Which ship do you consider to be "older", Sapphire or Diamond?

c-cruise

Thought this was an interesting question to ponder. Obviously the current Diamond Princess was christened first, but construction on the current Sapphire Princess was started first.

Construction on the current Sapphire Princess (original Diamond) was started in June 2001 where the current Diamond Princess (original Sapphire) wasn't started until March 2002 almost a yeaar later. So clearly whats left of the hull after the fire on the current Sapphire is "older" than that of the current Diamond Princess. Does this make the current Sapphire Princess "older" than the current Diamond Princess?

I guess I would consider the Sapphire to be "older" since that hull was started first. What do you think?

Hmm this is a really good question... :confused: .... I think personally I consider the diamond older, since its been in service longer. I guess from a construction perspective the Sapphire is older. But then again, do you consider the "age" of the Sapphire from the hull remaining from the fire (older than Diamond), or the top of the ship which was rebulit (newer than Diamond)? It's confusing.. which is why I went with how long they've each been in service. :D

My position is that Pax and movement are what age and wear on a ship, therefore Diamond is older in terms of the odometer. Now this is like twin 4 month old babies where one was born an hour ahead of the other so it is a distiction without a difference but a fun point.

So one wouldn't talk about ships it terms of "model year" like you would automobiles? Where a 2003 is "older" than a 2004 regardless of odomoter or which was actually completed first.

I like to think that the ship is defined by the hull and not the superstructure. If that is the case then the hull of the current Sapphire Princess is almost a year older than the hull of the current Diamond Princess.

However, time in revenue service does seem to be the most logical and easily measured factor in determining a cruise ships age.

I think you can argue both ways.

From time keel was laid, to launch.

or:

Acceptance into fleet.

I think as a gross generalization, passenger ships are "aged" from acceptance into fleet.

Michael

Archived