Tendering and Storms

Just sitting here reading the boards and a question came to mind...I know that sometimes cruise ships may skip a port because of rough seas or storms. And I understand that the rough seas will make it difficult for the tender boats to get close to the cruise ship.

But what if you are at the port, touring the island, having a great time and it starts to storm really bad...how do the get passengers back to the cruise ship if the seas are too rough for the tenders?

Has this ever happened to anyone?

The captain should know before he disembarks people that a storm is coming.

This happened not to long ago in Costa Maya - the pier there is unprotected and the captain called people back a few hours earlier.

#1-- he will sound his horn.. and local vendors know this is to send passengers back to the ship.

They know well ahead of time if a storm is headed their way, and will skip that port if necessary. Our first cruise was supposed to stop in Grand Cayman, which is a tender port. We got close enough to see Grand Cayman, and they announced that the harbormaster had closed the port, as a storm front was headed that way.

The captain should know before he disembarks people that a storm is coming.

This happened not to long ago in Costa Maya - the pier there is unprotected and the captain called people back a few hours earlier.

#1-- he will sound his horn.. and local vendors know this is to send passengers back to the ship.

So...what if you are on a private tour away from hearing the sound of the horn like seeing the ruins that are there. I never knew this that they could leave early without telling you before getting off the ship.

I know in April at St. Martin, a big storm came after we docked and during our tour the streets were flooding on the other side of the island - far from hearing distance of the horn in an enclosed van.

I do wished they would tell us this stuff.

A couple years ago, a hundred or so passengers and crew were left on a private island overnight because of bad weather. The tenders couldn't get to them to get them off, so they came back the next day and picked them up.

So...what if you are on a private tour away from hearing the sound of the horn like seeing the ruins that are there. I never knew this that they could leave early without telling you before getting off the ship.

I know in April at St. Martin, a big storm came after we docked and during our tour the streets were flooding on the other side of the island - far from hearing distance of the horn in an enclosed van.

I do wished they would tell us this stuff.

That was going to be my follow up question...you beat me to it.

Hello ,

Some of the above statements are not 100% true. On our recent sailing on the fantasy July 8 we were at half moon cay and a storm came up really quick. It was so bad they had to move the ship from where it was ancored. They told everyone to get back to the ship but the tenders could not make it to the ship the water was so bad but finally we did make it back after about 3 hours so your question does happen.

A couple years ago, a hundred or so passengers and crew were left on a private island overnight because of bad weather. The tenders couldn't get to them to get them off, so they came back the next day and picked them up.

That was on X or HAL I believe.

Archived