7 sea days 0n the QM2 is this a record?

worldcruiser90

I see that on her world cruise next year QM2 will have 7 sea days sailing non stop between Sydney and Hong Kong. This does seem an unusually long time and I am surprised that she does not make any stops. Does anyone know why this is ? Personally I love sea days my previous record was 5. You really start to lose track of time :)

QE2 Southampton - New York 1989

QE2 New York - Southampton 1989

Canberra World Cruise 1990

QE2 British Isles 2004

QE2 Northern Highlights 2006

Well, earlier this year QM2 passengers enjoyed a wonderful nine days at sea, Fort Lauderdale to Rio de Janiero.

Fully funcional, she's doing that run again on the WC in seven days.

On past WCs, QE2 would often have a run of seven days at sea.

I see that on her world cruise next year QM2 will have 7 sea days sailing non stop between Sydney and Hong Kong. This does seem an unusually long time and I am surprised that she does not make any stops. Does anyone know why this is ? Personally I love sea days my previous record was 5. You really start to lose track of time :)

If you look at the Queen Mary's world cruise itinerary, you will notice many lengthy stretches of sea days, including Syney-Hong, FLL-Rio, Rio-Valparaiso, etc. In order to complete the world cruise journey in a reasonable amount of time and because the Queen Mary cannot transit the Panama Canal, there had to be fewer ports along the way. The Cunard brochure curiously calls the Queen Mary's world cruise a "blue water adventure." That is an interesting spin on alot of sea days (which are fine for me) and not so many ports along the way. With Cunard scheduling Queen Victoria for a traditional world cruise in 2008, it would not be inaccurate to say that Queen Mary 2 will be deemed not suitable for world cruising.

With Cunard scheduling Queen Victoria for a traditional world cruise in 2008, it would not be inaccurate to say that Queen Mary 2 will be deemed not suitable for world cruising.

The QM2's long sea days are driven by completing the cruise in 80 days - the QE2 (despite being faster) regularly takes over 100 - and if the Queen Vicslowlia tried to do it in 80 days it might be 80 straight days at sea! In a post QE2 Cunard, I would not automatically assume that the QV will get the World Cruise......

Peter

The QM2's long sea days are driven by completing the cruise in 80 days - the QE2 (despite being faster) regularly takes over 100 - and if the Queen Vicslowlia tried to do it in 80 days it might be 80 straight days at sea! In a post QE2 Cunard, I would not automatically assume that the QV will get the World Cruise......

Peter

Peter, you said "In a post QE2 Cunard," do you mean 'post' as in 'post mortem'???? Seriously, isn't QM2 Cunard's problem child? I think her assignment as a Caribbean cruise ship based in NY for 2007 is telling. Her sailing partners out of NY will be Norwegian Dawn and Norwegian Spirit. Hideous ships! My bets are on Queen Vic after QE2 fades away...

Seriously, isn't QM2 Cunard's problem child? I think her assignment as a Caribbean cruise ship based in NY for 2007 is telling. ...

Yes, in (I'm guessing) 5 years or so, possibly sooner, Cunard will be down to the QM2 & QV - I think the 2007 80 day world cruise an interesting experiment - I do wonder how many more people they got to do the whole itinerary because it was 20+ days shorter than normal - my guess would be - not many - if you can take 80 days vacation, you can take 100 - and I also agree that the 2007-2008 Caribbean season out of NY smacks of desperation - but I would not discount a longer QM2 World Cruise in the future - remember on several of her legs the QV is taking 5 sea days vs the QE2's 4 - with shorter times in ports - so whatever Cunard think, the QV is no true replacement for the QE2.

Peter

Yes, in (I'm guessing) 5 years or so, possibly sooner, Cunard will be down to the QM2 & QV...so whatever Cunard think, the QV is no true replacement for the QE2.

Peter

Peter, I agree with your reasoned analysis. If Cunard continues to deploy QM2 as a Caribbean cruise ship out of FLL or NYC, then QV will become the heir apparent (more like heir default). Do you know/can you speculate about QE2's final resting place? Somewhere - and I do not recall where - I recall reading about the city of Southampton expressing interest in keeping her there a la Queen Mary in Long Beach. Do you see her having a life renamed a la France/Normandy? Or do you see her headed to Alang after Cunard retires her? I enjoy your thinking and would appreciate your thoughts.

