Are restaurants expensive in San Juan?

DH and I wanted to spend a few days in San Juan before our cruise, and WOW, hotels are rather expensive in May! :eek: eek.gif But it's do-able if the restaurants aren't terribly expensive...so what has been your experience?

Also, we already looked into an AI in Rio Grande, but that would break us financially ($600+/night). The Copamarina in comparison wasn't bad-- but it's a good 1.5 hours away from San Juan...and we wanted to experience the city.

So for those of you who have stayed in San Juan, are the restaurants reasonably priced? Any feedback is appreciated!

DH and I wanted to spend a few days in San Juan before our cruise, and WOW, hotels are rather expensive in May! :eek: eek.gif But it's do-able if the restaurants aren't terribly expensive...so what has been your experience?

Also, we already looked into an AI in Rio Grande, but that would break us financially ($600+/night). The Copamarina in comparison wasn't bad-- but it's a good 1.5 hours away from San Juan...and we wanted to experience the city.

So for those of you who have stayed in San Juan, are the restaurants reasonably priced? Any feedback is appreciated!

In the old San Juan Area are lot of places to eat for different tastes and budget. Here are some examples of them with their average prices per dish:

Aguaviva

364 Fortaleza St.

San Juan, PR 00901

(787) 722-0665

Sea Food

Price Range: $26 to $50

Al Dente

309 Recinto Sur, Old San Juan

San Juan, PR 00901

(787) 723-7303

Fax (787) 724-7224

Italian

Al Dente is known for its authentic Italian cuisine, fresh pasta and innovative recipes. The restaurant's best-sellers -- spinach balls with rice, ricotta cheese, and pink sauce). Al Dente boasts a large wine selection and a wine bar including 15 different house wines. Located in an historical building, the decor of this charming ristorante will transport you to Palermo, native city of the chef and owner Giancarlo Amenta. Closed Sundays.

Price Range: $16 to $25

Amadeus

106 San Sebastian St. Old San Juan

San Juan, PR 00902

(787) 722-8635

International

This charming restaurant offers a nouvelle Caribbean menu. The roster of appetizers includes buffalo wings and plantain mousse with shrimp. Chicken breast stuffed with sun-dried tomatoes, cheese ravioli with a goat-cheese-and-walnut sauce, and Cajun-grilled mahimahi are a few of the delectable entrées.

Price Range: $8 to $15

Ambrosia

250 Cristo St., Old San Juan

San Juan, PR 00901

(787) 722-5206

International

This European style café is the perfect place to have drinks on the Old San Juan cobble stoned Del Cristo Street.

Price Range: under $8

Baru

150 San Sebastián ST., Old San Juan

San Juan, PR 00901

787) 977-7107

Middle Eastern

Barrachina Cafe

104 Calle La Fortaleza, Old San Juan

San Juan, PR 00901

(787) 725-7912

International

Cafe Puerto Rico

208 O'Donell St., Old San Juan

San Juan, PR 00901

(787) 724-2281

Puerto Rican

Carli Cafe Concierto

206 Tetuán St Rafael Carrión Plaza, Banco Popular Bldg., Old San Juan

San Juan, PR 00901

(787) 725-4927

Puerto Rican

Continental creations include duck rissolé, cod dumplings, breast and leg of duck, and filet of salmon with mustard-cream sauce.

Chaumiere

367 Tetuan St., Old San Juan

San Juan, PR 00901

(787) 722-3330

French

Located behind the famous Tapia Theater. Specialties include the onion soup, Oysters Rockefeller, Rack of Lamb, Scallops Provencale and Veal Oscar.

Dragonfly

364 Fortaleza St.

San Juan, PR 00901

(787) 977-3886

Chinese

Menu offering an eclectic Chinese-Latin fusion cuisine. Try the delicious Peking Duck Nachos or the Quesadilla Spring Rolls. There is full bar service available and a wine list. Open Sunday-Wednesday 6 p.m. - 11 p.m. and Thursday-Saturday 6 p.m.-midnight.

