Norway - Latest News

marktac

Why are the lifeboats still on the ship? I would have thought they would have value and be sold off.

They do have value and they will be sold off...by the breaker company that now owns the ship. They will remove everything of value and sell it, either to brokers or to the vendors that make up the majority of the city. If you read the article that is on maritimematters.com about Alang you will discover the remains of many a ship have ended up literally all over the world.

It would appear to be a very lucrative business effort.

Mark T

The SS Norway (SS France) was beached today and is now in the scrapyard of Alang, India for dismantling.

actually, it was beached three or four days ago and the pictures have just come available today. but it is sad to see her there beached.

I find it interesting, as the OP, that despite the protestations of one CC staffer there is still no "news" on CC about the Norway and her recent travails. I never cruised on her, and haven't really thoroughly enjoyed my 3 cruises on NCL in the past, but I saw this as a significant cruising event that was NOT being covered except on maritimematters.com. That is why I started the thread.

CC, if you are as significant a cruising periodical as you think you are in your own mind, why not step up and at least put a little teaser on the front page indicating that the ship has, in fact, been beached, causing it more damage I'm sure, and that there are legal people trying now to determine its status and fate.

THAT is what the other Mark was curious about, and now so am I.

Mark T

I had to wait to respond to this because I was worried that MY boiler would blow. To me it seems quite impolite to come here and flat-out insult your host; obviously you think it's ok. I don't. I was brought up better.

That said, I do not speak for the company but I can assure you, I will forward this thread to the editor and I am sure she will, once SHE gets over the insulting insinuations, respond to your queries.

Neither Martin nor any contributors at Maritime Matters has posited any theories as to what happened in the history of Norway's demise, they have just posted a chronology. They do that at Maritime Matters, we do not at Cruise Critic.

In my first response to Mark I mentioned that news of general interest is posted daily on the front page. The key word is "general." A fire on Star Princess or a severe list on the new Crown Princess, a 70-foot wave hitting Norwegian Dawn, the new Carnival Freedom homeporting in Miami... that's "general interest" to the core cruise community.

In this thread you have a couple of conspiracy theorists, a couple of historians, some people who stopped by to pay their respects, and some, like me, just curious.

Again, I do not speak for Cruise Critic, but so far, in the context of this site and the community it serves, the only "news" is that she is beached at Alang, but will she stay? Will demolition begin? And since this has been such a long time coming, it isn't news, it's a feature. MarkTac, as to your query about a fitting "obituary," I emtioned earlier in the thread that that is coming. I will have the privilege of interviewing Peter Knego, of writing the article; there will be photos, but for sundry reasons, it will not be immediate.

None of this has anything to do with ties to a particular cruise line or even with keeping people happy and wanting to cruise. Editorial decisions are made very day as to what is of interest to the general Cruise Critic membership, and sometimes, unique events that deeply affect SOME members don't translate to what is of interest to most. That's why there are other sites, like Maritime Matters, CruiseJunkies, and SSMaritime.

And now back to manners. Cruise Critic's editor, Carolyn Spencer Brown, is a consummate professional who came to this site directly from The Washington Post. It is a privilege to me to be able to work with her. I don't take kindly to slurs about the editorial process here, but more than that, I have concerns about your agendas. You obviously don't pay too much attention to the editorial side of things in any event, because Carolyn solicits story ideas. Every day. In as many ways as she possibly can. So maybe if the two of you had taken the time to send an e-mail requesting coverage, it either would have happened or you would have received an explanation as to why it wasn't appropriate.

You didn't do that and instead you insulate yourself in this thread and cast stones.

Shame on you.

Jana

I find it interesting, as the OP, that despite the protestations of one CC staffer there is still no "news" on CC about the Norway and her recent travails. I never cruised on her, and haven't really thoroughly enjoyed my 3 cruises on NCL in the past, but I saw this as a significant cruising event that was NOT being covered except on maritimematters.com. That is why I started the thread.

