Prescription Drugs from U.S.

newrivercruiser

Help!! My husband and I both have a number of prescription drugs and non-prescription supplements that we take on a daily basis. We normally prepare packets containing all the drugs per dose (i.e. morning and evening).

My husband read on the customs site that all drugs are required to be in the original prescription bottles!!

Anybody had any recent experience with this matter??

Help!! My husband and I both have a number of prescription drugs and non-prescription supplements that we take on a daily basis. We normally prepare packets containing all the drugs per dose (i.e. morning and evening).

My husband read on the customs site that all drugs are required to be in the original prescription bottles!!

Anybody had any recent experience with this matter??

It has always been that way for travel outside of the USA. We bring them in the original bottles (take out extras) and then put them in our "pill boxes" when we arrive. If the original bottles are large we have saved some smaller ones and just remove the lablels and attach them to the smaller bottles. We figure that is the best way to guarantee that the medications are not taken away and disposed of. Much better to have the inconvenience of packing those pills than to take the chance of not having them.

We have had them look at the bottles but never question what was in them.

Here is a link to the TSA site which tells you what is allowed and what is not. Just click on Medications and it tells you what is required.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm#2

Steamboats,

If you are traveling thru the UK, forget the scissors and the knitting. We came thru Heathrow on 15 Aug and even on a US carrier they wouldn't allow those thru. And yes your prescription drugs must be in original bottles and labeled for your use. We just returned from Denver on Sun. and they were confiscating things right and left. Hope you enjoy your trip to the US. We will be on a cruise along the west coast of Japan while you are here. Thanks for all your advice on Europe. Pat

Pat,

I stopped knitting at school :D ! We have such a great airport here in Munich (No. 2 in Germany and No. 8 in the world) and believe me, no ten horses will get me to Heathrow if I can avoid it :) . We flew to Portland last year via Frankfurt and I thought Frankfurt airport is a mess. It´s all pretty well organized in Munich and I never encountered long lines here. We do have flights to Miami, Atlanta, NY, Chicago, Washington, Philadelphia. What do I need more :) ! We´re trying US Airways to Philadelphia this time. Less than 3 weeks to go!

steamboats

Archived