Bobby

Do you see her having a life renamed a la France/Normandy? Or do you see her headed to Alang after Cunard retires her? I enjoy your thinking and would appreciate your thoughts.Bobby

Bobby,

Much as I'd love to see the old gal preserved, I don't think it will happen. Express liners are fearsome money pits when doing what they are designed to do. When they sit still, the need for money for maintenance continues, just the income dries up. Remember that Long Beach in the late 60s had boatloads of oil money they didn't know what to do with - so they thought that the QUEEN MARY would put them on the map - and she did, and despite some vandalism, we still have her with us today - thank you Long Beach. When the QE2's time comes I don't think Cunard will wish to see her continue trading - much as P&O with Canberra - loyal, repeat customers should be given the option of another Cunard ship, and no option of 'the former QE2'. So, when her time comes, she should join the great majority - MAURETANIA (I & II), AQUITANIA, CARONIA (I wonder how many passengers Cunard lost to Saga when they sold CARONIA III). QE2 is a machine built to make money - and when she stops doing that, she should be recycled.

Peter

Yes, in (I'm guessing) 5 years or so, possibly sooner, Cunard will be down to the QM2 & QV - I think the 2007 80 day world cruise an interesting experiment - I do wonder how many more people they got to do the whole itinerary because it was 20+ days shorter than normal - my guess would be - not many - if you can take 80 days vacation, you can take 100 - and I also agree that the 2007-2008 Caribbean season out of NY smacks of desperation - but I would not discount a longer QM2 World Cruise in the future - remember on several of her legs the QV is taking 5 sea days vs the QE2's 4 - with shorter times in ports - so whatever Cunard think, the QV is no true replacement for the QE2.

Peter

Hey Peter

you really don't seem to be able to get beyond QV being so much slower than QE2 - does it matter??? Before QE2, world cruises must have been a very slow old progress with only 16 knot ships in the 20's and 30's then the 22 knot Caronia in the 50's and 60's !!!! Isn't QE2 faster because she was designed for transatlantic rather than to go around the world quicker???

I think the main problem with QM2 world cruises may be that they always have to take in South America. Interestingly a lot of grades on the later segments of QM's maiden world cruise appear to be fully booked - but South America isn't. I guess not everyone wants to go around the Horn time and again!!! I guess we are all disappointed with the lack of imagination in the winter 06/07 QM2 Caribbean schedule. Maybe both Queens will do world or continental cruises after QE2 (2010???)

The fate of QE2??? Funding for a static roll would be enormous and who would want to visit her in Southampton if she wasn't sailing (be honest!). If Carnival have their way she might be handed down to another line (the name Pacific Queen is available) or if they take the 'Cunard' image seriously she will be broken up 'behind closed doors' as opposed to the very humiliating beach at Alang???

Ken

Hey Peter you really don't seem to be able to get beyond QV being so much slower than QE2 - does it matter??? Before QE2.....

Hi Ken,

Thats the point - the QV is replacing an express liner on the World Cruise - hence those extra sea days that QV has compared with when the QE2 was running the World Cruise - an average 29 hours longer on each of her two trans-pacific legs - and if an 80 day world cruise proves popular, I suspect the QV would have a rather short port list! Yes, most of the other World Cruisers are 22 - 25 knots - though its interesting that P&O put their 25 knot ships round the world - not the 22 knot ARCADIA.

Peter

• Would you actually sail around the World on QV IF you could be on QM2? It is likely QM2 is sloshing around the Carabean early in 2008 so that World Cruise passengers will sail on QV! Who knows, she may turn out to be a popular ship despite her un-Cunard-like aft section and stern. Time will tell! We are trying her NY LA.

• As far as QM2's schedule, as I said in an earlier post QV should do well in the Carabean. However, we would like to have QM2 to ourselves here on the West Coast doing South Pacific sailings - fewer port calls, more sea days (like the TAs). There is ample wealth to support her and how wonderful for passengers to avoid the flight to and from East Coast ports. Send her out to us - we will keep her fully booked! And, she did rather enjoy visiting this past Winter!!! We spent 14 WONDERFUL days on her!!!

• What do you all think about QE2 (after many more years plying the oceans) residing in New York, upper decks preserved, where one could overnight prior to boarding her successor Queens etc.? Decks 4 and 5 could be made into meeting rooms and the like...? Just a hope!

So, when her time comes, she should join the great majority - MAURETANIA (I & II), AQUITANIA, CARONIA...she should be recycled.

Peter

Peter, you are one of the most reasonable and respected voices in these boards. I think you are right in your prediction for this great liner. The tone of your comments is elegiac/ I daresay I will not want to cruise much after her departure.

Be well in Guernsey,

Bobby in NY

Archived