Question about NCL passport policy

mikeythemars

We're booked on a February 2007 cruise on the Spirit. Everyone in our party already has a passport, so I thought we were set to comply with the new rules that take affect on 01/01/07 (requiring all passengers to hold a passport).

However, when pre-registering on the NCL website today, I noticed something in the "footnotes" above the field were you input the passport number. Specifically, the footnote said "Note: it is recommended that passports be valid for at least 6 months after the return date of your trip."

I immediately noticed that because my two children have passports that expire in early May 2007 -- a little less than three months after we return.

Now, I realize the NCL note used the terms "it is recommended," ergo the 6 month post cruise expiration date appears to be a suggestion, not a requirement...but I obviously want to avoid a scenario where some NCL check in rep tells me that day we arrive at the pier that there's a "problem" with my kids' passports.:eek:

So -- while I plan to contact NCL about this -- does anyone have a sense of whether NCL is going to require passports to not only be valid but also be so for at least 6 months post return?

Actually if you look on the federal government's website they too use the language that it is "recommended". You have to remember something....if something happens to you or your family overseas (illness, hospitalization, etc) you do want to make sure that you have plenty of time to get back to the states prior to the passport expiration date. Also, if you happen to lose your passport you have to make a trip to the nearest embassy to obtain a new one....that process does not happen over night. A couple of years ago we sailed with our kids and our daughter's passport was due to expire four months after the end the trip. We didn't have any problem.

I bet NCL will say that it is only a recommendation but depending on where you are sailing you might want to update those passports.

Actually if you look on the federal government's website they too use the language that it is "recommended". You have to remember something....if something happens to you or your family overseas (illness, hospitalization, etc) you do want to make sure that you have plenty of time to get back to the states prior to the passport expiration date. Also, if you happen to lose your passport you have to make a trip to the nearest embassy to obtain a new one....that process does not happen over night. A couple of years ago we sailed with our kids and our daughter's passport was due to expire four months after the end the trip. We didn't have any problem.

I bet NCL will say that it is only a recommendation but depending on where you are sailing you might want to update those passports.

If you are traveling to some countries in Europe you HAVE to meet this requirement.........I believe that you are not so I would not worry

.......it does not take you long to get a new passport in another country that has a US Embassy. Less then an hour if you have proof that you are a US Citizen..IE photocopy of your passport or birth cert.

You will pay more but it is valid for a year and you can put it toward a new passport when you get home.

Our passports did not expire until July, 2007, but since we have an October, 2006 and a January, 2007 cruise scheduled, we went ahead and got new ones. Feeling secure goes a long way, without question.

Timing is everthing - got my new passport in the mail yesterday inserted was a half sheet with key bullets as well as a card to carry with your passport number and expiration date for consular issues overseas.

The first key bullet mirrors what Seahorse posted

Don't Forget...

If your passport has less than 6 months validity, be aware that some countries will not permit you to enter or will not place a visa in your passsport.

No problem with NCL and getting on the ship.

We're booked on a February 2007 cruise on the Spirit. Everyone in our party already has a passport, so I thought we were set to comply with the new rules that take affect on 01/01/07 (requiring all passengers to hold a passport).

However, when pre-registering on the NCL website today, I noticed something in the "footnotes" above the field were you input the passport number. Specifically, the footnote said "Note: it is recommended that passports be valid for at least 6 months after the return date of your trip."

I immediately noticed that because my two children have passports that expire in early May 2007 -- a little less than three months after we return.

Now, I realize the NCL note used the terms "it is recommended," ergo the 6 month post cruise expiration date appears to be a suggestion, not a requirement...but I obviously want to avoid a scenario where some NCL check in rep tells me that day we arrive at the pier that there's a "problem" with my kids' passports.:eek:

So -- while I plan to contact NCL about this -- does anyone have a sense of whether NCL is going to require passports to not only be valid but also be so for at least 6 months post return?

It isn't NCL's policy it's been at the Federal level for years and years. Plus most countries want to make sure you can get back into the US before they let you into their country.

Archived