CC, if you are as significant a cruising periodical as you think you are in your own mind, why not step up and at least put a little teaser on the front page indicating that the ship has, in fact, been beached, causing it more damage I'm sure, and that there are legal people trying now to determine its status and fate.

THAT is what the other Mark was curious about, and now so am I.

Mark T

I had to wait to respond to this because I was worried that MY boiler would blow. To me it seems quite impolite to come here and flat-out insult your host; obviously you think it's ok. I don't. I was brought up better.

That said, I do not speak for the company but I can assure you, I will forward this thread to the editor and I am sure she will, once SHE gets over the insulting insinuations, respond to your queries.

Neither Martin nor any contributors at Maritime Matters has posited any theories as to what happened in the history of Norway's demise, they have just posted a chronology. They do that at Maritime Matters, we do not at Cruise Critic.

In my first response to Mark I mentioned that news of general interest is posted daily on the front page. The key word is "general." A fire on Star Princess or a severe list on the new Crown Princess, a 70-foot wave hitting Norwegian Dawn, the new Carnival Freedom homeporting in Miami... that's "general interest" to the core cruise community.

In this thread you have a couple of conspiracy theorists, a couple of historians, some people who stopped by to pay their respects, and some, like me, just curious.

Again, I do not speak for Cruise Critic, but so far, in the context of this site and the community it serves, there is NO NEWS. She is beached at Alang, but will she stay? Will demolition begin? And since this has been such a long time coming, it isn't news, it's a feature. I will have the privilege of interviewing Peter Knego, of writing the article, and it will not be immediate.

None of this has anything to do with ties to a particular cruise line or even with keeping people happy and wanting to cruise. Editorial decisions are made very day as to what is of interest to the general Cruise Critic membership, and sometimes, unique events that deeply affect SOME members don't translate to what is of interest to most. That's why there are other sites, like Maritime Matters, CruiseJunkies, and SSMaritime.

And now back to manners. Cruise Critic's editor, Carolyn Spencer Brown, is a consummate professional who came to this site directly from The Washington Post. It is a privilege to me to be able to work with her. I don't take kindly to slurs about the editorial process here, but more than that, I have concerns about your agendas. You obviously don't pay too much attention to the editorial side of things in any event, because Carolyn solicits story ideas. Every day. In as many ways as she possibly can. So maybe if the two of you had taken the time to send an e-mail requesting coverage, it either would have happened or you would have received an explanation as to why it wasn't appropriate.

You didn't do that and instead you insulate yourself in this thread and cast stones. Nasty, snarky comments.

Shame on you.

Jana

Mark T

I too think it is a story worth a mention at least. If I look at it another way this commercial site is all about promoting the current cruise industry.

Shoreguy, you've racked up nearly 15,000 posts since the "new" board more than two years ago; you're knowledgeable and astute. You can't possibly believe that! Promoting the cruise industry? How about giving people like you and me and the two Marks, and Ann and Unforgiven and everyone else in this thread a place to express ourselves? How about the timely features and reviews in the editorial section? Of course it's "commercial..." the cost of the bandwidth to run the community section alone is astronomical. But its purpose is hardly to "promote the current cruise industry." That task falls to CLIA/ICCL - now combined - the trade organizations for the cruise industry.

Bad news does not sell a cruise :)
Well, maybe not, but it sure gets people interested! "If it bleeds, it leads;" the mantra for major news organizations world-wide. Even so, that's news... and one shouldn't confuse the editorial division with the selling of cruises. Our job is to give information. Sure the company advertises (see above) but we don't just offer happy news all the time.

If you read this thread many are hear on the NCL board because they are sad even mad. No intention of ever booking an NCL cruise. Several have pointed out a complete dislike for the industry.

There's a big difference between "this thread" and the NCL board. And don't forget, there are plenty of other boards; sometimes we NCL fans forget that there are other lines! There are some complainers, and some who hate the industry, that's a given. But articles aren't slanted to keep people from getting riled up. Carolyn and Melissa (the associate editor) pull no punches in that regard. When there's a story to tell and facts to back it up, the chips fall where they may, even if it's detrimental to a specific line or the industry as a whole.

