General Shore excursion question

cruisegirl

I think I probably know the answer to my question (don't ya love it when folks say that!) but since HAL is too busy to answer my question I thought I'd turn to you all. Actually I did leave a message (with several frustrated sighs included) but was told it might be 2-3 days before they answered.

Okay, here's the question. On the general listing of excursions for Alaska there is listed a transfer option for Seward to Anchorage - "Seward to Anchorage Cruisetrain." But when I try to book it, there is no listing for the dates of my cruise. Do you think it's no longer available or what? I thought it would still be listed and just say "sold out" or "wait list" only. What do you think?

There could be two answers to your question.

The first answer is that it is not being offered for your cruise, hence the date of your cruise is not listed or secondly, perhaps you can only purchase it once you are on board the ship.

I know with a lot of transfers, you can only buy them on board and not through the excursion site on the HAL website.

Hope this helps.

Jennie

Aussie, I can't give you an answer but I do know you can buy the transfers on the ship. That will be the best way: BTW, the tour from Seaward to Ancorage is really a wonderful experience, complete (if you are lucky) with seeing the Elk. We loved ours.NMNita

Thanks to both of you for your help. Am hoping to try HAL's excursion line again tomorrow and have better luck then. I think you well may be right that this type of excursion/transfer can only be purchased on board. Am hoping so. Just wish somewhere they'd say that!

I had the same problem on our upcoming Caribbean cruise... excursions were listed in the brochure for two ports but weren't accessible when I tried to book on-line. I did reach someone at HAL's shore excursion desk and she said they sometimes don't become available until 60 days prior to the cruise date. We're fast approaching that date so I keep checking.

I had the same problem on our upcoming Caribbean cruise... excursions were listed in the brochure for two ports but weren't accessible when I tried to book on-line. I did reach someone at HAL's shore excursion desk and she said they sometimes don't become available until 60 days prior to the cruise date. We're fast approaching that date so I keep checking.

Since we are about 17 days away from our "sail date" I don't think HAL's answer would apply to us. But I'd have to say that their answer to you sounds strange. I did read somewhere (must have been on the internet) that transfers (which is what I am trying to book) have to be booked online at least 21 days before a cruise. So, if that's the case I am hoping it's still available. I've left two phone messages for HAL's shore excursion desk and I've written an email but so far no response. Frustrating! Guess I should call my TA and ask them but they're not a heck of a lot more helpful than HAL.

Hi Ann,

So are you traveling on the Statendam on 8/25, cruisetour #15? That's our tour and we chose the Kenai Fjords cruise transfer upgrade. We booked it online; I did initially have a problem where it didn't show up. We tried linking my booking to my sister's and other things to try to sort things out but nothing worked. Until the next day when everything was suddently fine again. So maybe it's just a glitch on the website.

Other members of our group tried to book the cruise after we did and the tour showed up as full and they were waitlisted.

None of that helps you but it does tell you that it should be possible to book the transfer online and that if it was simply sold out, the website should tell you that.

Margaret

Margaret,

Thanks for telling me of your experience. I could just shoot myself for not booking the cruisetrain sooner. Like you, I would think if it's not available, as in sold out, that would show up. Think maybe I should check this out on a daily basis. I'm a stubborn woman -I don't give up easily!

I think I probably know the answer to my question (don't ya love it when folks say that!) but since HAL is too busy to answer my question I thought I'd turn to you all. Actually I did leave a message (with several frustrated sighs included) but was told it might be 2-3 days before they answered.

Okay, here's the question. On the general listing of excursions for Alaska there is listed a transfer option for Seward to Anchorage - "Seward to Anchorage Cruisetrain." But when I try to book it, there is no listing for the dates of my cruise. Do you think it's no longer available or what? I thought it would still be listed and just say "sold out" or "wait list" only. What do you think?

OK, don't panic! Most of the tours, transfers or upgrades on disembarkation day, you can purchase onboard. There is always room on the cruisetrain and it is for sure the most spectacular way to go (unless of course you love wildlife, then I would go for the Kenai Fjords National Park tour, totally awesome for marine wildlife and scenery.) The easiest way for you to book your tour is when you get onboard, just fill out the form that will be in your stateroom. If you already purchased a ship to airport transfer, take this out of your travel documents book and take it, with the completed form to the Shore Excursions Desk on Deck 7 and put it in the drop slot. The staff there will then send you your tickets. No worries if you didn't already purchase the ship/airport transfer, it will just mean that you pay a different price due to you not already having paid out for the transfer. If you are on a tour after your cruise, just make sure that you are staying over night in Anchorage the day you disembark and all will be fine! Enjoy your cruise, Alaska is a magial place.

In light of our conversations on this, I thought you'd be interested in hearing about the surprise I received when the cruise documents came a couple of days ago. Seems we are already booked on the cruisetrain from Seward to Anchorage! I'm not sure how that happened except we are going as a part of a 40-person group. Am wondering if the cruise company just did that for us or maybe the TA did. Anyway, I finally decided that's probably why the choice didn't show up on the web for our cruise. The computer is smarter than me! It knew we were already booked! I have no idea if we paid extra to be on the train but it doesn't look like we did.

Guess life is just full of surprises!

Archived