Rude Waiter on Enchantment

I still feel that people were too hard on the OP. People come here to post on cruising experiences. They shouldn't be flamed if everything is not always positive.

.. it was perhaps a plea for a little understanding of the way the waiter's behaviour made this person feel. And it is her personal feelings she is giving us here don't forget. Not everybody is as assertive and confident as some people on these boards obviously are, and feeling uncomfortable can make some people shy away rather than confronting the issue at the time. I'm sure that, as the OP has already said, she will in future know how to handle this situation should it arise again. I hope it doesn't! Happy cruising.:)

Yep. And it's a lot of the SAME people too...I won't name names, but it's almost as if these people get beat up in their daily lives, then come here to vent. Again, I'm also not referring to this board only.
Or perhaps, it's just that different people have different views on the purpose of a message board and what constitutes a legitimate response. e.g. I don't recall reading in the guidelines that the purpose of this one is only to get affirmations of your opinions.

Nobody flamed the OP, they were just trying to figure out what the problem was. The title talks about a rude waiter and then goes on to explain that he asked for their seapass cards. Doesn't sound rude to the rest of us, but of course, we can't hear the tone in which he asked.

Bribrittmom, don't be so sensitive. This is a chatboard, and that's what people do, chat.

Yep, exactly. This is what people do here: chat, post, agree, disagree, tell positive, tell negative; help each other out. It seems, though, that whenever anyone has anything negative to say, they are completely written off by those who think any bad experience on a cruise ship is inaccurate and someone who is overreacting. This is cruise CRITIC, and not everything here will be positive, obviously.

Doesn't sound to me that many people were trying to figure out what the problem was other than the OP. She just wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions, and she got mostly rude comments back. I have cruised many times over the past 11 years, and never once was I asked for my SeaPass card without ordering something or getting on and off the ship. I would find it odd that they ask everyone for their card, and I probably wouldn't offer mine up unless they provided me with a good enough explanation for needing it; anyone can take it and add a charge onto it without my knowledge. It's just like a credit card, only easier to charge something to it onboard a ship.

To the OP: It is a bit odd, and I probably would have kept mine in my pocket. If someone else required him to get it for them, then that someone else can come ask me for it.:D

Yep, exactly. This is what people do here: chat, post, agree, disagree, tell positive, tell negative; help each other out. It seems, though, that whenever anyone has anything negative to say, they are completely written off by those who think any bad experience on a cruise ship is inaccurate and someone who is overreacting. This is cruise CRITIC, and not everything here will be positive, obviously.

Doesn't sound to me that many people were trying to figure out what the problem was other than the OP. She just wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions, and she got mostly rude comments back. I have cruised many times over the past 11 years, and never once was I asked for my SeaPass card without ordering something or getting on and off the ship. I would find it odd that they ask everyone for their card, and I probably wouldn't offer mine up unless they provided me with a good enough explanation for needing it; anyone can take it and add a charge onto it without my knowledge. It's just like a credit card, only easier to charge something to it onboard a ship.

To the OP: It is a bit odd, and I probably would have kept mine in my pocket. If someone else required him to get it for them, then that someone else can come ask me for it.:D

I think if you go back and read how this thread started you will see that it was the OP, herself, who was originally rude to those who posted to her thread. She started out by asked for suggestions as to why a waiter would rudely take her seapass card when he did not take other people's cards. About 4 different people very nicely suggested it was for soda card verification or perhaps bar charges. And they stated, they would not find this to be rude.

But then instead of posting again that it was not the taking of the seapass card that she found rude (although she certainly gave that impression with her original post) - she posted a 2nd time where she attacked the posters for simply responding to her post. She informed them that she didn't need "to be lectured". And no one was lecturing her, they were just giving her the suggestions she had requested.

So it was the OP who then set the new tone for the thread. And, when she found fault so quickly and lashed out when everyone did not immediately take her side, it did leave one to wonder about how level headedly she had evaluated the situation with the waiter.

Did she over react just as quickly toward the waiter? Perhaps that is why people then felt maybe he rated some defense..........:)

Just a thought.

I think if you go back and read how this thread started you will see that it was the OP, herself, who was originally rude to those who posted to her thread. She started out by asked for suggestions as to why a waiter would rudely take her seapass card when he did not take other people's cards. About 4 different people very nicely suggested it was for soda card verification or perhaps bar charges. And they stated, they would not find this to be rude.

But, why do people have to even state that "I don't think this was rude." Like some other posters said, it could have been the way he said it, rather than just saying it. It could have been facial expressions. Anything. Why do people insist in making the OP out to be a liar or a drama queen when expressing something negative?

One word comes to mind. Cheerleaders.;)

Hey, I just answered my own question!

But, why do people have to even state that "I don't think this was rude." Like some other posters said, it could have been the way he said it, rather than just saying it. It could have been facial expressions. Anything. Why do people insist in making the OP out to be a liar or a drama queen when expressing something negative?