If you were running a business like this are those the people you want to tailor your articles to:confused: They are not going to click on the ads and drive income.

See above ;)

Unlike a newsgroup this is a private site with a business plan. Throwing rocks does not help that plan.

The community section is somewhat like a newsgroup but easier to read :) My umbrage comes when someone who is obviously very opinionated -and that's fine, that's what these boards are for- decides to dictate to the editorial side what should and shouldn't constitute news, and how that news should be presented.

I know that you are trying to moderate the "attacks" on Cruise Critic and I am very grateful to you. But I'm opinionated too and, like I said, I do not in any way speak for Cruise Critic, my comments are solely my own, and it just kills me to see my work and that of Carolyn and Melissa maligned in any way. So despite my gratitude, I just wanted to set you straight on a couple of issues. Integrity is a big part of being a journalist or an editor and when it's questioned, it's akin to attacking one's mama.

If we do see an article my bet it will not be about what some here see as "lies" but rather a nice story of the passing of a grand ship. Sad ending with a focus the grand days the ship had. The spin has to make people want to cruise not hate the current industry. Leave that to cruisejunkie, Green Peace and Maritime Matters.

Just my $.02 from the outside looking in.

You're probably right about the nature of the article, but not about the "spin." The story will be what the story will be, warts and all, if appropriate to the story. But we deal with checkable facts, not speculation.

Jana

Again, I do not speak for Cruise Critic, but so far, in the context of this site and the community it serves, the only "news" is that she is beached at Alang, but will she stay? Will demolition begin? And since this has been such a long time coming, it isn't news, it's a feature. MarkTac, as to your query about a fitting "obituary," I emtioned earlier in the thread that that is coming. I will have the privilege of interviewing Peter Knego, of writing the article; there will be photos, but for sundry reasons, it will not be immediate.

You didn't do that and instead you insulate yourself in this thread and cast stones.

Shame on you.

Jana

"I have never once have I insulted the management at CC. All I did was ask why there was no story yet, and when it was coming."

"If the editor is insulted, she should look twice at the entire thread. I was not the one who brought up any suggestion that CC was biased in any way. All I did was wonder out loud why, with all the history of the France/Norway there was not so much as a peep from CC. I have never slurred her or anyone else on this board. Surely you recognized the difference between posters with similar monikers, didn't you?"

Jana, give me a break! I fail to understand your eagerness to jump in and say "shame on you" over an issue where people who have supported your venture (yes, you are paid based upon the hits we folk make to your advertisers, and I have followed a few links.) were asking a question, at least in my case.

I have not encouraged conspiracies, nor have I said anything about NCL/Star and their part in this. I simply thought the France/Norway was timely, and that it is news. On that area you and I disagree.

I don't know you from Eve, but if this is how you respond to people who wonder what is happening in the current events of cruising and how CC may or may not handle it, then it is probably best that we not meet....ever.

I, too, have principles. Unlike some who will call names and make claims from a position of ignorance (and you know who you are), I have tried to be civil and simply asked what is happening. I thought that was what CC was all about, but after reading your many responses I am not so sure anymore.

Mark T

I had to add one more thing...I apologize to those who got on this thread hoping to find out about the demise of the Norway. That is why I began this thread. It would appear that someone unknown to me wants to hijack it for their own purposes. I am asking now that the thread be closed.

Mark T,

Glad to know you are still here with us...very nice response...for a while I thought Jana had scared you away when she let you have it with both barrels...glad I was wrong!

These boards tend to get a little boring without a few heated exchanges of ideas and opinions and this thread is definitely not boring.

Mark:cool:

Mark T,

Glad to know you are still here with us...very nice response...for a while I thought Jana had scared you away when she let you have it with both barrels...glad I was wrong!

These boards tend to get a little boring without a few heated exchanges of ideas and opinions and this thread is definitely not boring.