Parrot Club

363 Fortaleza Street, Old San Juan

San Juan, PR 00901

(787)725-7370

Sea Food/International

The club offers food and a wide variety of drinks along with an unique mixture of Latino hospitality and ophisticated cosmopolitan ambience.

Patio de Sam

102 San Sebastian St., Old San Juan

San Juan, PR 00901

(787) 723-1149

Puerto Rican

The menu is mostly steaks and seafood, with a few native dishes like asopao mixed in. The dessert flans melt in your mouth.

Señor Frog's

104 Paseo Portuario Local M-3, Comercio Street, Old San Juan

San Juan, PR 00907

(787) 977-4142

International

International cuisine featuring Mexican dishes. Bar, and nightly entertainment with band.

Price Range: under $8

We've stayed in San Juan before. We stayed at the Caribe Hilton -- not overly expensive. The restaurants on site were pricey -- but, we ate out. There are some great restaurants just a short cab ride (or a walk) away. There were 4 of us and the bills never shocked us -- pretty standard prices for eating out -- and the food was good! (maybe about $10 per plate - plus drinks).

Forget about Copamarina. It is a really nice hotel but it's too far from San Juan (1.5 to 2 hours away). Stay in an Hotel in Condado or Old San Juan Area. (Marriot in Condado or Sheraton in Old San Juan).

Hi all,

Cuizin to OSJ in Jan. Looking forward to it so much. It has been 20+ years since I have been there. Is OSJ still set up with the small shops all over? I remember OSJ the most out of all the areas I visited when I was a teen and looking forward to going back. I remember the streets just wide enough that cars cant get around and amazed at how clean the area was, not even a piece of gum stuck to the ground. Looking forward to seeing the fort again too.

Al Dente

309 Recinto Sur, Old San Juan

San Juan, PR 00901

(787) 723-7303

Fax (787) 724-7224

Italian

Al Dente is known for its authentic Italian cuisine, fresh pasta and innovative recipes. The restaurant's best-sellers -- spinach balls with rice, ricotta cheese, and pink sauce). Al Dente boasts a large wine selection and a wine bar including 15 different house wines. Located in an historical building, the decor of this charming ristorante will transport you to Palermo, native city of the chef and owner Giancarlo Amenta. Closed Sundays.

We ate in this one and the food was wonderful and the prices were reasonable. The husband and wife were both there and very nice. The whole place is decorated with the wifes artwork and it was stunning. I think it was about 60$ for two of us and we had a wonderful meal.

Sue

Hi all,

Cuizin to OSJ in Jan. Looking forward to it so much. It has been 20+ years since I have been there. Is OSJ still set up with the small shops all over? I remember OSJ the most out of all the areas I visited when I was a teen and looking forward to going back. I remember the streets just wide enough that cars cant get around and amazed at how clean the area was, not even a piece of gum stuck to the ground. Looking forward to seeing the fort again too.

Yes, it still has the same ambiance as it did then. (I don't know about the gum, though!:D ) We love the "old world" feel about OSJ.

I am sure you will enjoy it, and being slightly older ;) , you will appreciate it so much more!

Worth the extra money - El Convento.

Just stayed over after our cruise - what a fantastic experience. No it's not a fancy resort, but it's a cool boutique hotel smack dab in the middle of OSJ. A great Wine and Cheese reception each evening and plenty of dining nearby (as well as on-site). Barrachina Cafe was very good!

Cafe Puerto Rico

208 O'Donell St., Old San Juan

San Juan, PR 00901

(787) 724-2281

Puerto Rican

We ate here pre-cruise at the suggestion of the bellhops at our hotel, and we loved it so much that we returned post-cruise. The portions were huge, the staff very friendly, and the food was great.

We travel to San Juan 8-10 times a year. We always stay at the Intercontinental...10 minutes from the airport and on the beach or at the ElConvento in Od SanJuan. Walking distance to San Cristobal and El Morro forts. Local dining is all around old San Juan and VERY reasonable. The home of the original pina colada is not far from the outlet stores in old San Juan. You will enjoy your stay in Old San Juan. J.Lo was staying at the ElConvento while we were there. If it is good enough for J.Lo ...is is good enough for us ENJOY!!!!

Archived