Helsinki Question For Tero

Guest LetMeGo
Tero, where is Cafe kappelli? Seems like this is a good place to eat. And where do the changing of the guards take place in Helsinki? :) Thanks.

Cafe Kappeli is at the end of the Esplanade (in Helsinki a narrow park between two streets). The shuttle buses will take you to the other end of it, at the corner of the Swedish theatre.

I think the only regular change of guards in Helsinki is at the Päävartio (a building of sentry barracks) which is located at the corner block opposite the bridge to Katajanokka. I think the change of guards take place hourly around the year, and there is also a small parade by the soldiers in during the Fridays at summertime... But I'm going to have to check it out.

If you look at the map I posted earlier at http://www.saunalahti.fi/~ternie/Doc_files/reitti.jpg , you'll see Cafe Kappeli halfway between numbers 3 and 12. The guards would be just above number 12, where the green line makes a 45 degree turn.

Hello Tero,

Thanks again for the bus and tram information! My husband uses a small mobility scooter. Can it fit on the tram? I can lift the front end up a step and roll it on.

Another worry - are public bathrooms located near the stops on the 3T tram? Do the stores have public bathrooms? Should we have euros to pay for them?

Thank you,

Judy

Guest LetMeGo

Hi.

There's no problem on the newer trams, which have an area of some 4' x 4' just in front of the middle part. On the older trams however you would have to lift the scooter approx 15", and there is a vertical support bar at the middle of the doors which limits the maximum entering width at around 26"... Almost half of the trams on the 3T and 3B lines are newer models, so you would probably be best to wait for the next one.

There are actually very few separate public restrooms in Helsinki, and they cost 1€ to unlock. Most of the tourist sites will have a free toilet, as will the larger department stores like Stockmann and Sokos. The Central railway station has a toilet which costs 1€, and shopping centres will have either a free restroom, or one that requires a 50 cent or 1€ coin. Most cafes and restaurants have toilets for customer use only, but at least the hamburger restaurants (Hesburger, Carrols, McDonalds) will have ones that operate on 50 cent coins. Also the public libraries will have free toilets.

Tero,

Thanks so much for this information! Our scooter is only 19" wide, so it should fit on any tram. I can lift it 15" easily! We will be in port on a Thursday from 9 to 6 so it will be easy to avoid rush hour.

I suppose we'll take the Constellation shuttle into the city as the public buses would be difficult to board with the scooter.

Are the streets or sidewalks in Helsinki made of cobblestones (very bumpy for the scooter)?

Thank you for your help!

Guest LetMeGo
Tero,

Thanks so much for this information! Our scooter is only 19" wide, so it should fit on any tram. I can lift it 15" easily! We will be in port on a Thursday from 9 to 6 so it will be easy to avoid rush hour.

I suppose we'll take the Constellation shuttle into the city as the public buses would be difficult to board with the scooter.

Are the streets or sidewalks in Helsinki made of cobblestones (very bumpy for the scooter)?

Thank you for your help!

On weekdays the worst rush hours are around 8am, and just after 4pm... It can take a while to get back to the ship.

Actually I think the shuttle buses are exactly the same types as the ones used by the public transport company (in fact I think they are chartered from them!), so there should be no problems with those either.

The city of Helsinki is relatively new, so there are relaltively few streets mae of genuine cobblestones. There are some streets especially around the senate square and market square which are made of almost even tiles. I don't think they are going to be a problem.

Tero,

So you are saying that if we get off the Constellation near the number 1 on your map and walk to #2 on the map, we can buy a 6 euro ticket from the blue bus #16 line driver (this would be the same as a Celebrity shuttle). This bus/shuttle#16 takes us to the Swedish Theatre where we would get off and transfer to the T3/3B tram. Where do we get on the 3T/3B tram? Where can we get the tram brochure that describes the sights to see along the way?

Wow, what alot of questions! Glad you're so willing to answer.:D

Thanks,

Judy

Tero,

Do you think there will be an ATM machine near the dock or on the walk to the #16 bus to get euros?

Do you have a link to the bus routes? I have a map of the tram routes.

Thanks,

Judy

SkySweet,

Great pictures! Can't wait.

Guest LetMeGo
Tero,

So you are saying that if we get off the Constellation near the number 1 on your map and walk to #2 on the map, we can buy a 6 euro ticket from the blue bus #16 line driver (this would be the same as a Celebrity shuttle). This bus/shuttle#16 takes us to the Swedish Theatre where we would get off and transfer to the T3/3B tram. Where do we get on the 3T/3B tram? Where can we get the tram brochure that describes the sights to see along the way?

