Just back from the Galaxy-8/25/06

doublemm16

What can someone tell me about the email program on the Galaxy? The web site mentions a $2.00 charge per email sent and received but with this, it is not necessary to do the minutes package. Has anyone used this service and does it work? I know it is cheaper to use the cafes on shore but it also takes valuable time. I am interested in the ship's computers - and what anyone knows about this "new" program.

Thank you.

The charge is per email reipient too. In other words, if you send an email to 5 addressees, this one email will cost you $10. Best to have one person at home you can send email to and have them forward that to everyone else. I don't think you have to sign up to receive emails. You will be given an email address when you board and if you receive an email, you will be notified in your cabin. To send you just go to the lab and the attendant will set you up.

The name of the maitre d' is Arslan Colak. We wrote it down. He was our maitre d' on the September 4th cruise and we too thought he was terrific. Hope this helps.

Thank you SOOOOO much Tupper! you have made our day! Now we can write the letter we wanted to and reference Arslan's name! You've really helped us out. He really was a great maitreD, wasn't he.

Thanks again.

So glad to hear such positive reviews!!! We are taking the 10/6 Galaxy sailing to the Med and am getting more excited by the minute! One question we had from our roll call is whether we can bring wine from the ports on board to enjoy with dinner (or in our room). Were you able to do that? Any problem? Thanks so much for all the information! Rene

Thanks, June! Wonder whether the cruiseline took the wine and held it until the end or whether they were allowed to bring to their room or dining room.

Another question - curious as to what anyone did when they were in Messina? Did you book private tours or ship's excursion? Would love to hear how any of these were. Any advice would be appreciated! Rene

We took Taormina on your own with the ship's tours. It was reasonable and Taormina is beautiful. I spoke to some of my friends who took a longer tour including Mt Etna and they felt they did not have enough time in Taormina. Many of the shops in Taormina really do close for lunch- about 1pm so do your shopping first.

Hi Rene: Definitely do the "Taormina On Your Own" with the ship's tour. We did the tour which wasn't "on our own", and we felt that we did not get nearly enough "touring" time in the town of Taormina. If we had known how easy it was to get around Taormina once you're there, we would have done the "on your own" tour. Taormina is a beautiful and charming town with lots of beautiful views, great cafes and restaurants - and of course, lots of shops to browse in. I know you will love Taormina!

June

Archived