Looking for info on the Valor

skewsus

I am a frequent cruiser but always stayed away from Carnival due to a poor experience w/them in the 80s. RCCL is my overall favorite line. I have heard from lots of people that Carnival has changed and that I should give it another chance. I am currently planning a cruise on the Valor, 10-15. I am attracted to the different itinerary/exotic Western. The review of the ship mentions that you can't maneuver the ship very well due to the placements of the dining room etc- can't get from DR to the showroom w/o going down, crossing the ship and coming back up. Is this a great problem that you've encountered? Anyone have any great things to say about this ship or the excursions? I am interested in the horseback riding and the ziplines or grappling in the rainforest. I have an awesome price for a room on the 9th or 10th floor but am concerned about the noise level after midnight. Any comments? Shld I settle for a room on the 7th floor so that I can be sure of having cabins above and below me? Thanks for your input!:)

Hi,

We stayed on the Lido Deck Cabin 9282. Very quiet location, close to pools and lido dining. True that all decks do not go through there is no problem navigating the ship. Can't give you any details on Western as we did Eastern.

I wasn’t that impressed with Carnival in the 90’s either, but they have done a dramatic turnaround. We just returned from the Valor in May and had a fantastic time. We did the Western, and we splurged on an aft balcony deck 8. Carnival’s atmosphere was just better. And the dancing at dinner was so much fun.

We did all private excursions, no horses or zip line.

RCCL was my favorite line, but not after my Valor cruise. Carnival’s customer service (IMHO) is much better. Have fun.

I was on the Valor in March-absolutely beautiful ship, and not hard at all to navigate. I believe the Promenade and Lido decks go all the way across, and it's easy to access any floors that don't. Just study the map of the ship before you go on carnival's web site, and they also give you a map when you board the ship.

We took the Western Itinerary-I didn't do zip lines, but I hear they're pretty spectacular in Roatan. That was my favorite stop. If you go there, check out Bodden Tours. They have personal drivers and guides for $25, they are yours for the day and will take you anywhere you want to go. Zip lines, snorkeling, beach, iguana farm (only $5!) Fantasy Island, or shopping. They know they whole island and speak good English, and will have you back to the ship in good time. E-mail Victor Bodden-he will be waiting for you at the dock, and doesn't request payment until after they bring you back to the ship. His spelling is a little awkward, but they definitely can speak English! Belize we only shopped, so can't help you there, and Costa Maya was canceled due to rough seas. Did a submarine dive in the Caymans-COOL!

I don't think you'll be disappointed with Valor-excellent shows, great food, and lots of activities for everyone! Definitely check out the piano bar if Ron Pass is there. We had an inside cabin on the Lido deck, and had no problem with noise. Very comfy beds! Wonderful room stewards and dining staff-what more could you ask for?

I can't believe that people still complain about the decks not going all the way fore to aft.

It is only the 3rd and 4th decks that dont go all the way through.

All the cabin decks go all the way...just choose your elevator for where you want to go.

The Promenade Deck is fun to stroll to get from one place to the next as well. :cool:

As I recall on the Destiny class ships, there is only one floor (either the 5th or 6th I think) on which you can walk from the front of the ship to the back. Once you figure this out, it is easy to get around.

I very well may have misunderstood, but the Valor is a Conquest class, not Destiny class ship. And if I recall correctly, 5th floor goes from aft elevators all the way to the showroom.

To the OP, I loved the Valor. I honestly can't think of one thing that we could have wanted for that it did not provide, which is why we're sailing Carnival again this coming spring, 4/07. It's honestly made me a bit nervous about sailing on smaller ships...I'm terrified they'll pale by comparison...BUT, I'm trying to go into our next cruise (on the Triumph, a Destiny class ship) realizing it's all new and different, and trying not to compare or contrast. I don't think you can go wrong. As for our cabin, we were on Riviera (2nd) deck...directly below the galley. I was really nervous about this location, came prepared with ear plugs. But I'm happy to report that we didn't hear a THING the entire week. Can't help you out on details on Western route either, as we also did Eastern route.

Good luck!

The review of the ship mentions that you can't maneuver the ship very well due to the placements of the dining room etc-

You picked a great ship to return back to Carnival, We didnt have any problems with navigating around the ship, We just took the cabin passage way from and to the Ivanhoe Theater etc. We were in the back of the ship so it was a long walk to the theater or back to the cabin, if your in the back, make sure you wear nice walking shoes.

Fred

I've read enough and decided to add my 2 cents in. The Destiny Class and Conquest Class are almost identical twins. The Conquest Class Ships are a stretched version of the Destiny Class Ships. I've cruised on the Destiny Class, namely Victory, Triumph and Destiny. I've also cruised on the Conquest Class, namely Glory, twice. The Valor will be my 2nd Conquest Class Ship. The education the cruise director gives you on both class ships is this: You are on vacation, so think of your work day time. 9 to 5. In cruise vacation terms, it translates into the decks. Decks 5 and 9 are the "only" decks on the Destiny & Conquest Class Ships that run straight through from stem to stern. As for the deck plan being confusing, it's really not. It's just like getting on any ship you've never been on before. It takes a couple of days to find your way around. By day 3, you should be pretty settled. Here's a tip. They give out pocket size deck plans upon embarkation. Keep it with you. You'll be just fine. As for Carnival changing. Yes they have. They've stepped it up a notch. They are no RCCL, but they are not the Carnival they use to be. Just keep in mind, Carnival is a mid-budget cruise line. They are known for their funships. They will never be RCCL or Princess, but they do normally deliver what they promise. I've had good and bad experiences with Carnival, but that can happen on any cruise line.

Sorry ParrotHead - There really is a hge differecne between Destiny and Conquest class ships. Sorry to offend you.

And I was going to make a big deal about it. Seems like you're a tad defensive about being politely corrected. :rolleyes: But now that you mention it, 8,647 tons, 59 feet, 332 pax and 100 crew seems like atleast a mentionable difference.:)

Does anyone know if there is a "secret" door on the Valor as I have read there are on other Carnival ships, doors that will take you outside to the front of the ship????

Decks 6 and 7 all the way forward on the port and starboard side. However if it is really windy, there will be signs asking you not to open the doors.

Have fun,

Laura

Archived