Wow, what alot of questions! Glad you're so willing to answer.:D

Thanks,

Judy

That is indeed what I am saying... The Constellation would dock a few hundred yeards further along the pier, so you would have to walk backwards a bit longer. Then you can buy a 6€ ticket from the driver which is valid for the buses and trams. You can only buy a printed paper ticket from the driver, but it is equally valid. You have to have cash €'s for this, and the nearest ATM is about a mile into the city.

You can either ask for the driver to drop you off at the beginning of Etelä Esplanadi and walk a few hundred yards North from the Swedish Theatre along Mannerheimintie to the stop in front of Stockmann, or you can ride the same bus to the other end of the Etelä Esplanadi street and take the tram next to the fountain and statue of Havis Amanda.

You can either print the pdf version or pick one up from the tourist info between the Market Square and Senate Square.

You can search the individual lines from here, and it will also provide a possibility to look at the timetables. The best bus lines for tourists would be 14, 14B, 16, 18, and possibly 20 and 24. The rest would spread out from the Central railway station to the less interesting residential neighbourhoods of the city.

Guest LetMeGo
There's a listing of Helsinki ATM machines (the ones which are in the Visa network, at least) here.

The nearest ATM from the Hernesaari I could find was at this place, just over a mile from the pier... More than halfway to the city centre. :(

Tero,

Since I last posted, I've been looking at the Port of Helsinki website and it says that Constellation will be docked at MASA YARDS - SHIPYARD LMY in West Harbour and passengers should take bus#15 from West Terminal into the city. Here is a picture of the West Harbour http://www.portofhelsinki.fi/content/pdf/matkustajaliikenne/satamat/lansiilmakuva2004.jpg?from=9509303123081603

I can see the docks to the right which would be the area where bus 16 stops.

Here's the harbour map for bus # 16 stop

http://aikataulut.ytv.fi/reittiopas/en/line/?&adv=1&maploc=&mapline=96%3A1%3A1016++%3A20060626%3A&keya=Ratakatu&line=&a=8994&aa=&an=11&mapstyle=&nk=1&map=&px=2551025&py=6671431&ppx=2552599&ppy=6672720&zx=2551025&zy=6671431&ss=&se=&click=2&hlterm=&hlloc=&p=2&print=&zoom=8&x=300&y=200&nc=1&fcmap=&click=2

So now I'm confused. They don't list a bus 15 on the journey planner either. Wish we were at the pier where 16 stops. It looks easy.

Please explain. Do I just take a #15 bus?

Thanks,

Judy

There's a listing of Helsinki ATM machines (the ones which are in the Visa network, at least) here.

dakrewser,

Thanks, I'll have to see if Mastercard has this locater. We have the Mastercard debit.

Guess I can get some euros before I get off the ship to get started.

Judy

Guest LetMeGo
Tero,

Since I last posted, I've been looking at the Port of Helsinki website and it says that Constellation will be docked at MASA YARDS - SHIPYARD LMY in West Harbour and passengers should take bus#15 from West Terminal into the city. Here is a picture of the West Harbour http://www.portofhelsinki.fi/content/pdf/matkustajaliikenne/satamat/lansiilmakuva2004.jpg?from=9509303123081603

I can see the docks to the right which would be the area where bus 16 stops.

Here's the harbour map for bus # 16 stop

http://aikataulut.ytv.fi/reittiopas/en/line/?&adv=1&maploc=&mapline=96%3A1%3A1016++%3A20060626%3A&keya=Ratakatu&line=&a=8994&aa=&an=11&mapstyle=&nk=1&map=&px=2551025&py=6671431&ppx=2552599&ppy=6672720&zx=2551025&zy=6671431&ss=&se=&click=2&hlterm=&hlloc=&p=2&print=&zoom=8&x=300&y=200&nc=1&fcmap=&click=2

So now I'm confused. They don't list a bus 15 on the journey planner either. Wish we were at the pier where 16 stops. It looks easy.

Please explain. Do I just take a #15 bus?

Thanks,

Judy

Hi

I've earlier had the same concerns as you, but I don't see the ship docking in the shipyard area... It is a gated area with ferries still being built at the moment. The only reason I can think for this confusion is because the Hernesaari pier used to be a parrt of the shipyard as well... it only changed a few years ago. The web page of the Helsinki port lists the earlier mentioned Hernesaari pier to be available whenever the Celebrity ships are supposedly docking at the shipyard. If you do dock at the shipyard for some reason, you will only be let out in free shuttle buses anyway...

