Helsinki Question For Tero

Hello! May I ask a few more questions? When leaving Hernesaari port, will I pass by the Uspenski cathedral on my way to Esplanadi ? Is this cathedral close to this port? What about the Presidential Palace? Is there also a changing of the guard at this place? I do not think I've found much info on this. How will I get to these two places from Hernesaari? I don't think the tram travels to these places, I'm not sure i've seen it in the brochure that you've shown us. Thank you very much for any advice. :)

Hello! May I ask a few more questions? When leaving Hernesaari port, will I pass by the Uspenski cathedral on my way to Esplanadi ? Is this cathedral close to this port? What about the Presidential Palace? Is there also a changing of the guard at this place? I do not think I've found much info on this. How will I get to these two places from Hernesaari? I don't think the tram travels to these places, I'm not sure i've seen it in the brochure that you've shown us. Thank you very much for any advice. :)

Hi.

The Hernesaari pier is a few miles from the city centre, and you will not pass any of the major sights on your way directly to the city centre.

On this map of the Helsinki tram lines Hernesaari would be right below the centre of the map, south of the Länsiterminaali text. Uspenski cathedral would be in Katajanokka, at the southern end of tram line #4 marked with red, above the highest point of the group of four ship symbols marking ports and terminals. From Hernesaari you can either walk one mile to the tram line #3 or #6, or two miles to the city.

The bus #16 leaving from the port will take you to Esplanadi, past the market square and Senate square. I think your best choice would be to get off the bus when you see the Uspenski cathedral and the market square at the end of Esplanadi. As you walk along the pier past the market square to the cathedral, you will see the Presidential palace on your left before halfway of the journey. There are no guards at the gate, so there will be no change of guards either... But if you do come on a Friday during the summer, there will be a small parade from the Senate square to a guard house next to the Presidential palace. You can't really reach the Uspenski cathedral by any public transport, as it's on top of a steep hill between two tram stops, and you will have to walk at least 300 metres to reach it.

Archived