royal Caribbean Meet and Mingle

then Jewel of the SEAS

you will find a list of departure dates

if you click on 18th august you will see all the people who have currently registered for the on board meet and mingle

i am also a brit (from Colchester)

this will be our second time with RCI and last time we couldnt get the kids out of the clubs

WE HAVE ONLY BOOKED EXCURSIONS FOR ST PETERSBURG

we will do the rest on our own

cant wait!

Allison

Allison and Amanda,

I'm booked on the Jewel of the Seas for August 17, 2007 - same itinerary as yours. I hope you will report back in about your cruise - weather, ports, mix of passengers ( ages, nationalities, etc.). Each different region I've traveled in seems to attract different age groups, etc. so it's been fun to meet different types of people from different places.

Perhaps I should look into your roll call thread and hope you will check in there when you return.

Have a wonderful trip.

Amy,

I'm booked for next August 17th too!

Jane

x

Hi Jane,

So glad we're cruising together. I feel like this cruise is still a little iffy for me. I'm traveling on this one with my parents who will be 80 and 83 next summer so I feel like lots could happen between now and then. I wanted to book early, though, so we could get cabins near the centrum to limit how far they will have to walk.

It is sounding like there will be lots of people from the UK on these sailings since they leave from England. How wonderful not to have to travel so far to do the European sailings.

My entire family sailed out of Southampton last summer on a Western Mediterranean cruise and the overwhelming majority of the passengers were from the UK. It was fun meeting so many Brits and I especially loved the formal nights with so many men in kilts!

I haven't checked recently for a roll call thread and I've been reluctant to start one, since there is still some chance (small I hope) that we won't be able to go.

Maybe it's time to start one.

Archived