NYC Newbie Airport Questions!

Jacquelyn11

Family of 4 planning a 8 day cruise followed by 6 days in NYC!

Just looked up on Delta and to fly into Newark from Atlanta is $20 cheaper per ticket than LGA or JFK. Our pre cruise hotel is the Embassy Suites near the WTC site (Which I'm assuming is Lower Manhatten, correct me if I'm wrong!) Since time is not an issue which is most economical way to get from the airport to the hotel?

LGA has shuttles to Midtown but most do not go further than 25th street. The shuttles from Newark do serve Lower Manhatten.

Since we will most likey have 8 pieces of luggage :eek: Would it be better to arrange a shuttle from the hotel to the pier or just try for 2 cabs?

Post cruise we are planning the DoubleTree Times Square. Shuttles or cabs back to Newark?

Thanks in advance for helping the G.R.I.T.S. (Girl Raised in the South!)

Jacquelyn :D

We stayed at Embassy Suites in June. Very nice hotel and great location ... you can easily walk to Battery Park for the ferry to Statue of Liberty, to the World Trade Center site, etc. The new subway complex has been completed and is also just a short walk. But to answer your question about airports, four of us flew into LaGuardia and one mini-van transported us to Embassy Suites. I believe the fare was $40 to $50. See the Embassy Suites review at http://www.tripadvisor.com for more details. Embassy Suites is #4 in overall customer satisfaction. If you read all of the reviews, you'll pick up lots of tips.

To get the door to door service I want, I most likely will take the shuttle. Since I will be saving $80 if I go into Newark, this would cover the cost of a shuttle or cabs. I also use Trip Advisor to help me pick the Double Tree as our post cruise hotel. You can find out the "real story" about places.

I'm glad you found the ES both nice and conveinent! That's what I was hoping in choosing it also. How much was the cab fare to the pier?

I know I have over 9 months till I get to go, but I'm really looking forward to it!

The ground transportation desk at Newark airport should be able to help you arrange the best transportation after you have picked up your luggage. They will probably put the four of you into a supershuttle minivan which has room for luggage and should be considerably cheaper than two taxis.

The Embassy Suites hotel is in lower Manhattan. The neighborhood is called Battery Park City. You will be very close to the North Cove Marina (on the Hudson River, oustide of the World Financial Center Wintergarden) where you can enjoy outdoor dining with a view of the yachts. There are one or two sailing yachts in the North Cove that take people quite close to the Statue of Liberty.

You will also be very close to Tribeca, home to some of the world's finest restaurants.

I LOVE dining by the water! We were at Marco Island for Thanksgiving a couple of years ago and ate at a bay side restaurant. We skipped the Turkey and had crab and fresh fish instead!! :cool:

Do you have any recommendations for restaurants at North Cove? I saw Steamers Landing in one of the on line guides.

Also saw a listing for a Bubby's Pie Co. on Huston St. Do you know if it lives up to it's wonderful write-ups?

I have looked into Super Shuttle and that seems like my best bet. They have a website so I'll set up a ressie there.

Thanks again for the help!

Just call Carmel or Tel-Aviv car service and hire a car or limo. A car and driver is just a couple of dollars more than the cab, much much nicer than a shuttle and around the same price as a shuttle. The car service is around $42.

I'd much rather ride into Manhattan in the back of a Lincoln Town Car than a bus or cab.

I mainly stay downtown and use Carmel all the time. #212-777-7777.

I viewed your video on You Tube! I'm a big Rascal Flatts fan too!

If I wasn't already booked and paid for on 5/27 I would think about crusing with you! They offered a Cat 11 Gurantee and I upgraded to this! I'm sure you all will have a great time!!

I LOVE dining by the water! We were at Marco Island for Thanksgiving a couple of years ago and ate at a bay side restaurant. We skipped the Turkey and had crab and fresh fish instead!! :cool:

Do you have any recommendations for restaurants at North Cove? I saw Steamers Landing in one of the on line guides.

Also saw a listing for a Bubby's Pie Co. on Huston St. Do you know if it lives up to it's wonderful write-ups?

I have looked into Super Shuttle and that seems like my best bet. They have a website so I'll set up a ressie there.

Thanks again for the help!

I have not eaten at Steamers Landing in over 10 years, so I can't comment. Bubby's Pie is like a very very good Denny's restaurant. Nothing particularly special on the menu, but an extremely popular place. I do not get the draw of the place.

On the water at the North Cove you can eat at SOUTHWEST NEW YORK restaurant which has good food at fair prices. You will be close to Tribeca, which has some of the best restaurants in America, and you need to decide how much you want to spend and what type of food you would like to eat in order to make the best selection. Zagats publishes a decent guide and http://www.menupages.com has menus for thousands of NYC restaurants available for free on line.

I had not though about the limo option. This would be more relaxing and get the door to door I want. I'll keep Carmel in mind!

The menu pages are great Papa-Dave! Looks like I will need to work double time on my before I cruise diet just to enjoy all the offerings on the ship AND in NYC!

I had not though about the limo option. This would be more relaxing and get the door to door I want. I'll keep Carmel in mind!

The menu pages are great Papa-Dave! Looks like I will need to work double time on my before I cruise diet just to enjoy all the offerings on the ship AND in NYC!

Actually if it is $42.00 it is less than a cab. The flat rate from Newark to WTC area is $45,.00 plus tolls and tip. Going back the rate for a NY cab is Meter plus $15.00 plus round trip tolls and tip. NY cabs can't pick up at Newark and you pay the $15.00 not as tip but for the cost of the cab to get back to the closest point in NYC.

Archived