217 members have voted

1. 1. Where is your spending limit?

• $100-$200pp/day
    • $200-$250pp/day
    • $250-$300pp/day
    • >$300pp/day
    • If my limit was exceeded, I would book a less expensive Cabin
    • If my limit was exceeded, I would look for a different cruise or option

I didn't vote because we don't have a per diem as such. We find the itinerary we want and check out which RCI or Celebrity ships go there and choose the best price for an Ocean View cabin. It's a compromise for us. Interior cabins are cheaper, but we really like being able to look out and see the ocean. However, we can't quite bring ourselves to spring for a balcony let alone a suite. It seems like a waste of money that could be spent on excursions. and other things. I know, I know--people who've tried a balcony will never go back. But we aren't in the room enough to justify it to ourselves. Heaven help us if we ever get upgraded to a balcony and don't have to pay extra for it. But that probably won't ever happen, so I'm not worried. ;) I also know there are cheaper cruise lines, but these are the ones we will stick to and feel they are the best of the "mass market" lines.

I changed my desire to sail Brilliance to the Panama Canal when I discovered Galaxy's price was $700 less and it was a longer cruise.

Before booking our next cruise I priced RCI and Celebrity for the Mex. Riv. and found that Mercury's 11-night (6 stops, all in Mex.) was less per day than RCI's 7-night or Infinity's 11-night which has two of the six stops in the US. We loved Galaxy and Mercury is a sister ship, so we feel good about the cruise. Plus, my TA told me the base price listed in the brochure included the port charges and most of the taxes, not just the cruise, so I feel like I'm $200 ahead already. :D

Our 11-night on Galaxy spoiled us for longer cruises. We are tentatively planning an 11-night on Galaxy to the Med. summer '08 and a 14-night Mercury to Aus/NZ winter of '09 with possibly a Celeb. or RCI 14-night to S. Amer. in '10.

I don't think it's possible to have a usual, set-in-stone per diem in mind. Trust me, you can't do Aus/NZ, Europe or even Alaska on a Caribbean per diem.

1/02 Explorer E. Carib.

1/08 Explorer W. Carib.

8/03 Summit Alaska cruise/tour

2/04 Adventure S. Carib.

2/05 Galaxy Panama Canal

6/06 Jewel Brit. isles/Nor Fjords + 3 days in London

1/07 Mercury Mexican Riviera

I don't think my family thinks about a daily per diem, per se. We think about the destination/itinerary first and foremost. Often times, cruising is the best way to get to multiple destinations. I have to say, cruising is a splurge vacation for my family, and when we do book a cruise, we book a balcony enough for the family.

But all in all, we look at the whole package. For the Baltics this summer, we paid the most we've ever paid for a vacation, and our cruise per diem was definitely above $200/pp/day (on board expenses/excursions not withstanding). Our main concern was that we get the cabin we wanted, and we did.

For next year's cruise, we also looked at the whole package and booked accordingly. We'll be comfortably within $140/pp/day. Still a splurge for us, but why not? We're not taking out savings to cruise.

• 4 weeks later...

I would also be willing to pay a premium for a round trip cruise out of the New York area, providing that it is on a ship that we like. Unfortunately, Celebrity has so few of these, with the exception of the Zenith that we won't sail, that I am looking into other cruise lines who realize that there are many other people in the New York area who feel this way.

I always like a bargain. So far, the closest we've come to CC accommodations was a minisuite on an RCL cruise. Lately, we've been taking inside cabins and obstructed view cabins--but primarily because our last couple of cruises have been over Christmas.

We wait until late to book, hoping prices will drop after final payment. They usually do. I just booked our Christmas cruise this week, five days after its final payment date. The price dropped $200 pp. It's still going to be more per person per day than when we had a balcony cabin on another Princess ship that sailed in early December instead of Christmas. If our schedules would allow it, we'd always sail when it was cheaper. But my partner's work schedule is less flexible now than it was then. We go when we can.

