Postcards/Mail?

Celeste548

I sent postcards from the Fantasy at both Nassau and Free port over two weeks ago (7/28 & 7/29) and they never arrived. The Purser said they would go out that day, but somehow they never showed up to the people I sent them to. Is this a common thing? I've never had it happen before, and was wondering if anyone else has had the same experience :confused:

no experience with those Ports, but I mailed some Postcards from Mexico on our HM cruise (around the same time you mailed yours) and just got the first one today. the Pursar told me that the Mexican Postal System is highly unpredictable and I could get them quickly or 3 months later!

dont give up hope!

Well, I was on the July 10th sailing of the Paradise, on the four day, and I put the postcards in the mailbox on the ship, they told me they would just send it out when we arrived back in Long Beach on the 14th, which was fine with me. Well.....it is now a MONTH later and NOBODY has received their postcards! :mad: :mad: Should I complain? And if so, who to? I'm just really disappointed because, I did know that we would probably be home before the postcards got to the people, but I figured the MOST it would take would be a couple of weeks, and that was being generous....so now I'm wondering if they got lost. :( Not sure I will be doing that again, I'll just mail them when I get home.

Wondering if others had similar experience? Is this a common occurance?

Thanks

Well, I was on the July 10th sailing of the Paradise, on the four day, and I put the postcards in the mailbox on the ship, they told me they would just send it out when we arrived back in Long Beach on the 14th, which was fine with me. Well.....it is now a MONTH later and NOBODY has received their postcards! :mad: :mad: Should I complain? And if so, who to? I'm just really disappointed because, I did know that we would probably be home before the postcards got to the people, but I figured the MOST it would take would be a couple of weeks, and that was being generous....so now I'm wondering if they got lost. :( Not sure I will be doing that again, I'll just mail them when I get home.

Wondering if others had similar experience? Is this a common occurance?

Thanks

No personal experience (at least from Mexico), but have read on the boards that mail is hit or miss. Seems at times, when 'mailed' from the ship they may wait till a bag is full, and then someone has to take it to the Post Office. Not top priority.

If I were to mail, I would probably mail from the country instead of the ship. At least then I would expect slow service. Plus the mark of the country on the card.

You are not going to receive mail from other countries in the timely manner we receive it here. although it can happen.

I've mailed/received mail from Australia, Poland and England in the recent past. It is all slow.

Still waiting for my postcard from Ireland - sent over five years ago.

My goodness, Rambling, no need to be so angry.:D Most everybody realizes that post cards take a long time and/or sometimes never arrive. No, it would do no good to complain...to anybody. My mother usually gets a card from me anywhere from 3 weeks to 2 months after it was mailed. We just get a laugh out of it now. What good does anger do for you?

We mailed postcards on the ship in Grand Cayman and the recipients got their postcards 5-6 weeks later...

Yep thats about right-- THis past cruise i mailed some to myself jsut to remind me its been a while since I been on a cruise.

2 weeks?? theyw ill arrive it just takes time.

Curious though since I never mailed stuff off the ship-- went directly to post offices wherever i sent them... where is the post mark from?

I sent postcards from the Fantasy at both Nassau and Free port over two weeks ago (7/28 & 7/29) and they never arrived. The Purser said they would go out that day, but somehow they never showed up to the people I sent them to. Is this a common thing? I've never had it happen before, and was wondering if anyone else has had the same experience :confused:

When I mailed postcards from Nassau they took 4-6 weeks to arrive. St Maarten was worse! I think they had to go to Holland first, by slow boat.:)

Thanks for sharing all of your experiences! Since I've never sent mail from the islands I wasn't sure if it was just me :) But that's really good to know that it generally takes forever. I'll keep my eyes out and maybe they'll arrive at their destinations by Christmas :P

Don't remember how long it took, but I mailed postcards to my niece & 3 nephews from my last cruise. 3 arrived on the same day - 1 a week later! :confused: For some reason, I actually remembered which postcard I had sent each kid & had also bought extras for myself as souvenirs. I told my nephew which card I had sent him & he could have my extra (plus another) if his didn't come in. He was very impressed when it got there a day or so later, that I really DID remember which card I had sent each kid!

Sha

And here I was hoping that if I mailed from Mexico as soon as we got off the boat on Monday that people just MIGHT get them before I got home the following Monday. How naive a newbie I am.....

But don't postcards lose the effect if you have already been home for weeks and told everyone about your vacation anyway?

And here I was hoping that if I mailed from Mexico as soon as we got off the boat on Monday that people just MIGHT get them before I got home the following Monday. How naive a newbie I am.....

But don't postcards lose the effect if you have already been home for weeks and told everyone about your vacation anyway?

The USPS must have know I was talking about them. At least one of the postards arrived today (only 2.5 weeks, not bad)...but for some reason the recipient didn't seem at all excited. Might have had something to do with the fact that I'd already told them about the trip a week ago :P

When you think about it, the postcard rate is one of the "lowest" classes of mail. Look at what you pay for a stamp. It makes sense to me, that the postal system would move 1st class mail, etc. quicker than they would post cards. Maybe someone who actually works for the USPS could verify this...

As for me, I never send postcards because I never remember to! Luckily, no one takes it personal :D

When they thank you for the card it gives you another opportunity to tell them all about the cruise.:D

I've been thinking of sending myself a card from each port. This way I should have pleasant reminders of the trip for months afterwards.

Archived