Helsinki Question For Tero

Guest LetMeGo

According to the brochure one of the stops for the HoHo buses will be at the Hernesaari pier, but the first bus won't be there until as late as 10.45. It's a long wait, and by that time you could have toured many of the sights... If you are planning to have a late breakfast at the ship and do a quick tour of the city, it might actually work better to wait for the HoHo.

You can buy a ticket from the driver at any of the stops marked on the map, but I am almost certain you can only buy the tickets with cash.

Hi Tero,

Thanks for all the great info on Helsinki! (If you ever need info on NY I'd be happy to help :) )

We'll be going to Helsinki for the first time on our upcoming cruise and are interested particularly in looking at some Alvar Aalto and Eliel/Eero Saarinen designed buildings. We have Finlandia Hall on our itinerary; do you think Hvitträsk is worth visiting?

Guest LetMeGo
Hi Tero,

Thanks for all the great info on Helsinki! (If you ever need info on NY I'd be happy to help :) )

We'll be going to Helsinki for the first time on our upcoming cruise and are interested particularly in looking at some Alvar Aalto and Eliel/Eero Saarinen designed buildings. We have Finlandia Hall on our itinerary; do you think Hvitträsk is worth visiting?

Hi, and thanks for the offer! :D

I think you know more about buildings designed by those people than I do... But I did a quick google search anyway, and I would say that visiting Hvitträsk depends on which architect you would prefer, and do you want to spend the entire day following just one man's architecture.

There are only a handful of buildings designed by Eliel Saarinen, and with the exception of Hvitträsk I think they are all in the central Helsinki area. (Insurance company Pohjola's building at Aleksanterinkatu, the National museum, Central railway station, and the Olofsborg house at Katajanokka) And the only Eero Saarinen I could think of was minor restauration work on the Swedish Thetre. If you add visiting Hvitträsk to that, you have an almost full day already, because it is quite far away.

I've never been there myself, but from the pictures it does look like it might be worth a visit. The bad thing is that it's 30 miles from Helsinki (about 60€ by taxi), and you can reach it with a public bus every three hours, or by a local train and a 2 mile walk every hour. For the bus ride you need to buy a "regional ticket" which come as either single tickets for 3.60€ or 24 hour tickets for 10€, or in the train or train station you can buy a one way ticket to Luoma station for approximately 5.50€ one way.

If you prefer Alvar Aalto, there are plenty of buildings scattered in the central Helsinki area, and the campus area in Espoo which is accesible by regional transport at least every 15 minutes. I think you've probably found this site yourself, but maybe somebody else would like to see it as well.

http://www.alvaraalto.fi/info/guide/index.htm

Bloody hell. I knew there was something wrong with my math! I've never had to do fahrenheit conversion with negative temperatures... :o

It's actually somewhere between 0 and -40 degrees only. Probably not that different from your temperatures. :rolleyes: :D

I was thinking about the temps. while I was mowing the grass. Figured that you were calculating in Celsius. We are around 0 to -10F in the winter on the coldest days. On the calculator I checked -10F = -23C so you are alot colder than we are!

Judy

Thanks Tero! I hadn't realized Hvitträsk was that far from Helsinki, so we'll have to consider it carefully. It sounds like a more time-conscious choice would be to focus on a few of the buildings in Helsinki that you cited.

I appreciate your help!!

Guest LetMeGo
Thanks Tero! I hadn't realized Hvitträsk was that far from Helsinki, so we'll have to consider it carefully. It sounds like a more time-conscious choice would be to focus on a few of the buildings in Helsinki that you cited.

I appreciate your help!!

I had no idea about the distance myself, so you've taught me new things. :D

(I should probably go out to find that Olofsborg house one day, as I don't think I've ever seen it myself. And it would be easier to tell others where it is. :o )

It would probably be better to concentrate on the buildings of central Helsinki, and take a look at some of the other sights as well. Especially so if you aren't coming to visit here again in the near future.

Your interest has also given me a good excuse to go and find out where you could see the Central railraw station from new angles. I didn't think until very recently that you could e.g. see it from the windows of the Sokos department store across the street... :rolleyes:

You're welcome. Just let me know which buildings you are concentrating on, and I will try to tell you how to reach them best.

Not sure whether to take the #16 bus and do the trams and buses or to do the Heslsinki Hop ons and Offs.

If we do the HoHos..........where does it initiate and can you pay on board with credit card?

Tero, on one of the threads they mention that we can take the Open Top Tour from the Pier and that the Boat and city combo hoho is 29E each.

Is this correct?

Thanks,

Lynn

Guest LetMeGo

It's acatually 30€, but yes, it is correct. You can buy the ticket from the bus driver, and take the boat from the Market Square.

Here's the website of the boat tour company explaining their services.

I've never actually been on their cruise, but the route is basically the same as everybody else's... It will take you past some of the Eastern parts of Helsinki and the Suomenlinna islands. You can also eat lunch aboard if you're in a hurry.

