Cunard Vs RCI

rula40

I have just booked what will be my third cruise with RCI and looking forward to joining the Splendour on 19th October in Venice. I have been reading some of the threads regarding the food on the Splendour and notice a difference of opinions My first crossing with RCI was on the Legend and found the whole experience fantastic with nothing but praise for the food, ship and crew, my next was on the Splendour and was a tad disappointed with the food, but again overall had a brilliant time our next crossing was with Cunard on the QM2, What a ship! What an experience! But also, what a disappointment! .I spent time reading the related threads on the CC and was looking forward to what I was led to believe would be an experience of a lifetime. “An experience” it was, “Of a lifetime” I hope not. The ship itself was incredible, pure luxury; the crew was a mixture hard working very pleasant staff that did their best to please but I did find a number of the senior uniformed staff a bit detached and dare I say arrogant. The food in the main (2nd class) dining hall was a disappointment, a view that was shared by a number of other passengers. The service was excellent but the choice was limited and quite often bland we often commented on how we preferred the dining experience with RCI. I note that on our forthcoming cruise in October there are only 3 or 4 formal nights during the 19 nights which is a relief, whilst I do enjoy the occasional glad rag sessions, on the QM2 we had 5 formal nights out of 7 which seemed to take away the excitement of looking forward to a special evening and became a chore. I have received almost weekly correspondence from Cunard with some amazing offers, compared to other cruise lines. Will I be booking with them again? No I think I will stick with a company that strives to appeal to the majority.

I did not make many friends on the QM2 Critic boards; I seemed to be in a minority of people who dared to voice their negative opinions to an audience of loyal Cunard lovers. When I praised RCI it was suggested that I should stick to my floating theme parks. Well I would not describe any of the RCI fleet as floating theme parks, but a cruise line that has a varied daily program to suit all tastes I really did not wish to join the RADA classes nor spend most of my days listening to Oxford University lectures although the ones I did attend I found quite interesting, but when I go on my much earned annual break I prefer to lighten up and enjoy myself, and if that means putting on my Peter Pan hat. So be it

So what is your point of knocking the QM2 on RCCL Boards? The Qm is an oceanliner, built specifically for crossings?

RCCL ships are cruiseships...totally differant experiences. I have sailed on Royal 11 times in 4 years, looking forward to my QM2 sailing in Jan.

I don't quite understand the purpose of your thread? Do you cruise for food? Isn't one of the draws for QM2 the luxury of being dressed for dinner?

Katie

Katie - Not quite sure why you've jumped all over the OP. Many people compare RCI to other lines on this board. The OP balances the negative with some positive comments.

The oceanliner v. cruiseship comparison is always interesting. Technically you are correct, but IMO the 2 experiences are much more similar than they are different.

My response is purely observance. Usually the comparisons are between CCL, RCCL Celebrity etc....

I just don't get why people have to trash the other lines because the food wasn't up to par (where do you eat dinner when not on a cruise), because the staff didn't treat you like royality...

The other cruisers were too stuffy, as compared to a bunch of drunks....

These are my thoughts, like I said I don't quite get the porpose of the mud-slinging?

That's all....

Katie….OUCH Sorry I thought this site was called Cruise Critic I was only trying to express my preference and share some of my experiences, I stand corrected and thank you for enlightening me on the difference between a cruise ship and a ocean liner. I never really thought of myself as cruising for food, but I do enjoy cruising for relaxation, entertainment meeting people and in general enjoying myself .The food is a part of my enjoyment and not the main reason I prefer cruising to any other type of holiday. I do hope you enjoy your QM2 crossing in Jan,

Phil

We agree in principle with Katiensab. Love both RCL and Cunard. Although service and food are a priority on all lines, there are also different experiences. For most people it is best to stick were you are most comfortable. We have absolutely never felt or have come across anyone who felt 2nd class in the beautiful and classy QM2 Brittana restaurant as Rula40 states.

Archived