Advance Planning

2manyplaces

We are booked on Star Princess in December, our first cruise on a big ship. Thanks to all who have already answered questions for me, now I have a couple more about ship activities. I like to plan as much as possible in advance, and I will book all shore excursions shortly. How do I determine what other activities will be offered each day (like wine tasting, theme nights, entertainment) so I have an idea in advance. And how do I determine which nights we might want to eat in a specialty restaurant? We were on a small ship cruise and they served lobster one night--I wouldn't have wanted to missed that by eating in a specialty restaurant that night. Can I make specialty restaurant reservations in advance or do I have to wait until we board the ship? I have learned much from reading these boards but haven't found answers to this. Thanks in advance to all you cruise experts!

Each night your room steward will deliver your "Princess Patter" which will

list all the activities in order from early morning to late evening, The Patter changes each day so there is really no way to know in advance what activities are scheduled and the time. As to the dining, the restaurant as a general rule, will put the menu for the evening out at the

entrance by early afternoon. The main dining room and anytime dining rooms ususally have the same menu but the specialty dining offer a different menue. Have a great cruise - I know you will the Princess experience.

You can look at old Patters that several people have posted to get an idea. Shows and other performers will probably be changed, so you can use the old ones as guidelines only.

You can only make reservations for specialty restaurants once you are on board. In my experience, it's usually not a problem getting a reservation the same day.

I like to plan as much as possible in advance, and I will book all shore excursions shortly. How do I determine what other activities will be offered each day !

planning is good-- within reason.

Planning what you are doing on the ship each day you are setting yourself up for disappointments.

Plan your port days but sea days should be done the night before when you get your patters. Not this far in advance.

I normally plan around our shore excursions as far as where and when we eat. Seems like "lobster" night has always been on the second formal night on our last 3 Princess cruises - sometimes that's enough to get me dressed up - sometimes not.

We have been to the Steakhouse and made reservations the day we boarded the ship. But on our cruise on the Grand earlier this year there were plenty of empty seats for walk-ins.

But as others have said, you might be able to get someone to post copies of the daily Patters for you, but they'll be in the box outside your cabin door late the evening before or first thing in the morning so you can plan your day.

Have a great cruise. We'll be on the Star in October.

After we boarded the ship we went to make reservations for Sterlings. The two guys that were taking reservations were able to tell us what the theme was going to be in the main restraunts, i.e. Italian, Caribean, Seafood, Lobster, etc. Then we were able to make the choice as to which night we were going to Sterlings. Hope you have a great cruise, remember to relax.:cool:

You won't miss much on board during the day while you are in port....

Here is what I do -- take it or leave it where you found it

• Pick a ship & sailing date which you already have done
  • Decide if there are excursion I want to do & book them
  • Do a little research online to see if there is something else I should try to do while in port off of the ship.
  • Make a calendar with all of the known variables listed above including arrival and departure times...
  • Then when you get on the ship you can make your specialty dining reservations and you will have your availability at your fingertips... I usually would stay away from specialty dining on the second formal ('Captains Dinner') I always get the lobster.
  • It may seem like overplanning to make the calendar before you go but its not so you have every second scheduled.. Its so you are not digging through all of your excursion tickets and brochures while making your reservations... it tends to get a bit confusing.
  • Now that you have everything together you also have a place to note some of the other things you want to attend throughout the week.

With the exception of shore excursions, I just go with the flow each day

and see what the patter has planned for the day. Sometimes we attend

events, go to the spa or I may even (horrors!!!) actually sit on the nice

big balcony and do nothing. - Now that is my idea of a vacation.

Archived