Whistler pre-cruise

Anyone done this? I am interested in this for next summer and am looking at this pre-cruise tour thru RCCL.

Also, looking for recommendations for restaurants in Whistler, not expensive but great food and good atmosphere. Maybe even a micro-brew pub.

Thanks!

I can't help you with info about the RCI tour in Whistler. However, we'll be in Vancouver 3 nights pre-cruise next June, and I'm considering a day trip to Whistler on one of the days. We spent 5 days in Vancouver several summers ago, so I don't feel the need to spend our entire time in Vancouver.

I too am not familiar with the RCCL tour (ie. how long, where it goes, etc). However, there is a very nice brew pub right in the Village called the Whistler Brew House (very popular, very busy, very GOOD food and brew). Here's their link with menus: http://www.drinkfreshbeer.com/whistler.html

Another Vancouver tradition that has transplanted itself in Whistler is the Olde Spahgetti Factory. Not a traditional Whistler venue, but fun and inexpensive. Citta is a good place to eat right in the old village square (good for people watching). If you want a nice steak, the Keg is good (traditional Vancouver restaurant as well) and not too pricy. If price is not an option, check out the restaurant in the Chateau Whistler (can't remember the name), or Monk's up on Blackcomb, or even Umberto's for Italian cuisine.

Trust me, there are more than enough restaurants in Whistler to satisfy any palet. Enjoy!

I imagine that the tour will encompass the whole day, so enjoy you'll never see anything like it (unless you come back for the 2010 Olympics!).

Thanks for the replies and the restaurant suggestions! It's nice to know about all the good options! I'll print this out to keep in my 2007 cruise folder. Our stay is not quite two full days in Whistler, so we should be able to hit at least few of those restaurants. :D

For this tour, we arrive in Vancouver on day one and overnight there. Then on the 2nd morning, we board the Whistler Mountaineer and arrive in Whistler around lunch time. We stay in Whistler that night and the next, then head back to Vancouver to catch the cruise ship the fourth morning.

Thanks again!

• 4 weeks later...

We did not do this as part of a cruise, but as part of a trip with the Rocky Mountaineer. We had a great time. I have posted a small collection of photos on our photosite.

http://www.eganrk.smugmug.com/gallery/1949936

We took the bus up, did a short float plane tour of the glaciers and mountains and returned on the Whistler Mountaineer. We did not eat up there, so I can't help with the recommendations on that end. In Vancouver, however we had a great dinner at the Steamworks Brewing Company, 2 blocks east of the Port. Yes, they did have beer.

Yes that sounds wonderful.

You could do the same tour on your own for probably a lot less than the ship is charging you but a lot more work.

The train runs to Whistler daily and you can do it 1 way and the opposite way by bus if you want. The train is the nicest option but also the most expensive.

We always drive up it is only 1.5 hours from Vancouver and a beautiful drive with lots of photo opts. We often stop in Squamish for a meal as that is the half way point. You can also stop in Britianna Beach and visit the BC Mining Museum where you actually go underground into an old copper mine to learn about the various mining techniques. A very interesting stop.

By driving you can also stop to visit Brandy Wine Falls and Shanno Falls both very beautiful.

From Squamish you can take a helicopter or plane tour of the glaciers.

Enjoy

Archived