Mark:cool:

I have no intention of running off. What frosts me is here is a woman who has a job talking about travel for a TV station who fails to see the significance of the death of the last true ocean liner. Her response to my question is to call me names.

That may go over well in TV land, but here in the real world people know better. She seems to have stumbled into doing the very thing that I so dislike on these boards....slamming people willy-nilly because they may not see eye-to-eye. People can agree to disagree, but for someone who it would seem is not even employed (or even a volunteer host) by CC to charge into the fray as she did is unseemly at best.

If CC doesn't want to say another thing about the Norway, so be it. It is their web site, and as I have been so curtly reminded by Ms. Jones, they can do what they want to.

I just thought that it was important, current news. This is my last on this thread. No news here.

Mark T

I just wanted to say that reading this thread encouraged me to go over to maritime matters and read about "ship-breaking" in Alang, a process and a place I had never heard of. Now I am completely hooked and am well on the way to being an "old liner junkie".

So I am grateful that the info was here. The little twists and turns along the way might have gone a bit off topic, but added to the overall fun...thanks VERY much to the OP!!! :)

I find it interesting, as the OP, that despite the protestations of one CC staffer there is still no "news" on CC about the Norway and her recent travails. ...

Mark T

This is what set me off. I didn't call you names, I said that if you think it's ok to insult your host, you have bad manners.

Now you want the thread closed. Maybe the exposure is too much, I don't know. But you're still going on about the issue, hard news vs. special interest, Cruise Critic vs. special interest sites that can more appropriately address your desires.

Seriously, I apologise if I hurt your feelings. That doesn't mean I will sit back and allow you to insult this organization or its editorial staff at will.

I do, and did, acknowledge the fact that you are not one of the conspiracy theorists. But what you said above is just mean-spirited, unnecessary, and rude, and it hurt my feelings.

Please accept my apology. Now it's your turn.

Jana

I wish we would stick to the subject more.

I've posted several times on this thread, and I just realised that I have given my opinion over the fate of the Norway yet.

Let's face it, scrapping ships is a hazardous job, even in America. Abestos exposure lawsuits have made this task almost impossible to do in America anymore as it's too expensive. Most private parties and workers shun this type of work in the Western world. But it is a job that many Asians will still do, and at much cheaper wages. That's why there so many breaker's yards in Asia.

I wish Asians had better worker protection laws, but western world standards for doing this job can't be forced upon the third world. It has to be generated and legislated from within those countries.

More than just cruise ships are broken down at these Asian yards. I don't question that Asian workers working conditions are dismal. But the Norway is just one ship, from hundreds than needs to be scrapped and will be scrapped in Asia. I fail to see how just one additional ship will make any difference to their health and safety.

In March 2000, Star Cruises bought NCL. With new ownership comes new strategic policies and plans. The Freestyle Cruising concept that originated with Star Cruises was adopted by NCL. All new ships ordered by NCL and delivered to NCL from that time have been built with Freestyle Cruising in mind. NCL received the Star and Dawn directly from the shipyard, although they were originally ordered for Star Cruises. Their follow up sister ships, the Jewel, Pride of Hawaii, Pearl and Gem have added upon what the Star and Dawn provided. The Spirit, Star Cruises first new build and first ship built with Freestyle Cruising in mind, was transfered from Star Cruises to NCL in 2004. The Sky, now Pride of Aloha, was quickly changed to suppoort Freestyle Cruising. The new build Sun was NCL's first ship designed for Freestyle. The Pride of America, originally designed for America Hawaii Cruises, was stretched by 30 meters to support Freestyle Cruising. All these ships have multiple surcharge restaurants. All eventually with have hull art.

There are many who prefer the additional restaurant choices and book cruises aboard NCL ships. Many choose to book on NCL's larger and newer ships becuase they like having so many choices. Just look at the threads about NCL's newest ships and how many can't wait to cruise on them. Face it, new ships sell. But there are many who don't and won't book cruises on them, They prefer older ships. There are plenty of other threads about Freestyle Cruising on this forum where we can debate Freestyle.

