Stingray - no sunscreen - HELP!!!!

carmel

I am very interested in a Stingray encounter in Nassau. However, the excursion says no sunblock. With my skin, I would simply spontaneously combust and drift ashore as a pile of grey ash.

Is there ANY sunscreen that can be worn for this? Something that is natural and not harmful? I want to do this and don't want to hurt the stingrays but I seriously couldn't be out there without sunscreen (I'm of Irish descent!).

Thanks!

YES - it is the Pearl Island one. I have young girls and it seemed 'easier' than the Blackbeard's one.

Have you been? If so, how do you get from the boat to the beach? does the boat get you on shore or do you have to swim to the shore?

Thanks SO much for any info!

There are environmentally friendly sunscreens out there. I'm not that familiar with them, but I believe one is called Bullfrog. Try a google search of Bullfrog sunscreen and see what you get.

Also, you might be able to get some info on the Nassau port of call board, or the scuba & snorkel board. Good luck! :)

YES - it is the Pearl Island one. I have young girls and it seemed 'easier' than the Blackbeard's one.

Have you been? If so, how do you get from the boat to the beach? does the boat get you on shore or do you have to swim to the shore?

Thanks SO much for any info!

This was one of my favorite excursions. You get on a small boat along with people who are going to snorkel off the other side of the island. It's about a 20-30 minute boat ride to the island. You dock and walk across a pier. Then at least in our group there were only 15 people participating in the stingray part...they take you to one side of the island (small island) and you get in the water with them for about 20 minutes. I will say that it was earlier in the morning so the sun was not strong and once you get out of the water with the stingray's you go to another part of the island to relax on the beach...then you can use regular sunscreen. But for the little amount of time you actually spend with the stingrays you might...and I stress might not burn..at least I didn't and I'm fair. But you can use the environmentally friendly sunscreens like momofzeke mentioned above. Any other questions about the excursion let me know

Panama Jack has an enviromental friendly sunscreen that Discovery Cove at Sea World uses when you swim with the dolphins... (they gave you small packs of it to use, which your excursion might do as well) it is great too works great doesn't leave you all greasy.. I went to their Panama Jack's) website and bought some I use it all the time now regardless if I am playing with the critters or not...

Hope that helps!

Micky

Yes, I have one other question.

I would be going on this with my two girls. One will be 9 - no problem. The other will be 5 but she is very, very short (She just turned 4 and is 37" tall). Are there places shallow enough for her to stand? She would be about 3'3" tall by then. Do you think either hubby or I could safely hold her on our hips if she couldn't comfortably touch?

Thanks so much for the info!

I am very interested in a Stingray encounter in Nassau. However, the excursion says no sunblock. With my skin, I would simply spontaneously combust and drift ashore as a pile of grey ash.

You could just wear t-shirts over your bathing suits! We used to do this ALL the time as kids and friends of ours did it on our cruise in April for a stingray swim.

Yes, I have one other question.

I would be going on this with my two girls. One will be 9 - no problem. The other will be 5 but she is very, very short (She just turned 4 and is 37" tall). Are there places shallow enough for her to stand? She would be about 3'3" tall by then. Do you think either hubby or I could safely hold her on our hips if she couldn't comfortably touch?

Thanks so much for the info!

The stingrays are right as you enter the water on the beach. You can go from just your knees all the way up to your shoulders...you get food so they will come to wherever you are. I don't see having a small child being too difficult either for her to stay in the shallow part or if you hold her. The stingrays can be kinda scary at first though...some are really big! The guide we had was great...she was really good with the children...especially after she's done with the excursion group. She will hang around and show you the starfish or whatever else is in the water at the time.

Bullfrog Sunscreen is biodegradable (www.BullfrogSunscreen.com) and one of the best sunscreens on the market today.

Walmart and Kroger in my hometown both carry it as well as all the surf shops but I'd check online to see where you can find this product.

Little trivia, the difference between biodegradable and non is that the former is alcohol based and the latter is petroleum based.

You guys are all great. I got info on the excursion AND the sunscreen. This is wonderful. I'm waiting on a final quote from my TA and then I can book.

I'm SCARED to book. If you remember one of my last posts it talked about how I should be using this money for something else. I can't help it. I have an image if watching my girls play on the beach and holding my husband's hand as the sun sets over turqoise waters. In the end, I think those are the memories you want in your head.

Archived