Review: Vancouver, Island Princess Landtour, Denali & Fairbanks

irisheileen

Hi Eileen,

oops... looks like I am into reading old newspapers. I am getting ready to leave for Alaska for a June 9 sailing S.B. on the Island!! I was looking for things to do in Fairbanks and up popped your thread when I did my search.

I have had a ball reading parts of your diary - all 2 years old. I am quickly printing the info I might need to take along with me. I can't imagine that much has changed. So my thanks for bumping it back up.

I have all my tours booked for the cruise portion. Some similar to yours - Coastal Helicopter, Island Wings to Misty Fjords, Carcross rail with Chilkoot, Harv & Marv whale watching.

And so far, Princess has us on the standard land portion excursions. I was just trying to fill my "free time" that I keep reading about. Any suggestions from anyone is most appreciated.

This will be my second cruise to Alaska, but my DH's first. I am looking forward to seeing it again with him. Hopefully, I can have a cruise review half as good as yours. Thanks again.

Kathleen

Am I just unlucky or what? 1st time to cruise and only considered choices that had the Tundra wilderness tour am. After purchasing Island Princess Aug 25th I cked itinerary on Princess website and it had natural history tour pm!! My TA called and they just said it was full - nothing offered for the downgrade. I had to go out and purchase the tour from another vendor and stuck with Natural History tickets we can't use. Has anyone else had this problem? I have booked about the same excursions Eilleen did only we are going to Copper River for 2 nights before Denali 2 nights. Just hope this is not a sign of things to come... Loved the info about the ship as we have a minisuite next to the front and was hoping we could go out on front deck but plans do not show a door...

We were on the Caribe deck of the Coral and spent a LOT of time out on the little deck on the bow. I had read the signs say "Staff Only", but they don't say that on the Coral any more. Loved it out there in the early a.m. - I was often the only person there (waving at the staff up in the bridge:) ) Of course it was busy during prime glacier viewing time, but it mostly CC'ers and it was quite fun.

We were on the Caribe deck of the Coral and spent a LOT of time out on the little deck on the bow. I had read the signs say "Staff Only", but they don't say that on the Coral any more. Loved it out there in the early a.m. - I was often the only person there (waving at the staff up in the bridge:) ) Of course it was busy during prime glacier viewing time, but it mostly CC'ers and it was quite fun.

I am hoping the Island Princess (since it is sister ship) allows the same thing. We will have a balcony but would be so nice just to pop out the door and go on the front to see both sides at times. Thank you for the information.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Nanzee,

Call the Princess Tour Desk ...our Cruisetour included the Natural History Tour, which we cancelled and got a credit (I don't remember how much, but it paid for us to do other things)...

thank you for the information. I emailed our TA and she emailed me back today saying our credit cards would be credited $48 each. Not a lot but hated to waste the tickets. (Now our luck Tundra tour will be back early because of weather and we could have used them just to get back into the park.)

• 2 weeks later...
I am hoping the Island Princess (since it is sister ship) allows the same thing. We will have a balcony but would be so nice just to pop out the door and go on the front to see both sides at times. Thank you for the information.

Nanzee- As I'm sure you remember from my review, we also had a balcony and it was great, but I really enjoyed my time out front on the deck when we were in good territory for Whalewatching. From there you can see the blows from the Humpbacks WAY before you would on THE side your balcony is on:)

But don't forget to use your lifesaver on the balcony chairs to raise your eye level above the railing!

Good idea about the lifesaver. I wouldnot have thought of that. Thanks.

My sister and I are outdoorsy anyway so I am sure we will do the front as much as possible especially since it is so close... It is getting here quickly. Now we are sweating the Denali bus driver strike. It seems the TWT is trying so hard to bypass us........rr

Archived