All older ships in the NCL fleet were adapted for Freestyle with the addition of a Le Bristo restaurant, including the Norway. They don't quite fit NCL's strategic plans. The Sea has already left, and will be followed next year by the Crown and Wind. The Dream and Majesty will soon follow by the end of 2010. So would have the Norway. As long as the Norway was operational and maintenance costs were miminal, the Norway continued to sail from Miami, just like the other five older ships. But the boiler explosion aboard the Norway in 2003 ended her sailing days quicker than what NCL had planned. Let's face it, the continued operation of all NCL's older ships past 2010 wasn't going to happen anyways. It wasn't in NCL's long term plans to begin with.

Faced with an expensive repair bill, NCL obviously decided not to repair the Norway. They had other plans for their future in mind, and had since Star Cruises bought NCL in 2000.

If you read the links I posted in a previous post in this thread, especially about all the rumors about potential buyers for the Norway, it should be obvious NCL tried to sale the Norway to third parties in Europe and in Asia. When they failed to close these deals, mainly because of the Norway's repair costs, NCL turned the Norway into Star Cruises hands.

It's obvious NCL did not plan to repair the Norway upon receiving the insurance settlement. But it isn't obvious when NCL and Star Cruises decided to scrap her, as so many claim. Was it before the Norway left Germany, or after? Was it before the Norway left Malaysia or after? I've seen no proof that would stand up in any court either way.

It's sad to see the imminent demise of the Norway. But the Norway has been living on borrowed time since 2000 with NCL. It's been three full years since the boiler explosion, there has been time for interested buyers to make a deal, including other cruise lines and governments. I'm sorry no deal was made to save the Norway. I also wish that the Dubai group of investors expressed their wish to use her much sooner.

This is what set me off. I didn't call you names, I said that if you think it's ok to insult your host, you have bad manners.

Now you want the thread closed. Maybe the exposure is too much, I don't know. But you're still going on about the issue, hard news vs. special interest, Cruise Critic vs. special interest sites that can more appropriately address your desires.

Seriously, I apologise if I hurt your feelings. That doesn't mean I will sit back and allow you to insult this organization or its editorial staff at will.

I do, and did, acknowledge the fact that you are not one of the conspiracy theorists. But what you said above is just mean-spirited, unnecessary, and rude, and it hurt my feelings.

Please accept my apology. Now it's your turn.

Jana

My error was in assuming you were a part of CC. That appears not to be the case. My little "dig", as it were, was directed to your proclamation that CC was the premier travel site, or some such thing. CC fills a niche, but that is all, IMHO. Despite your protestations that you do not speak for CC (that should have been my clue) you clearly gave the impression that you were a part of CC. You work for a TV station in Raleigh/Durham as a travel editor for whatever they do on travel.

The only reason I ask for the thread to close is because you have tried to turn it away from the Norway into what a good thing CC is.

Check the posts, who got snippy first....I think you will find it in your posts to the other Mark.

I'm letting it rest. Suggest you do the same.

Mark T

All older ships in the NCL fleet were adapted for Freestyle with the addition of a Le Bristo restaurant, including the Norway. They don't quite fit NCL's strategic plans. .

Not exactly the Seaward when introduced was the first ship with a Bistro. All the other ships had a Bistro long before Freestyle. The Norway had a grand Bistro that worked well.

05_lebistro.jpg

Not exactly the Seaward when introduced was the first ship with a Bistro. All the other ships had a Bistro long before Freestyle. The Norway had a grand Bistro that worked well.

05_lebistro.jpg

You're more than likely right. Never-the-less, one speciality restaurant aboard these ships don't give passengers as many options as the newer ships have.

Did the Norway have a Ginza Restaurant, with both sushi and teppanyaki?

Did the Norway have a Cagney's Restaurant, serving steaks everynight?

Did the Norway have a Tapas Bar & Restaurant, serving Tex-Mex?

Did the Norway have an Il Adagio Restaurant, or La Trattoria, serving Italian?

