Handicap Accessible Sky Suite - Constellation

sjkabak

Hey everyone,

My wife and I just booked a New Year's eve cruise on the Constellation. We booked a sky suite and just noticed after all deposits and such were given that the cabin is handicapped accessible. Neither my wife or I need the special features of this cabin (thank goodness), however, I am concerned that the cabin may feel different or may have many features that we don't need and therefore might interfere with our cruise. According to the celebrity website, they have roll in showers (instead of a jacuzzi tub?), lower sinks/vanity, lower closet bars, etc. I am all for having accessible cabins for those who need them but we don't. Unfortunately there aren't any other SS available so I decided to post my questions here. Has anyone every sailed on an M class ship in an accessible cabin? I would love to hear your thoughts and experiences.

Thanks,

Steven

As someone who's disabled, I guess I come from a different perspective on this, and I think my first question would be, did you actually pick that cabin yourself or did Celebrity assign it to you? If it's the later, I have to say I'm very disappointed that X would assign that cabin to able-bodied passengers, so far in advance of the cruise. This is an ever-growing problem with both some passengers (not you) and the cruise lines. I find that many passengers will book those cabins because they're larger and they like the extra space, and cruise lines hand them out willy-nilly without actually requiring proof of disability. My feeling is that if the HC cabins are still available at final payment, then they can assign those cabins to anyone, but for X to give them out months in advance, it truly bothers me.

As for the cabin, yes, the bathrooms don't have a tub but a roll in shower that can be a pain for non HC passengers. Water from the shower gets everywhere in the bathroom. The commode is raised high off the floor, so if you're short, it is literally a pain in many ways, especially if you have to sit there for a time. There are grab bars in the bathroom and the sinks are raised in order for a wheelchair to fit under the sink.

And, just to add, there are no drawers under the sink as it needs to be open for a wheelchair to come close to the sink. We bring an over the door shoe storage. That is where we put our toiletries for easy accessibility. The toilet seat is raised and there's less closet space. But, there is more space in the room for wheelchairs, scooters, medical equipment.

Why don't you ask for a Concierge Class room and then be waitlisted for a sky suite. I really think that you might enjoy a CC room.

Hi there - my hubby and I were in one of the handicapped-accessible sky suites on Connie about 3 years ago, and with the exception of the bars and the lack of a tub in the bathroom we did not notice anything that made it more difficult or awkward than a standard cabin. We did notice the constant noise coming from the penthouse next door, which was a constant problem as they liked to play the piano and party on their balcony at 2:00 in the morning. I think we still have some picutres of the room and could email them to you if you are interested.

I completely understand the negeative feelings towards the cruise lines for giving away these types of cabins to able bodied people. I did not choose it. My travel agent told me that it was available as an upgrade and I thought that the price was reasonable. She booked it and then a few days later I went to the website and noticed it was an accessible cabin.

I will talk to my TA in the morning and see what she can do.

In the meantime, the other poster that has pictures, I would appreciate seeing them. Please send them to me at SJKabak@aol.com

Thanks for the advice!

Steven

• 2 weeks later...

Archived