What exactly is the baths?

lbt43

It's an odd formation of huge boulders with grottoes and saltwater pools on the beach in Virgin Gorda that you can "walk" and climb through (some areas are a tight squeeze). It got its name from a geological term "batholiths"...but I have also heard it was named The Baths because the Spanish used to bring their slaves to the islands from Africa for sugar cane harvesting and stop there to have them clean/bathe.

Apparently The Baths draw people from all over the world for more than just the awe of nature....they believe that swimming in this area has some unknown healing powers and it is the "eigth wonder of the world".

...whatever you believe the area is pretty cool and a must see.

Check out this site and also if you Google The Baths British Virgin Islands you will find more info and pictures. Hope this helps. My husband and I have done the tour through the ship and it takes some twisting and turning to get through some of the spots. The climb back up to the parking lot was very steep.

http://cruises.about.com/od/caribbeancruises/ig/Virgin-Gorda--BVI/index.htm

• 3 weeks later...
Check out this site and also if you Google The Baths British Virgin Islands you will find more info and pictures. Hope this helps. My husband and I have done the tour through the ship and it takes some twisting and turning to get through some of the spots. The climb back up to the parking lot was very steep.

http://cruises.about.com/od/caribbeancruises/ig/Virgin-Gorda--BVI/index.htm

Thanks for the pics, now I don't have to go. Doesn't look that interesting to me and DW has very bad knees.

Archived