Travel guides & books

txfab

What travel books have you found to be helpful? Do you have a favorite gay "city guide" or book? Damron has limited iternational listings.

I am looking for gay friendly beaches in the Southern Caribbean. Next year it will be Europe.

Do you have a favorite local tour guide that is family friendly?

Do you have a favorite gay guide website? Remember CCs rules.

Txfab

Hi Txfab,

There is an international guide book called Spartacus International Gay Guide. The book comes out yearly and can usually be found in a GLBT Book store or from some of the larger online book suppliers.

Hope this helps out.

See you at the end of next month on the Zuiderdam!

Time Out has a specific gay guide for London which I found good (although I haven't gone to London yet). It hits all the same must-see places as the regular guide but adds some special insight for gay travelers. The regular Time Out guide for London was also good; they have Time Out guides for a lot of cities, but I've only seen a gay guide for London.

What travel books have you found to be helpful? Do you have a favorite gay "city guide" or book?

Although they're not specifically gay we've found the Rough Guides to be very helpful. They do have a couple of pages relating to the gay traveller that will say about any important gay attractions. They also do a series called "directions". Those books just relate to one town or city and are small enough to fit in your pocket and take with you.

Spartacus is good, although I'd not want it to be my only travel guide - it is far more on the legal and cultural aspects of being gay and also provides information about local clubs, switchboards, cruising areas, rent, etc.

Good points Malcolm,

When I originally posted, I was thinking only in terms of where this particular type of bar or pub may be located or in terms of where to find a particular type of gay owned or friendly restaurant.

The Rough Guide series of books is good as well. I used to enjoy their shows on TV. If the Rough Guide series aren't available in Txfab's area, the Lonely Planet series is a good one as well.

Lonely Planet guide books also includes a section about Gay Travel as well but they don't give specific locations. Usually, the books only address the tolerance climate of each area.

Archived