Crown Anytime Dining..one night only?

Kimbersw

I have always booked Anytime Dining on past princess cruises. My BF's parents chose Traditional Dining to be with their friends. If they chose to, and alerted the Maitre' D, could they have dinner with us in anytime dining one night?

I have always booked Anytime Dining on past princess cruises. My BF's parents chose Traditional Dining to be with their friends. If they chose to, and alerted the Maitre' D, could they have dinner with us in anytime dining one night?

Yes.

It's no problem at all to switch to the anytime dining for a couple of nights even. But it is polite, if you know ahead of time, to let your waiter know that you will not be there on any given night. I always make a point to tell them whether it's for specialty dining, a simple buffet, dinner in my cabin or a meal off the ship if we are in port at night.

No, it is not okay for them to use the anytime dining if they have chosen traditional. You may elect to go to one of the other dining venues at your cost, or you may choose to go the the buffet. The anytime dining rooms are for those that have chosen that option and it is not fair to us for others to come in causing us to wait for a table. We do not go and use the traditional dining rooms so why should they be allowed to come into the anytime dining rooms? It is a definite NO.

There have been a variety of reports re: this on the boards -- sometimes the maitre d' checks cruise cards and if traditional diners go to the anytime DRs, they lose their spot in traditional. Other people have said that they were able to do this without a problem. However, it really does seem rude towards the people who have chosen anytime dining for traditional diners to take up tables and lengthen the wait time (even if there is no wait when you go in, that can change quickly.) Eating together in the buffet or one of the specialty restaurants shouldn't cause a problem.

While you are not supposed to ask for this, if you are nice about it, they will do whatever they can to help you out. Perhaps the maitre'd will suggest one night being better than another, or before 6 or after 8 pm. Do understand that there are Anytime Diners who have first right to the seats you are using, and they CANNOT ask to sit in Traditional 'for just one night' to eat with their friends. It will partly depend on the mood of your Maitre' d, how full the ship is, how many folks have chosen Anytime Dining, and what time you want to eat together. Ask nicely, be willing to accomodate the times suggested to you and the answer is probably yes. Just don't demand it and if they politely turn you down don't be surprised.

Technically, you're not supposed to switch back and forth, even for one night. Perhaps you and your friends might consider going to a specialty restaurant one night. That way, you could book the time you want and have a fabulous dinner (not that you don't have great dinners in the restaurant(s).)

It's no problem at all to switch to the anytime dining for a couple of nights even.

It may be no problem for you, but if you're not using your assigned table, you're taking a space from someone who would have liked to have Traditional Dining, and you're increasing the wait time for those in the Anytime Dining Rooms.

On our July cruise aboard the Dawn to Alaska, we asked about having three of our CC friends from Traditional join us for the last night in Anytime, but we were politely refused. It may have been more because of the short, late port stop (Victoria), making Anytime tables a real premium that night, but we were told "it's policy." I don't think it hurts to ask, but be prepared to be turned down.

Cheers--

Teri

Dawn Princess Alaska, July 2006

Next: Crown Princess Southern Carrib., April 2007

Archived