Day Trip - Venice - Milan - Venice

We have flown into Milan prior to traveling to other places in Italy. Milan is the business center for Italy. Honestly, there's not a whole to see there. The main attraction is Michelangelo's fresco - The Last Supper. You must reserve far ahead of time. We were not able to get reservations 8 weeks ahead of time even through our concierge. We even tried to see if there were any no-shows but had no luck.:)

Venice to Milan is about 3 hours by train each way. Depending on what you want to see in Milan, it may or may not be worth the time to you. Our daughter is studying to be an opera singer, and seeing La Scala Opera House is on the top of her hit parade, so the train to Milan is a must for us. The Last Supper and superior and very expensive shopping are 2 other reasons for a side trip to Milan. But honestly, there is tons to do in Venice and the small islands in the lagoon.

Unless you're just itching to go to Milan, there are so many areas that are closer to Venice by train. I've spent a day in Milan, but the main attraction in the Milan area for us is the Lake Como area. I highly recommend a trip to Burano while you are in Venice and to Murano if you are interested in glass purchases. I have spent 42 days in Venice and would recommend that you spend at least two full days there (more is always better!). Torcello and Burano make a great day trip. Have you considered Padua, Verona, or Vicenza? We also loved our side trip to the Brenta Canal (see http://frommers.com/destinations/padua/0725010011.html). But if you really want to see Milan, I think you should go for it.

Have a great trip,

Donna

Thanks for everyone's suggestion, Sounds like there is just too much to see in Venice and we will need all our time while we are there.

Will save Milan for the next trip. dbh62ark, Thanks for all your suggestion on what to see for side trips.

Neil

Archived