Swimming access in St Thomas or St Maarten

stacieps

I'm cruising on the Glory with my grandmother in December. She uses a wheelchair outside of home (she uses a walker within the house but only when necessary, not up any longer than absolutely necessary). She would like to be able to swim while we're on the cruise - does anyone have any ideas of places I could check out? I've been on this exact cruise but wasn't looking for anything that would be accessible for her. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

In St. Thomas go to Magen's Bay. Tell the cab driver that your mom needs to be close to the beach. The gaurd at the entrance will let your cab into the beach area. Towards the left from the entrance if you ask the driver to take you towards the bathrooms it is not to far a walk to the sand and water. They rent beach chairs and rafts as well as sell food. the bathrooms are accesible though up a long ramp.

St Maarten go to Orient Beach.

In St. Thomas go to Magen's Bay. Tell the cab driver that your mom needs to be close to the beach. The gaurd at the entrance will let your cab into the beach area. Towards the left from the entrance if you ask the driver to take you towards the bathrooms it is not to far a walk to the sand and water. They rent beach chairs and rafts as well as sell food. the bathrooms are accesible though up a long ramp.

St Maarten go to Orient Beach.

JSR,

Thanks for the tip about Magen's Bay. How did you get back to the ship? Did you tell the cab driver to come back to pick you up near the restrooms in a certain amount of time? My husband is disabled and can't walk far.

Thanks alot.

I had the cab come back at a specific time. There are very few sedan cabs and because I can not stand I try to avoid the bigger cabs that are min-vans or vans. If you can use any cab you could walk to the cab stand or ask one of the waiters to tell a cab you are ready and that you need them to come get your husband and they will drive down and get him.

Jean

Thanks Jean for the help. Is there anything else you would recommend doing in St. Thomas, Casa de Campo, or San Juan as we've never been to these places? I know that we'll also be stopping at Labadee which is a beach area. We'll be sailing on Explorer of the Seas on Oct. 26th from Cape Liberty.

I appreciate your help.

Archived