Inexpensive activities

Ligayskin

Rent a car, $50 or so, drive the loop or catch a taxi to the beach and hang out...the beach will be fun but overall to get a good look at the island, renting the car and stopping along the way will give you a great overview of the island and is cheap when you figure it per person as a tour!

We are going and on a very tight budget. What activites do you all recomend that are inexpensive and yet let you get a feel for the island.

Thanks

The car rental is a good idea, but if you just want downtime, you might consider a taxi to Paradise Beach. All they ask is to serve you food and drinks and you know that you have to eat anyway.:rolleyes: Tom and the crew run a nice place with good food and great service. If you have kids they charge for use of the water toys but this is an inexpensive, relaxing day.

Personally I think it's more enriching to enjoy one part of the island and not try to squeeze in the whole place in one day. The car rental places don't allow you to go on unimproved roads so you are somewhat limited even with a vehicle. Paradise Beach is pretty but it's also commercialized. The menu is more like a Chi-Chi's than an authentic local or gourmet cuisine, IMO. Kids like the water toys but they block the view for adults. It just depends on the kind of day you want to have, really.

Day passes for two adults to Chankanaab Park will run $16 with the two for one sale they are having now, but I understand the botanical gardens haven't yet reopened from Wilma. Still, you can snorkle on the reef and enjoy the lagoon on your own.

There is also a flea market behind Plaza del Sol where you can get MUCH cheaper prices on local items than near the pier or on the waterfront. It's an easy walk - just get a map of the town. Los Cinco Soles at the end of the waterfront is also a great place to shop for local crafts and has very good prices on quality silver jewelry.

The first time I went to Cozumel I was on a tight budget also and you can still have a fantastic time - enjoy yourselves! :)

First, get the Cozumel Map from http://www.cancunmap.com It will really help you know what there is to see in Cozumel and where it is. The map is definitely worth the $8 they ask you to send them after you receive the map.

Next, check out This List of things to do in Cozumel when you aren't diving. Numbers 1, 4, 8, and 11 are all good choices for the limited budget traveler.

You can not drive a loop around Cozumel yet it is still closed from Wilma. If you rent a car it is hard to park in San Miguel to see the main shopping area. You can take the road that goes to the airport and get to the other side of the island but you have to come back the same way. It does not take long to drive to the east side of the island they have a small surf on that side. There is several places to eat and drink over there. If you make reservations in advance for car rental you can get them for less than $20 a day. The only problem is you do not know which pier you will be coming into yet. I have made a reservation at two piers I think I might come into.

Unless something NEW has happened to the road around the island that I don't know about, you are able to and have been able to drive around the island for the last ... oh.... 6 months or so. Now I don't own a car, and I was out of town (Cozumel, where I live) for a week, but I'm fairly certain my information is accurate.

For low budget fun, try the museum on the waterfront, just $3 for an very well laid out history of the island and surrounding area. After you view the four large rooms, make sure you visit the Mayan house, where a lovely Mayan woman will explain how she grew up and the kinds of things they made and used everyday.

Then walk to Zermatt bakery for a yummy Mexican treat. Across the street is a hammock maker, who can be seen weaving in front of his house.

You might enjoy the Mexican (Municipal) market. It's better to do in the morning, before the stalls begin to shut down. Fruits, vegetables, fresh fish, and edibles you have never seen before make for great photo oppotunities. Buy a container of fresh fruit salad across the street at Maharajas, a small grocery store. I live on their veggie baguettes.

Your best bet to see the real Cozumel at a fraction of the cost is to walk, walk, walk. Cozumel is very safe.

Enjoy!

You can not drive a loop around Cozumel yet it is still closed from Wilma. If you rent a car it is hard to park in San Miguel to see the main shopping area.

Sorry but this is NOT true. The road around the island or the loop as some call it IS and has been open for a while, and is in as good or better shape than pre Wilma. The trip usually takes about 1 to 2 hours. If you want to stop and eat, drink, sight see or just relax just add this time to your trip. Very hassle free day unless the driver gets drunk or the passengers get too crazy just like any where else in the world.

I have never had to park more than one block from the plaza. Just drop any passengers off close then park a block down and walk what 200 - 300 yards, not to tough for most people I would think. One thing to remember is to park only where the curb has yellow paint and you will be legal.

The only time you can't make the trip is after dark when the Mexican Army closes access to the east side due to how many turtles are coming up on the beach to lay their eggs. As of last weekend there were a couple of hundred a night and the government can't protect each nest so they just limit access to the back side period.

If you want to see the turtles lay just go to the Museum and they have tours to watch the turtles lay eggs (usually after the ships leave as they almost always lay after dark).

• 6 months later...

Archived