Quadalupe??

TCF

I stopped at Quadalupe decades ago (1983) on a HAL Statendam cruise. As I remember it was an interesting stop...although the locals were brutally colonialized and it was the first time I laid eyes on the historic, and also brutal, French Foreign Legion. They had quite a large garison there, and seeing some of Marxist revoltionary grafiti on warehouse walls in the docks area I could understand why they were there.:eek:

In any event, now I can't find mention of the island anywhere, nor have I found it on any itineraries. Has the industry abandoned it for some reason, or am I just not looking in the right places??:confused:

Tom:)

Hi Tom...We were on Guadeloupe years ago, and found it fascinating. The history is so interesting. Have you read James Michiner's "Caribbean"? It has a lot of history in it about the island, and the Caribbean. A wonderful read.

We, too, have been looking for itineraries with Guadeloupe in them, but they are few and far between. I do see RCI has the Vision of the Seas doing the island starting next year, embarking out of Santa Domongo, Dominican Republic. Try their website--www.royalcaribbean.com

Happy Sailings,

Helen

• 2 weeks later...

I have been there twice. The most recent was last Nov on Hal's Veendam. I was on a 14 day cruise that Hal only did about 4 times last year.

There were a lot of complaints about the port. There were no cabs or vans avaialble for tours when you got off the ship. Police all over the dock. I don't think a ship had docked there for over 5 years. We just walked around in town and went to the open market and bought some spices.

It was maybe 8 years ago the first time. I remember taking a tour with a couple of other pax. We got the tour from a local after we got off the ship. It was a great tour.

Archived