In a few cases that might be correct. :)

But in some cases, I think it is just someone having an honest difference of opinion - or offering the possibility that the situation could have been perceived incorrectly by the OP.

Rudeness is such a subjective thing if you are talking "tone" rather than specific statements or actions. If the OP could have offered something specific that the waiter said or did that made them say the waiter was rude - perhaps this confusion might not have occurred. But the only "specific" offered by the OP was the asking for the seapass cards - not such a terrible offense by most people's standards.

But in some cases, I think it is just someone having an honest difference of opinion - or offering the possibility that the situation could have been perceived incorrectly by the OP.

Rudeness is such a subjective thing if you are talking "tone" rather than specific statements or actions. If the OP could have offered something specific that the waiter said or did that made them say the waiter was rude - perhaps this confusion might not have occurred. But the only "specific" offered by the OP was the asking for the seapass cards - not such a terrible offense by most people's standards.

When I went back and read the OP 1st post rudeness wasn't even mentioned until she said he was rude when he lectured her for not carrying her seapass. Her original question was reasons why he would even need to see all of their seapasses. Especially as mentioned later that she had ice tea. The original post said her husband and kids ordered soda not her.

IMHO I think that sometimes the posts are read so quickly that details get mixed up and the posts eventually stray from the original question.

Rudeness is such a subjective thing if you are talking "tone" rather than specific statements or actions. If the OP could have offered something specific that the waiter said or did that made them say the waiter was rude - perhaps this confusion might not have occurred. But the only "specific" offered by the OP was the asking for the seapass cards.

You're right. Rudeness is very subjective. What she thought was rude may very well not be.

It could be people having an honest difference in opinion, but I do see that a few of those who had this opinion difference have posted on other boards vehemently defending their specific cruise line or ship. No names mentioned.

It's not right to downplay other's negative experiences to defend a billion dollar cruise line. I sometimes think that people use this message board as a cyber-vacation when they are at home, because you can get lost in these boards and reading other's reviews. It really can make one daydream about being on a cruise. I think these individuals get annoyed when someone ruins this "cyber vacation" by discussing some negative issues while on or after coming back from a cruise.

When I went back and read the OP 1st post rudeness wasn't even mentioned until she said he was rude when he lectured her for not carrying her seapass. Her original question was reasons why he would even need to see all of their seapasses. Especially as mentioned later that she had ice tea. The original post said her husband and kids ordered soda not her.

IMHO I think that sometimes the posts are read so quickly that details get mixed up and the posts eventually stray from the original question.

I don't think there is any doubt that this is true. And it is another of the reasons why I question anyone ever worrying about what is said on a forum like this.

There is "speed reading", no way to see facial expression, or tone of posts. And sometimes just weird people floating around.

So take it all for what it is - an internet forum. No intelligence test required for registration or participation. :D

Perhaps, they stated it because it was their opinion.

Actually, it was the first word in the title of the post.

Actually, it was the first word mentioned in the title of the post.

That is true but within the post she didn't mention the rudeness until she got to the part where the waiter lectured her. Which IMO is not his place to do since she was not purchasing anything that required her seapass. Just because it is in the title doesn't mean it applies to everyword within the post.

It is possible she had a rude waiter. I have had a rude waiter but would never post it here. It's a given that fans of a certain cruiseline will here no negative experiences . They will blame it on how it was posted, or that they were in the wrong and in no way could the waiter be wrong. These people say take the negative post with a grain of salt, well I guess that means take all postive post with a grain of salt. To the op why would the waiter need to see your seepass card when you were not drinking soda?

That is true but within the post she didn't mention the rudeness until she got to the part where the waiter lectured her. Which IMO is not his place to do since she was not purchasing anything that required her seapass. Just because it is in the title doesn't mean it applies to everyword within the post.
The SeaPass card specifically states "Please keep this card with you throughout the cruise", so if he mentioned that she should have had it with her, he was on solid ground.

The SeaPass card specifically states "Please keep this card with you throughout the cruise", so if he mentioned that she should have had it with her, he was on solid ground.

She wasnt drinking soda so he needs to explain why he needs her seapass card. I for one will not give up my card for no reason.

She wasnt drinking soda so he needs to explain why he needs her seapass card. I for one will not give up my card for no reason.

That is the point I was trying to make. I agree you are suppose to have it with you, but what reason did he even have to ask for it. That was the question the OP was trying to find out. She stated the rudeness started when he lectured her about the seapass.

I also agree with everyone else that stated that he would of needed to give me a good reason for giving him my seapass when I wasn't doing anything that required the pass.

Perhaps had she said why do you need to see mine instead of I don't have it, there were have been a different response from the waiter.

Perhaps had she said why do you need to see mine instead of I don't have it, there were have been a different response from the waiter.

At this point we don't know exactly what was said by her or the waiter. We could play what if games all night long but it won't do anything to answer the OP's question.

Archived