Is San Juan PR dangerous?

arcticcruiser

So we are stopping in SJ, PR on our cruise....my inlaws went on a cruise recently and they keep stressing how dangerous it is there and how we need to watch out....we are doing the bacardi distillery tour....I speak spanish (i am hispanic) and my DH is white and in the military.......IS IT REALLY THAT BAD??? I think my inlaws are just paranoid....help!

I was in San Juan this March for a day pre and post cruise. 2 single females in their late 20s, wandering the streets of OSJ at night - and we never felt in anyway unsafe. Keep your wits about you like in any city and you'll be fine.

As wrp96 said, use your "city smarts" and you'll be fine! We LOVE OSJ, especially in the evening (check out the Parrot Club or Dragonfly for great food and drink, and some very cool latin jazz at the Parrot Club). We've found the overwhelming majority of locals we've met in OSJ to be friendly and helpful and if you can speak Spanish, so much the better. Have fun, don't stress, and enjoy a very cool place!

Gene

I know it is a long thread but you need to read " First time in San Juan - any suggestions" There is ALOT of discussion on this topic.

We stayed 2 nights precruise last Nov. and walked all over Old San Juan (about 15 sq blocks) both day and night. NEVER EVER FELT UNSAFE.

We found the people to be very friendly and proud of their city.

That said, it is like any other place - be aware of your surroundings and use common sense.

There were quite a few policia on the streets on Friday night when we walked from one salsa club to another.

WE LOVED OLD SAN JUAN AND CAN'T WAIT TO GET BACK.

Its like another country and they all speak Spanish!

Only joking do you really think the cruise lines would go to such a dagerous place. I suspect the city you live in has more crime and is less safe than San Juan.

Tell your inlaws to keep opions to them selves and you do have a good man to take care of you!

So we are stopping in SJ, PR on our cruise....my inlaws went on a cruise recently and they keep stressing how dangerous it is there and how we need to watch out....we are doing the bacardi distillery tour....I speak spanish (i am hispanic) and my DH is white and in the military.......IS IT REALLY THAT BAD??? I think my inlaws are just paranoid....help!

We have been there a couple of times on cruises and have taken a tour one time and then explored on our own the second time, which we enjoyed more.

I don't think it is any more dangerous than anyplace else but as with any big city you need to keep your eyes open and steer clear of problems.

Have a great next cruise.

Just curious: can your in-laws give examples of why they said this to you?

As "nosmothj" states, would the cruiselines be docking there if it were so bad?

Don't you think there would be tons of advice on this boards about it? Out of the thousands of posts, only a handful (if at all) mention bad experiences regarding safety in San Juan.

So we are stopping in SJ, PR on our cruise....my inlaws went on a cruise recently and they keep stressing how dangerous it is there and how we need to watch out...........IS IT REALLY THAT BAD???

I think my inlaws are just paranoid....help!

ME TOO!

Thanks for all of the advice...my father in law is a retired cop from Cleveland and thinks all people of color are bad.....even me at first! I am looking forward to our cruise in 15 days and will let you know how it turned out....inlaws are stuffy people...should have known better than to listed to crabby old pessimists. We've decided to cancel the Bacardi tour in favor of just going to OSJ and exploring by foot. THanks!!!!

Thanks for all of the advice...my father in law is a retired cop from Cleveland and thinks all people of color are bad.....even me at first!

Wow, than I suggest he never even leave his house non-the-less go on a cruise that stops at all these different places?? :eek:

How does he survive on a daily basis? Wear goggles?

And does this "people of color" include tanned people too? :rolleyes:

Your FIL definately has lived a very sheltered life and I feel sorry for him. I reall do. And I hope this did not influence your husband's views on others? :confused:

GOOD FOR YOU !!!! You will love Old San Juan.....

Tip: Go to your bookstore and buy Frommers Caribbean Ports of Call. It has info on all the ports of the caribbean and a great section on San Juan. It also has a great walking tour you can do on your own. where to start, walk 2 blocks turn right etc.etc..... Best $14.95 I spent towards my trip (and I have used it again for my upcoming cruise !!) El Morro is a great fort (and I am not really a fort kinda girl) and I loved the promenade all along the old wall along the harbor area..... just a nice place !

Cruizinrican....thanks. I am looking forward to the Legend as I will be sailing with my daughter (leaving dh at home :) ) and it will be her first cruise.

Sailed the Rhapsody (first cruise) which is a sister ship and loved it. Serenade was really nice too tho......

Have to tell ya' - hopefully not too many people misread my signature :eek: as I am not a curser ..... but a cruzer

Just curious: can your in-laws give examples of why they said this to you?

As "nosmothj" states, would the cruiselines be docking there if it were so bad?

yes they would go to a port if it was not safe! Belize is very dangerous and they still go there. There is a warning on Loneyplanet.com

I am glad to hear SJ PR is fairly safe, because I am going there as well

Last year we were in Belize. Walked all over Belize City by ourselves. Got totally away from the port and had a wonderful time. The locals took good care of us. We expect San Juan to be just as much fun. And plan to get out and start walking. Hope you have a great time too. And I am one of those old retired guys too. Takes all kinds

John

Archived