Cruise Insurance Question

I just booked a cruise for $1510. On insuremytrip.com, I originally placed $1500 as the cost of the trip. I found some very reasonable prices for coverage. However, when I updated the cost of the trip to the actual amount paid, the prices went up quite a bit (for example, one carrier went up almost 50%). How accurate do you have to be with the price paid?

I just booked a cruise for $1510. On insuremytrip.com, I originally placed $1500 as the cost of the trip. I found some very reasonable prices for coverage. However, when I updated the cost of the trip to the actual amount paid, the prices went up quite a bit (for example, one carrier went up almost 50%). How accurate do you have to be with the price paid?

For most policies the trip cost brackets are in $500 increments. So any trip cost amount you type in from $1001 to $1500 will get the same results. But once you change that to $1510 you jump up into the $1501 - $2000 bracket and the resulting higher premium.

The exception is the CSA WebDirect plans which have a premium that will vary with any change.You probably noticed their premiums only went up probably by less than a dollar.

For example, we have flight insurance through our credit card, no need to insure that. Did you increase the amount of medical insurance? Take the minimum, we really just buy it for emergency evacuation. Try another quote, perhaps you put in the total cost of the trip per person, rather than the total cost of the trip, divided per person. We have insured our next cruise, 4 people, total of $1250pp, with minimum flight insurance (included) and minimum medical for $129 with Travelex, quoted through insuremytrip.

Our cruise totall for 2 of us was 1900 and our travel insurance was 87.00....which includes preexisting and medical, etc...thru travelex insurance.

Go to their website http://www.travelexinsurance.com and price a policy with them.

And I have had great experiences with them so far and I haven't even cruised! LOL.....We had to change our sail date from Jan to Feb and they updated our policy to reflect the correct sail dates and emailed me the confirmation that day! Very good service....now let's hope I won't need to use the insurance but am sure glad I have it just in case!

Archived