We took the #16 bus from the Star Princess a few weeks ago, and the bus driver printed us an all-day tickets but couldn't seem to give us a "family rate" ticket. The bus wasn't crowded at all. We had Euros, so that wasn't a problem.

Guest LetMeGo

I think the family rate ticket has been discontinued. :(

Last year it was 8€ for 1-2 adults and 1-4 children for a 24 hour ticket, but this year there is no mention of it in the advertisements.

I guess it was too cheap compared to the individual 24 hour tickets...

Tero, another question please... Is Hernesaari port - the West Harbor? if it's not, then how can we get to the city center if in case the NCL Dream does dock in the West Harbor? what if it docks anywhere in the South Harbor and if from the North harbor? Just covering the bases as sometimes I think they may dock at a different port. There was a CC member here in one of the forum that was told that the Dream would be docking at katajanokka so she had made plans from that port and it ended up that the Dream had docked in hernesaari. Hope you don't mind answering questions again ... Thank you very much. :)

Guest LetMeGo

Sure... I don't mind more questions. :D

The Hernesaari cruise berth is indeed in the West Harbour (which also includes the shipyard and the West Terminal). It is theoretically possible that you would dock around the West Terminal which is across the bay from Hernesaari. From the West Terminal you can either walk to the centre (2 miles) or the nearest tram stop just under a mile away. You can also take the #15A bus to the city centre, but it only runs during the peak hours. If you're leaving the west terminal between 9:15 and 16:00, and want to use public transport, you need to take the #15 bus and change to the metro after a few stops.

It is possible for the Dream to dock at the Katajanokka cruise berth (if it isn't too long, it certainly is among the longest possible ships to dock there). It's only a half a mile walk from Katajanokka to the Market square, and you can also take the #4 tram to the Senate square.

But I have never seen the Dream doocking anywhere else than Hernesaari. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Tero:

What is the best way to "DO" Helsinki?

Should we take the 16 bus and then use the trams to all the sites and take a separate boat ride? Or take the 16 bus and the take the HOHO combination bus and boat tour?

Thanks, Lynn

Guest LetMeGo

Personally I would rather just walk around the city... That's what I do abroad. :D

In about ten miles you can cover all the major sights of the city, and that includes the walk to and from the port.

Other than that, the tram line 3T (or 3B) would be the best option, because it goes within a few hundred yards of those sights. With the exception of the port, it goes practically the same route as the hoho bus, but instead of the 45 minute intervals for the buses (:eek:) the tram goes every ten minutes.

I wouldn't recommend the hoho bus because of the high price unless you were spesifically interested in the boat tour combination... The boat tour is a nice way to spend some time, but there isn't really enough to see in the tour to have me recommend it with good conscience. :confused:

Personally I would rather just walk around the city... That's what I do abroad. :D

In about ten miles you can cover all the major sights of the city, and that includes the walk to and from the port.

Other than that, the tram line 3T (or 3B) would be the best option, because it goes within a few hundred yards of those sights. With the exception of the port, it goes practically the same route as the hoho bus, but instead of the 45 minute intervals for the buses (:eek:) the tram goes every ten minutes.

I wouldn't recommend the hoho bus because of the high price unless you were spesifically interested in the boat tour combination... The boat tour is a nice way to spend some time, but there isn't really enough to see in the tour to have me recommend it with good conscience. :confused:

Thanks, Tero!

You have been a Viking beyond belief! (Are Finns VIkings?)

I have a limitation on how much walking I can do, so covering 10 miles on foot is not an option.

I think I will follow your advice and take the buses and trams with the 7 Euro charge, Sounds like a deal!

Also, I have heard pros and cons re: the boat. On your advice I think I'll pass!

Lynn

Tero, Hello there... another question please... the tram 3T is it the same tram as 3B? Is 3T from the port towards the city and 3B is from the city travelling towards the port? So 3T becomes 3B? I just want to know as I don't want to be waiting for a tram 3T when i should be looking for a 3B on my way back to the port. Please advise ... thank you again. :)

Guest LetMeGo
Thanks, Tero!

You have been a Viking beyond belief! (Are Finns VIkings?)

I have a limitation on how much walking I can do, so covering 10 miles on foot is not an option.

I think I will follow your advice and take the buses and trams with the 7 Euro charge, Sounds like a deal!

Also, I have heard pros and cons re: the boat. On your advice I think I'll pass!

Lynn

No problem! (I seem to remember that the Finnish people have nothing to do with vikings,... ;) )

Have a good time. :)

Guest LetMeGo
Tero, Hello there... another question please... the tram 3T is it the same tram as 3B? Is 3T from the port towards the city and 3B is from the city travelling towards the port? So 3T becomes 3B? I just want to know as I don't want to be waiting for a tram 3T when i should be looking for a 3B on my way back to the port. Please advise ... thank you again. :)

Hi. The tram #3 goes on a circular route shaped roughly like an eight, and the T and B trams go around the same route in opposite directions. The tram map of Helsinki has the direction marked at the very top and very bottom of the route.