Forget about the bus #15. That would go from the other side of the bay which is only used whenever there are two HAL or Costa ships in port at the same time.

Guest LetMeGo
dakrewser,

Thanks, I'll have to see if Mastercard has this locater. We have the Mastercard debit.

Guess I can get some euros before I get off the ship to get started.

Judy

You don't have to search for a locator... The same ATMs can be used by the MC/Maestro/Cirrus cards as well.

We will be docking in Helsinki in Sept. Do they dock at the same port as the Constellation.:confused: We want to see the Senate Square and the Rock Church especially. Will a tram take us to both places or will we need to change buses. Are they within walking distance of each other?:confused: Thank you so much for your help.

Delores

Guest LetMeGo
We will be docking in Helsinki in Sept. Do they dock at the same port as the Constellation.:confused: We want to see the Senate Square and the Rock Church especially. Will a tram take us to both places or will we need to change buses. Are they within walking distance of each other?:confused: Thank you so much for your help.

Delores

Hi.

I posted a map earlier in this thread which lists those places among others... Star Princess does indeed dock at the same place, and you can reach the Senate square directly by the bus #16, go the 1.5 miles to the rock church by tram 3B after it opens at 10am, and take the 14B bus back to the ship at Hernesaari before eleven.

Here's the relevant legend for the map:

1 Star Princess

2 Bus #16 stop to city

8 Temppeliaukio (Rock) Church

9 Senate Square

Oh my gosh, I didn't think to ask what bus to take back to the ship. Won't the #16 bus take us back to the ship if we get back on where we got off at the Swedish Theatre to catch the 3T?

Thanks Tero,

Judy

July'05, we were aboard RRC/Radiance & toured Helsinki and found it to be very walking-friendly. We enjoyed lunch at Cafe Kappeli ~ had outside seating & were entertained by a changing of the guard military parade that passed by. I "flung a fit" and hauled the family out to see the Sibelius Monument ~ wasn't worth the grief I caught from the group ~ but it has been checked off my "to do list". I did score big kudos with friends back home by following Rick Steves suggestion on visiting Schroder's Sport shop (a one-block detour up Unioninkatu at Senate Square & Lutheran Cathedral. They have an incredible selection of Finnish-made Rapala fishing lures, which make terrific souveniors ~ reasonable $$. The clerk also guided me in selecting some lures that can't be purchased in the USA, making my gifts an even bigger hit with the son-in-law! Enjoy, B

Guest LetMeGo
Oh my gosh, I didn't think to ask what bus to take back to the ship. Won't the #16 bus take us back to the ship if we get back on where we got off at the Swedish Theatre to catch the 3T?

Thanks Tero,

Judy

It is the same bus #16, but it has a slightly different route because of the one way streets. You can get on either on the Pohjois Esplanadi stop a hundred yards before the Swedish theatre theatre, or across the main street (Mannerheimintie) from the Swedish theatre.

Just remember to wave to the driver, and show him your paper ticket when you enter.

Thanks again, Tero. I've been copying and pasting all your tips to my "Helsinki Tero notes" to print and take with us. I'm sure we'll have a much better time because of you. It's neat to be with the people of the country you visit.:)

Where are you cruising to next?

Judy

July'05, we were aboard RRC/Radiance & toured Helsinki and found it to be very walking-friendly. We enjoyed lunch at Cafe Kappeli ~ had outside seating & were entertained by a changing of the guard military parade that passed by. I "flung a fit" and hauled the family out to see the Sibelius Monument ~ wasn't worth the grief I caught from the group ~ but it has been checked off my "to do list". I did score big kudos with friends back home by following Rick Steves suggestion on visiting Schroder's Sport shop (a one-block detour up Unioninkatu at Senate Square & Lutheran Cathedral. They have an incredible selection of Finnish-made Rapala fishing lures, which make terrific souveniors ~ reasonable $$. The clerk also guided me in selecting some lures that can't be purchased in the USA, making my gifts an even bigger hit with the son-in-law! Enjoy, B

MacTosh,

I love the Radiance OTS!!!!!! It was the first cruise we ever went on to Alaska in 2001. She was born in January(I think) and we went in August. I followed her build on the internet. I was totally hooked after that 7 day cruise-now 7 is not enough!!!

Wish my dad was still living-he would love a lure. Will try to find the shop and get on for our son-he's not an avid fisherman, but it would make a nice souvenier for him.

Archived