What I could find, the Norway had just three restaurants, the Windward Dining Room, the Leeward Dining Room, and Le Bistro. It had two cafes, the Great Outdoors and the Sport's Illustrated. Five choices don't compare to ten on NCL's newer ships.

You're more than likely right. Never-the-less, one speciality restaurant aboard these ships don't give passengers as many options as the newer ships have.

Did the Norway have a Ginza Restaurant, with both sushi and teppanyaki?

Did the Norway have a Cagney's Restaurant, serving steaks everynight?

Did the Norway have a Tapas Bar & Restaurant, serving Tex-Mex?

Did the Norway have an Il Adagio Restaurant, or La Trattoria, serving Italian?

What I could find, the Norway had just three restaurants, the Windward Dining Room, the Leeward Dining Room, and Le Bistro. It had two cafes, the Great Outdoors and the Sport's Illustrated. Five choices don't compare to ten on NCL's newer ships.

I did not say they had Freestyle just that NCL was one of the first to offer an option for an extra charge of the mass market lines long before Star and Freestyle.

By the way before the SKY/Sun none of the NCL ships had any of the options above

I did not say they had Freestyle just that NCL was one of the first to offer an option for an extra charge of the mass market lines long before Star and Freestyle.

By the way before the SKY/Sun none of the NCL ships had any of the options above

Just goes to show how much NCL has innovated over the years.

My error was in assuming you were a part of CC. That appears not to be the case. My little "dig", as it were, was directed to your proclamation that CC was the premier travel site, or some such thing. CC fills a niche, but that is all, IMHO. Despite your protestations that you do not speak for CC (that should have been my clue) you clearly gave the impression that you were a part of CC. You work for a TV station in Raleigh/Durham as a travel editor for whatever they do on travel.

The only reason I ask for the thread to close is because you have tried to turn it away from the Norway into what a good thing CC is.

Check the posts, who got snippy first....I think you will find it in your posts to the other Mark.

I'm letting it rest. Suggest you do the same.

Mark T

You're wrong on almost everything, but I accept your apology.

Jana

Electricron,

Thank you so much for your unbiased chronology and information.

I have a question, though, about the ship after the accident. If she had been purchased to be turned into a hotel, would the asbestos and other dangerous substances have been an issue? Is that why she wasn't a viable candidate for that purpose?

Thanks!

Jana

Electricron,

Thank you so much for your unbiased chronology and information.

I have a question, though, about the ship after the accident. If she had been purchased to be turned into a hotel, would the asbestos and other dangerous substances have been an issue? Is that why she wasn't a viable candidate for that purpose?

Thanks!

Jana

Yes the explosion exposed the asbestos and made it airborne. So that at least some of it would have to be removed. Almost anyplace it would become a hotel would require the removal of both asbestos and lead paint-another hazard. NCL let it be known for over a year that it was for sale for the purpsoe of a hotel. No legitimate bid came forward.

You also should know that the history of the Queen Mary as a hotel has not been good with at least one bankruptcy. There have been other ship hotels and as far as I know they have all eventually failed. The cost of using the Carnival ships as hotels for Hurricaine Katherine has been widely critized and these were viable sea going ships.

Yes the explosion exposed the asbestos and made it airborne. So that at least some of it would have to be removed. Almost anyplace it would become a hotel would require the removal of both asbestos and lead paint-another hazard. NCL let it be known for over a year that it was for sale for the purpsoe of a hotel. No legitimate bid came forward.

Thanks! That's what I thought; I knew she would probably never sail again, but couldn't figure out why she wasn't snapped up as a hotel when that proposal was put forth.

Jana

I just wanted to say that reading this thread encouraged me to go over to maritime matters and read about "ship-breaking" in Alang, a process and a place I had never heard of. Now I am completely hooked and am well on the way to being an "old liner junkie".

I know exactly what you mean. It gets worse if you get Peter's DVD, "On the Road to Alang." Compelling stuff! I'm hooked now too!

Jana

Archived