If you want to just tour the city, it doesn't matter which tram you take as they will both travel the same route. If you know where you're going, you should have a look at the map... Sometimes it doesn't matter which direction you go in, and sometimes it means an extra 45 minutes if you go into the wrong direction. :D

The #3 has the most confusing line in Helsinki, especially at the corner of Aleksanterinkatu and Mannerheimintie (near Stockmann) where both of the lines travel in both directions. Sometimes it's jokingly said that only the "real" residents of Helsinki will know the route... And believe me, many people don't know. :D

But as long as you board it at any other point and remember the 8-shaped route, there should be absolutely no problems. :cool:

Guest LetMeGo

The first picture is the lutheran cathedral, which is located at one side of the Senate square (1/3 mile from the shuttle bus drop off point, or along the route of bus #16 from the port).

The second picture is the Sibelius monument, locate two miles North - Northwest of the pier, accesible by bus #24 from the Swedish theatre, bus #14B from the port, or trams #3T,4,7A & 10 from the city centre.

The last two pictures are the main entrance and the inside of the Temppeliaukio (Temple Square) rock church 2/3 mile from the city centre, accesible by bus #14B from the port, or by tram 3T from Aleksanterinkatu in front of the Stockmann department store.

Tero,

I'm so happy to see your itinerary. It's really good and I'll be following it. If I get lost, I'm coming to your house for more direction!! Seriously, I took a quick glance through and check with some travel book, basically you said it all. The bus Q/A was awesome. I went to the site, priinted off some schedules, map for bus 16. Quick question for now (I'm sure I'll have more later)

1) I think I read that the market square is open 10 - 4pm. What time would you best recommend? Is bargaining expected? Euros only Im assuming, no usd?

2) In the afternoon, around 3 or 4 (on a Tuesday), how long approx. would the bus take from Erottaja back the the pier on bus 16?

3) From the pier, bus 14B also takes you close to the Tram 3 right? Or maybe not directly on it, but wouldn't be too far right?

4) At the end of doing everything, does it make sense to just take Tram 3 and go around the "8" or is that more or less time wasted? What I mean is whould "8" be scenic? How long does the entire course take?

Thanks. I look forward to your response. :D

Guest LetMeGo
Tero,

I'm so happy to see your itinerary. It's really good and I'll be following it. If I get lost, I'm coming to your house for more direction!! Seriously, I took a quick glance through and check with some travel book, basically you said it all. The bus Q/A was awesome. I went to the site, priinted off some schedules, map for bus 16. Quick question for now (I'm sure I'll have more later)

1) I think I read that the market square is open 10 - 4pm. What time would you best recommend? Is bargaining expected? Euros only Im assuming, no usd?

The main market square (next to the Senate square) is open between 6.30 and 6pm on weekdays... For the first few hours it's mainly for foodstuff, but around 9 or 10 the souvenir salesmen will come there. It isn't customary for Finnish people to bargain, but I'm sure most of the tourist items can be bought for rounded down prices (e.g from 34€ -> 30€) if you buy several items from the same booth. Some private persons might take $'s as well, but I wouldn't expect it. If you have cash $'s, you can exchange it in one of the offices on the Pohjoisesplanadi.

2) In the afternoon, around 3 or 4 (on a Tuesday), how long approx. would the bus take from Erottaja back the the pier on bus 16?

The rush hour starts around 3.30 on weekdays, and on average you can expect the 2 mile bus ride to take 15 minutes from the stop in front of the "Free Record Shop" store in Mannerheimintie... It isn't much slower because half of the journey is in the industrial street of Hernesaari.

3) From the pier, bus 14B also takes you close to the Tram 3 right? Or maybe not directly on it, but wouldn't be too far right?

Yes, you can take the bus #14B for about half dozen stops, and get off at the Viiskulma stop (a corner of five streets, between the two record shops) where the tram will go from the same stop. Alternatively you can ride the bus all the way to the rock church at the Kauppakorkeakoulut stop, and take the #3 tram from there. (Just remember that the church won't open before 10!)

4) At the end of doing everything, does it make sense to just take Tram 3 and go around the "8" or is that more or less time wasted? What I mean is whould "8" be scenic? How long does the entire course take?

Thanks. I look forward to your response. :D

I wouldn't exactly call the city very scenic. :D

The whole tour of the tram #3 takes 50-60 minutes depending on traffic, and it will pass by very close to most of the sights in he city. I would say the best way to use it is instead of the hoho bus.

It has more stops closer to the sights, it moves more often, it's cheaper, and you get to see some of the local people as well... You can basically cover the itinerary I suggested in the start of this thread with that one tram going in a circle and getting of every few stops in the southern half.

I hope this has helped you...

Archived