NCL Star "review?"

Gadget

You're making me sorry I cancelled my booking (inside stateroom) to Alaska on the Star for this summer, and booked a cruise on the Sun for this December (balcony).

Course the weather had something to do with that. It'll be snowy and cold in Eburg in December.

Glad you had a great cruise.

-Monte

Gadget, I loved your review - you are so right. It's what you make it. :D I'm a newbie, and I'm wondering about embarkation: how much of our luggage can we haul to our cabin by ourselves? Do we have to check the larger bags and then wait for them to be delivered to our cabin later on in the day? Thanks for any advice.

Your review started out so strong. Just the kind of review some were waiting for. :rolleyes: Then it turn to that same old story of a great cruise on a wonderful ship. Thank you for taking the time to post a review - most don't

Gadget, I loved your review - you are so right. It's what you make it. :D I'm a newbie, and I'm wondering about embarkation: how much of our luggage can we haul to our cabin by ourselves? Do we have to check the larger bags and then wait for them to be delivered to our cabin later on in the day? Thanks for any advice.

I wouldn't take anything larger than would fit through one of those xray machines, also you might want to take into consideration how much you will have to carry up stairs, gangways, etc. I hope this helps.

I very much agree that your trip is going to be what you make of it. There are some people that will find something to complain about no matter what. But if I give a thoughtful and truthful opinion about a cruise, that does not make me a selfish all- about- me boor if there is something I happen to think is not good (2-3 hour wait to embark, for example). I have been on four cruises and have always enjoyed myself. Were they perfect? Of course not! The people expecting ANY trip to be perfect are setting themselves up to be disappointed.

I enjoy reading the reviews that have dispassionate pros & cons of the voyage. This way, I can decide what's important for me. It helps my decision as to what to do, which ship to choose, etc. It also gives one realistic expectations of what to expect. Thanks to all that post reviews here. It is a tremendous resource.

• 8 months later...

G'day, Gadget.

Thanks for the great review. My wife and I are planning to cruise on Star in May and we were getting pretty annoyed with all the negative reviews. You put them in perspective. For our part, we are very much looking forward to our cruise - our fourth, but first in Alaska. Hope to post a review ourselves in due course.

Cheers.

The Star is a great ship with a fantastic crew and cruise director. You will have a wonderful time so long as the weather co-operates. We just finished sailing on her from LA to Mexico in February.

I live in Vancouver, and have sailed to Alaska twice through the inside passage. As long as you're not from around here, you will LOVE the scenery.

As well, the glaciers should be one of the highlights of your trip.

The ports of call are all small and quaint little towns, and the tours are pricey, but well worth the money. Take the train through the mountains where the gold rush was. I believe that was in Skagway.

Any other questions, juat ask..... and make sure you try at least 2 of the "pay" restaurants.......they're well worth the extra $10 - $20!!! :)

Cheers,

Jarett

jarettw@telus.net

G'day, Gadget.

Thanks for the great review. My wife and I are planning to cruise on Star in May and we were getting pretty annoyed with all the negative reviews. You put them in perspective. For our part, we are very much looking forward to our cruise - our fourth, but first in Alaska. Hope to post a review ourselves in due course.

Cheers.

We will also be on the 5-15 cruise with the "wehavefun" bunch. We have a roll call thread started too. Which sailing ar you on ozetraveller??

• 2 weeks later...

Wehavefun and Dosi,

We would love to be on the 15 May sailing - it's on special now at some fantastic prices! However, my leave schedule won't allow that, so we will be on the 22 May trip - still looks like really good value. Hope you guys have a terrific time - well see you as you disembark in Seattle!!

Jarett,

Hope you enjoyed your trip to Mexico and thanks for you info.

No we're not from around your way - we're from Australia, so the scenery will be a bit different for us!! We've been trawling through the reviews and photos for weeks, now, and getting more excited with every passing day. After the cruise, we're planning to tour around BC and maybe into AB as well, finishing in Vancouver before heading home. We are certainly looking forward to the trip.

This is a great site, so helpful. Well done all you previous cruisers! Hope to add our bit afterwards.

Cheers,

Oze

Gadget,

I'm rolling on the floor laughing over your review. You've got a great sense of humor and tell it like it is. WE also enjoyed our fabulous cruise on NCL's Star, even though it wasn't all about US!

Thanks for posting and bringing so much humor to this board.

Cathy

Ozetraveller,

I have been trying to start a roll call for those of us on the Star 5/22/05. Please go to that site and hopefully, we will get some travelers for that cruise to join us. I know it will be a great cruise.

Katie

Ostra:

I think Kieron's last sailing will be the May 15th Vancouver to Alaska finishing back in Seattle on May 22nd. Then he's off on holidays for a couple of months. After that, I don't think he'll be back on board until around July 24th.

Cheers,

Jarett

:( We just returned yesterday from the Star and Lance is the new cruise director. He was funny but not sure he tops Keiron from the sound of it. Will be curious to see what others think. Cruise was fantastic:D except for VERY ROUGH seas on last day home:( . I still feel like I am on that wild boat ride. Oh, a friend on the cruise got very ill one night after having the swordfish on the last night. The rest of us had the prime rib and were fine.:eek:

Archived