Brilliance--7/22 to 8/3/06

Welcome Back and I am sure you had a wonderful time :)

We are looking forward to the med cruise on BOS next June and was just wondering if you went on any excursions that were not to be missed. Also heard time from port to city can be as long as more than an hour each way. Did that mess with your day and the plans you made? Did you by chance go to Lucca? We have previously spent several days in Rome, Florence and Capri so were looking for something other than the big city tours. (Sorry so many questions:o )

Whenever you have a chance to respond would be great and I appreciate any info at all.

mary,

we are going on the brilliance for my honeymoon from 09/12 to 09/20. then spending 2 days in barcelona. any tips fpor barcelona ? good restaurants, bars, tourist stops?

Thanks

NJTOM

Mary, we are looking to do a big family group in June 08 for the Med. We will have ages 5-83!! Do you think everybody will be happy on Brilliance or whould we think more about Voyager? We have previously been on the AOS.

We are going 9/07 . Where did you stay in Barcelona, and how was it? Also what tours did you do while there? The age old question... early or late seating, and did you tour on your own or through the ship. Of the tours you took which were the ones to avoid?

Thank you for any help you can provide.

We are going 9/07 . Where did you stay in Barcelona, and how was it? Also what tours did you do while there? The age old question... early or late seating, and did you tour on your own or through the ship. Of the tours you took which were the ones to avoid?

Thank you for any help you can provide.

We are on the 8/15/06 Brilliance cruise. My question is.... What type of currency did you use off of the ship? Was it dollars or euros? Also, if you used Euros, can you get them on on the ship? Thanks.

Mark

A few you mentioned hotels, especially if it is for a honeymoon, stay at the Hotel Arts (Ritz Carlton) it is outstanding and just outside of the Las Ramblas, and right on the beach. We went there for 4 nights pre-cruise on your honeymoon before the Brilliance and it was perfect.

Wasn't completely unreasonable, we paid around 300 euros/night.

Wow when did you manage to get the Arts for 300euro!! I've stayed there once and yes it is amazing and BY FAR THE BEST hotel in Barcelona, but whenever I've checked over the past couple of years it has always been 1000 Euro plus per night, which when we need 2 rooms is somewhat expensive! If you can afford though, or do manage to get a good deal, go for it without question it is the best.

For the OP - Barcelona is a relatively small city and really anywhere would be convenient for the Port. It is one of our favourite cities which we have visited several times. Things we would not dream of missing are:-

Park Guell Gaudi - walk to the very top and you will have the most amazing views of Barcelona. Some wonderful Guadi works as well.

Sagrada Familia Cathedral - this is the really famous one that is not yet finished

La Pedrera Casa Mila - probably the most well recognised Gaudi building

There is a very large Fort, high up on the hills overlooking the cruise harbour, again with wonderful views of the city called Catell de Montjuic.

We have never managed to actually see them, but the Magic Fountains of Montjuic are supposed to be fabulous.

For a very traditional but wonderful meal, visit El Asador De Aranda restaurant, their lamb is the best in the world ! www.asadoraranda.com

They have several locations on their website, but we ate at the one at Pau Claris 70, which is very centrally located. We have been known to visit Barcelona purely to eat at this restaurant!

Worth bearing in mind, a lot of restaurants don't open untl 9pm as the locals tend to eat very late. We booked a table at Asador for 9pm and were the only people there until well after 10pm - I couldn't eat a big meal that late though & still have a good nights sleep!

Our first morning there, we booked a taxi for 4 hours, I can't remember how much it cost, but it was a people carrier, which took all 6 of us. The driver was great, spoke excellent english and spent the morning doing exactly what we wanted. www.carscalipodes.com.

Lastly, the Med cruises are very port intensive with long days. Whilst we generally eat fairly early at home, we normally go for late seating on a cruise so that we can have a couple of hours rest before dinner.

You will have a great cruise

The 300 euro price was 3 years ago, so maybe prices went up? It was also in July, so I assume the rates might be better in the summer? While l loved the Hotel Arts, I'm not sure it is an absolute elite hotel worth over 1000 euros.

Good luck with the trip!

Just back from this 12-night Mediterranean cruise. We spent two extra days in Barcelona. We had a fabulous time. Be glad to answer any questions you might have.

M

Mary - where did you go? You seem to have vamoosed...:) :)

Possibly you have been busy post cruise. If you return to CC, would like to ask some ??'s about the ship

Archived