To date, we've managed to stay in the $100-$200 pppd range--which is a pretty big range. Generally, we fall about half way into it--after all expenses are added up: airfare, hotels, cabs, cruise, tips, excursions, incidentals.

For me, the travel planner in the family, cruising is an inexpensive way to visit a warm destination during the winter high season. Our past winter cruises, all on Celebrity, have been , in my estimation, great deals. For the most part we chose inside cabins, although we did have a few windows. For example, our pending cruise, Galaxy, 11 nights in Feb. will cost $1940 for the 2 of us. Added to that one week at the San Juan Marriott (Priceline, $95). This way, even with my "creative airfare", expenses in SJ, tips, etc, we will have a 2 1/2 week vacation at a very affordable price. I love when I can pull something like this off!

We did only one expensive cruise, the Constellation to the British Isles and the Fjords...but that was on my wish list. Currently, there are no cruises on my wish list!! But I have a long list of land trips waiting to happen! Land trips to places that interest us are another matter. Still, I try to organize at the best possible prices. We are very particular about going at the "right time" when the weather is to our liking...although as much as I research and plan, the weather gods are not always co-operative! We mix top hotels with some that are not so top, but have enjoyed most of our choices. We don't usually eat in the most expensive restaurants because that isn't "our thing", but we have had some wonderful meals. (Sometimes the most expensive restaurant turns out to be a huge disappointment).

I think I am rambling...actually I am doing some armchair travelling...methinks I need a "travel fix"!!!

This is a very interesting thread.

We cruise every winter and have tried to become cruise-savvy shoppers.

We look at itineraries first. Then check Celebrity and Princess at about a dozen sites...sometimes for several months seeking best prices. It gets murky from there, because we weigh prices, itinerary, quality of ship and make a decision. Also, some large travel sites offer discounts on particular lines. In the end, we'll cruise inside or outside depending on prices/availability. We have once cruised with a window and thought it was a waste for our purposes.

Note to Kathie44: Don't be too quick to write off a balcony. If you do lots of comparison shopping...you may pay only about $10 more per day for a balcony than an inside, particularly when a cruise broker is offering a rebate to those who book an ocean view or higher class. There's no right answer, but we never do excursions. We book them ourselves through local providers (with the help and guidance of you good folks at cruisecritic). With the money we save, we often get a balcony. You'll be surprised how much you use it...although nothing beats a midnight stroll under the stars.

fyi: We paid $123 pp/pd for a CC cabin on an 11-night upcoming February cruise on Constellation.

We look at cost when planning all of our vacations, wether they're on land or sea. With 3 kids, we don't have an excess of disposable income.

DH put together a spreadsheet (engineer type) to collect cost of airfare, surface transportation as well as the cruise itself. He even has a space to estimate tips, auto rental, hotels & whatnot.

We put togehter a comparison of 4 different cruises for this fall and wound up picking the Celibrity cruise. Not only was it the best buy, the port stops are for places we've never been to before. We're at ~$103pp/d for everything but the tips. To further reduce the cost, we purchased 100 shares of RCL stock to get the shareholder credit. (I know - stupid idea right? But the share price is up over 15% in a month. We got lucky & timing is everything!)

Besides, we've sailed Celebrity previously and found it to be a great experience.

Bottom line: Are we cheap? Yes, Absolutely. However, I am hopeful that by finding great deals we can cruise more frequently! Hooray!!

When you decide how much you are willing to pay for a cabin, do you consider its cost in relationship to other cabins on the same ship or what you have paid for cabins on other Celebrity ships? For example, the first time we booked a sky suite on the Century, it cost almost three times as much as their standard ocean view cabin, which is a significant difference. However, since it wasn't that much more than what we have paid for concierge class cabins on M class ships, we decided to go for it :)

Just an outside cabin or simple balcony is fine for us. We think of the ship as a slow comfortable airliner taking us to places we want to visit. I doubt we'd ever book anything more than a balcony cabin. An inside is too claustrophobic.

We'd rather cruise less often and go where we want (Baltics, Mediterranean) if cost becomes an issue.

Archived