Inside Staterooms on the Spirit

mkfan87

We will be leaving for Alaska at the end of August and have a total of 7 people. My dad decided to only book 2 inside staterooms I guess for the sake of saving money. From the pictures they seem really small with only 2 beds so I was wondering is there really enough room for 4 people?

I wouldn't want to be in one with 3 other people - too much luggage and not enough storage space - nevermind everyone waiting for the bathroom. But that's just me....some people would rather save the money and put up with cramped quarters.

:eek: I'm one for saving a buck but unless you are the "don't care where you sleep, even upside down hanging half way off a night table" type, I really think 4 would be cramped with luggage and general lack of walking around, sitting, and personal space. Picture the square footage, then imagine 3 pairs of shoes times 4 people on the floor, etc.

Usually not for free (unless you booked a guarantee - and even that's iffy). You can do an upsell if other cabins are available 4 weeks prior to the date of the cruise. But even with an upsell to an outside or balcony - it's still tight. I would just book a third cheap inside stateroom and then everyone will be more comfortable.

mkfan87- I had to smile when I read these replies. We just returned from the NCL SEA. We had 4 people in our cabin. My self, husband, and 2 sons age 17 and 21. It was only 119 square feet. It was great - plenty of storage space (one drawer even went unused.) The 2 top beds fold up during the day and are out of the way. We didn't spend that much time in the cabin anyway. We had absolutly no problems with that size room, and I believe yours will probably be at least 25 square feet larger than the one we had on the SEA. We also brought an over-the-door shoe holder for our shoes, camera and other small things, but still had plenty of counter and storeage space if we hadn't brought it. All our suitcases fit under the bed (in fact we brought 3 extra suitacase to drop off at an orphanage in Honduras)

All this I hope will put your mind at ease. (PS - my husband even slept on the top bunk because my 21 year old broke his wrist just before the trip and it was easier for him to be on the bottom bed)

oops - I forot to say. Guarantees are only booked if there are 2 people in the cabin, so that reason for an upgrade won't be an option.

Have a great cruise!

We just returned two weeks agon on the Spirit. We had an inside cabin. There are plenty of beds the two twins, a pull down on the wall, a trundle bed undeneath one and a little chair that pulls out into a sleeping thing.

The rooms will be cramped with all the luggage and clothing, but....you only sleep there. The only time we came into the room was to change our clothes and go to sleep. Good luck...you should be fine.

I have a couple of things for u to consider: if u all get along well, are very patient, no one snores and everyone goes to bed and gets up at the same time, doesn't need to use the bathroom at the same time, no one is fussy about what is on TV, wants to watch when others are sleeping and last but not least doesn't get sick - probably no problem - just a few things to consider though...most insides except HAL (at 182 - 185 sq ft inside) is just a very large closet after all. Could suggest u all try sleeping, eating in, watching TV, dressing & using the bathroom in line at nite and in the morning in a master bedroom at home for a week then if no problems go for it otherwise try for another cabin as well. Happy cruisin' - hope it works out. Plse post upon return and let us know..

If you read the description of the cabins on the Spirit, the only ones which can sleep four people are the inside cabins. It is very strange, but all the others say 1-3 passengers only.

cruisecrasy - you must spend a lot more time in your cabin than we did! It worked out great that my kids came in after I was asleep, I got up before they did and used the bathroom. None of us were in a hurry for anything. If my husband had to use the bathroom at the same time as me, I just waited or visa-versa, just like at home! My husband and I went back to the cabin a couple minutes early to get dressed for dinner, then sat on the bed and read while my kids got dressed. No problem. You don't have to do everything at the same time! There were too many other things to do, so the TV was rarely on. There are not too many choices on TV anyway, and no one minded what anyone else watched. Like I said, we were in no rush. As to eating together in the cabin, we didn't. We went to the dining room or buffet. Sometimes my kids would order room service, but they just ate on their beds, no problem for anyone else. Everyone in my family said we would do the same cruise again, even in the same small room.

We have an inside/Atlantic deck on the Sea @ 115 square feet for me, wife and 14 yr old daughter. Our cabin on the Celebration was 185 square feet. My question is-should we upgrade to an ob.view/Star or Norway deck @ 126 square feet for $81 more? Not worried about view, just the room. Thanks!

If the price is $81.00 total for the 3 of you, that little extra space might be worth it (especially if you are used to 185 sq ft - wow), but not if it is $81 for each of you. We had 4 of us in 119 sq ft outside cabin. Not a problem for us. We've been in bigger rooms, but really didn't mind the smaller.

I think you will not like inside staterooms for 4 people. Plenty of room for two and I think it would be OK for 3. 4 is too much in my opinion and I’ll explain you why: I think the inside cabins on the Spirit are the same as on the Dawn meaning 2 beds + 1 bed hidden under one of those 2 main beds. At night, they take the hidden bed and put it between the 2 main beds (it makes a very large, wall to wall, bed for 3) then, they also have a bed folded against the wall that they unfold at night.

Can you figure what I talk about? 1 wall to wall bed for 3 + one upper bed for one, and there would also be a ladder in the way. If the teens are with your grandparents, it means one teen will need to sleep on the wall to wall bed with the grandparents. I think neither the teens nor the grandparents will like that. A third room would be the best. If you still go with only 2 rooms, make sure to pack VERY light because you will have only 1 bed where you can store the empty suitcases and the storage space in meant for 2, really not for 4. Usually, there is self-service laundry room you can use.

My sister had a inside with her husband & 2 kids (20 &17). Their room was described almost as jp2001 described except the "hidden bed" that was underneath was lower to the ground then the other beds. So it was not like 1 big bed - there was only a cople of inches between the 3 beds, but since the middle one was only a few inches off the ground, it really felt like 3 seperate beds. I offered to let my nephew stay with us (since I had extra room), but once they got settled in, they said it was fine.

Now - if you really want a big inside room, book room 6035. My cousin & her 2 kids had that room & it was huge.. They had enough beds for 5 (2 normal beds, 1 upper, 1 trundle, 1 fold-out chair.) The space between the 2 beds was at least twice the size of my sisters. If you look at the map on the web site, you will see that that room is bigger on the diagram then the others. Funny thing was that my cousin booked late - a month before the cruise date. We thought maybe they held it for a handicap room & that why she got it (i.e. they hold it for handicap or until the last bookings..) I think it was twice the size of my sister room - which was a think was a more expensive room since it was on deck 10 or 11.

I think I am kind of in a similar situation but we may have a bit more space. We are also 7 people but we have 3 cabins. One cabin is for me and my sister. Another one for my parents and the third one for my aunt, uncle and their 8 year old daughter. Works for me! (Though we really tried hard to get an exterior room/balcony, we were out of luck, but hopefully we have just as much as fun as the rest of the people).

I can't wait!

Archived