Best time to book

Pilgrim Pete

I am looking the Caribbean, next December on the Constellation. When should I book considering the following: -

1. We are Select CC members (reciprocal arrangement with RCI) and looking at a CC veranda.

2. We will be sailing on the Galaxy in Europe later this month.

3. There is likely to be discount coupons later this year / early next year.

4. We are UK residents and would NOT have deposits refunded.

So taking all the above into account when should we book? Thanks.

In my opinion, I would book as soon as possible to garner the BEST of the CC cabins, maybe even an aft, and at usually the lowest price.

I can only speak for myself, but I would rather defacto "pay up" for a great cabin and forgo the OBC and /or coupon. If none of the best cabins are available, then it is a new game and book onboard.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

As long as it is not the "holiday" cruise during Christmas or New Year's you can book either way. However as the previous poster mentioned if you want a "premium cabin" it is best to book early. Here's my experience, I booked 15 months out for a summer cruise to snag a CC aft cabin - they vanished within 30 days of being available. On the other hand, I waited to book a Christmas cruise until I got on a cruise in January which was 11 months away from my next cruise and lost out on getting a balcony room as they were sold out - I am now paying the verandah price but only getting the oceanview room. I did get the onboard booking credit but that didn't even out the increased rate I had to pay.:p

I am looking the Caribbean, next December on the Constellation. When should I book considering the following: -

1. We are Select CC members (reciprocal arrangement with RCI) and looking at a CC veranda.

It is true for Brits, once you make your booking you will suffer monetarily if you cancel your booking.... you are penalised unlike US residents I believe who can book and pay nothing up to 70 days before sail date , get OBC and then cancel or defer????. We have waited until the 70 day time runs out for a particular cruise to see what cabins were obviously "let go" but you have only a limited choice of cabin.

If you want a specific cabin perhaps it would be best to "bite the bullet" ....sickening as it is to see "your" price drop afterwards.

Onboard bookings for another cruise does usually offer OBC but we have never felt able to take the opportunity for that as the cancellation fee might be more than the OBC.?????

We will be onboard "Century" 2nd Sept..booked direct with X UK and when the invoice came in there was a £40 overspend they say...don't know when and if we get a refund or if it will be applied to our OB A/C..the price must have gone down so they had to refund... the only explanation we could think of ????

In my opinion no time is a good time to book on Celebrity. They have gone down hill so far I don't see them coming back up.They were my favorite until about 3 years ago ,and since then they have really gotten filthy and run down.I have a friend that went on the Century shortly after the refurb and he said it was still filthy.No more for me.. TLS

It is true for Brits, once you make your booking you will suffer monetarily if you cancel your booking.... you are penalised unlike US residents I believe who can book and pay nothing up to 70 days before sail date ,

Let me clarify what we US cruisers pay. When we book we must deposit $100, $250 or $450 per person depending on the length of the cruise. The balance is due either 90 days (for holiday sailings) or 70 days prior to sail date. I don't think any cruise line will let you make a booking without any up front money.

We do have the option to cancel and get our deposit back if we do it before final payment is due, unlike you guys across the pond. That's a bummer!

Let me clarify what we US cruisers pay. When we book we must deposit $100, $250 or $450 per person depending on the length of the cruise. The balance is due either 90 days (for holiday sailings) or 70 days prior to sail date. I don't think any cruise line will let you make a booking without any up front money.

We do have the option to cancel and get our deposit back if we do it before final payment is due, unlike you guys across the pond. That's a bummer!

Thanks for the correction Char...you are indeed correct and perhaps it didn't sound like I knew about the deposit in what I wrote. Appreciate you telling it correctly...don't want to give wrong information in any way shape or form. We Brits do seem to get an unfair deal though however way you cut it.

Thank you all for your constructive input. It looks like I must focus on snagging a required cabin preference or holding on for the chance to gain $200 ship board credit and perhaps give up cabin choice and may be see a price rise. Would I be able to use a Captains Club saving coupon later in the year against a booking now either on line or whilst on the Galaxy later this month.

It reminds me of one of my favorite comic strips, Crankshaft. Crankshaft is planting a tree, and his neighbors ask him if it is a good time to plant a tree. He thinks a minute and replies, "The best time is 20 years ago, but the second best time is today!"

I'd book today.

If you are talking about the discount coupon thing that comes in from time to time from UK Celebrity/ RCCL Captain's Club saying they will give you "x" £££'s off on your cabin price on this specific cruise or that specific cruise...we have used one before and we did get the discount applied but there is an end date for making the booking if I recall correctly after which the discount is invalid.

Archived