Horse-drawn carriage rides from cruise ship

Hello everyone,

We are going to be in victoria on 9/16 and want to take my parents on a horse-drawn carriage ride. Has anyone done this outside of the cruise ship excursions? We also have a 10 month old and HAL has charged us full fare for every excursion we've tried to book, so we've done most of our activities with an independent company.

Are there carriages available at the ship if you didnt book through the ship, or do you have to walk somewhere else? How far of a walk is it? We've got grandma grandpa and baby, would it be too much of a hike?Thanks so much for all your help.

Hi there,

I used to live in Victoria so I will help you as best I can. I don't think the horse-drawn carriages meet the cruise ships; there is just too much congestion there and horsey poopy is yukky. The horse-drawn carriages are in downtown Victoria and I would suggest a cab or ship's transfer to the downtown core. Granted, it is a short distance, but I feel it's too far to walk for grandparents - honestly, I wouldn't walk it, myself. A cab would be less than 6 bucks, I bet.

You can pick up a carriage ride once you get into the downtown core - in front of the Fairmont Empress hotel or across from the Legislature Buildings is where you will most likely find them. There are individual rides for approximately 4 people (1 horse) or the bigger trolleys (about 30 people, 2 horses).

Also, be sure to run a search on these boards for "Victoria" or "Horse drawn carriages" - I've seen threads on them here.

Have a great time! :)

~Karen

We were in Victoria two weeks ago and took a cab to the Inner Harbor. It would only be about a 30 minute walk, but DH has bad knees. A lot of different tour options are available from in front of the Empress. After walking around the harbor area we hired a Kabuki (bike) cab for a tour of Beacon Hill Park and the James Bay neighborhood, ending back at the ship. The driver was really knowledgeable and we had a great time.

I live in Victoria. It is a short walk but if you have mobility issues get a taxi and ask to go to the London Wax Museum. Across the street, beside the Legislature buildings are where all the carriages are. If the carriages are not busy ask for a discount or family rate. They bargain all the time.

After the carriage ride take the water ferry for a tour around the harbour or down the gorge.

If you like gardens go to Beacon Hill Park - 2 blocks from the Legislature very beautiful and free. Government Gardens(free and yes where the Queen stay whem she visits) and Abkhazi Gardens(small charge) are hidden jewels that are not on the tourist map but that we Victorians love.

http://www.conservancy.bc.ca/content.asp?sectionid=18&pageid=171

It seems all cruise passengers go to Buchart Gardens; It is wonderful but it is not the only or I think the best garden in the city. Everyone spends all their time and money on it and misses Victoria.

When we stopped in Victoria on our cruise in May 06 there were horse drawn carriages for hire at hte dock. However maybe they are not there all the time.

If they are not there then just take a cab to the horse drawn carriage departure point which is directly accross the street from the wax museum - a very short cab ride probably less than 5 minutes - probably about $10.

Archived