Summary of Winning Bids on Priceline, Hotwire, etc.

sunlover5

Finally settled for a 3-Star which we got for $115 tonight through Priceline. Tried the 3.5-Star up to $160 and the Resort for up to $185 with no luck. Their business must be too good for Feb 20:(. Have stayed in many Courtyards & have read good reviews on this one so know pretty much what to expect. Just needed the one night before our cruise & this is not a bad price compared to the $215 Priceline wanted for a regular booking.

I know it's too early to bid for our upcoming cruise out of San Juan, but I am watching with interest what you are all getting. We have 3 rooms reserved at the Clarion Collection Le Consulat at $120 per night currently. However, I was thinking of bidding when it gets closer to our cruise date of May 3.

I have never used Priceline, but am doing a trial run for an upcoming trip to Chicago in the end of January. I asked for bidding help on Biddingfortravel.com and they gave me some good advice. However, my bids were rejected today. BFT said to wait another month and then try again. How far in advance do you usually bid when you do Priceline? Any advice would be helpful.

Finally settled for a 3-Star which we got for $115 tonight through Priceline. Tried the 3.5-Star up to $160 and the Resort for up to $185 with no luck. Their business must be too good for Feb 20:(. Have stayed in many Courtyards & have read good reviews on this one so know pretty much what to expect. Just needed the one night before our cruise & this is not a bad price compared to the $215 Priceline wanted for a regular booking.

I used priceline in June/July and was awarded the Continental for $175. First time using Priceline

I know it's too early to bid for our upcoming cruise out of San Juan, but I am watching with interest what you are all getting. We have 3 rooms reserved at the Clarion Collection Le Consulat at $120 per night currently. However, I was thinking of bidding when it gets closer to our cruise date of May 3.

I have never used Priceline, but am doing a trial run for an upcoming trip to Chicago in the end of January. I asked for bidding help on Biddingfortravel.com and they gave me some good advice. However, my bids were rejected today. BFT said to wait another month and then try again. How far in advance do you usually bid when you do Priceline? Any advice would be helpful.

I'm headed your way this Thursday. Make sure it stays sunny and hot for me would you please??

gayle

Watch out for the Congress Hotel in Chicago. Its a dump and the workers have been on strike for years..

Keep bidding everyday. It's not too early. They offer different properties all the time. Good luck Debbie

OK - I'll give it another try! Can we offer the same bid every day or do we have to keep increasing the price? I am assuming we can offer the same bid again as long as it has been more than 24 hours?

It's definitely never too early to start bidding! We got the Marriott almost a year in advance. So start bidding and keep bidding (for both trips), don't wait a month between bids, bid as often as you can. See all the tips above for bidding multiple times a day for a resort in San Juan.

Has anyone bid successfully for a hotel in San Juan on February 21, 2009? Also, what is the lowest level of start I could drop to and still be safe I will get a nice hotel? Right now, I've just been bidding on resort only but have gotten up to almost $200 with no luck! It looks like 3 1/2 star and up is really nice. Also, please inform me of areas that are good/bad, near good restaurants to dine and close to the airport or cruise pier. TIA!

Has anyone bid successfully for a hotel in San Juan on February 21, 2009? Also, what is the lowest level of start I could drop to and still be safe I will get a nice hotel? Right now, I've just been bidding on resort only but have gotten up to almost $200 with no luck! It looks like 3 1/2 star and up is really nice. Also, please inform me of areas that are good/bad, near good restaurants to dine and close to the airport or cruise pier. TIA!

Note my post #626 above.... Checking in 2/20 rather than 2/21 but had similar experience as you mention. To do it over, I'd start bidding at around $90 for 3-star. Note you can bid twice per day on 3-star because of 1 "free zone". First bid for only San Juan area and, if not accepted, add Cabo Rojo area on second bid since no 3-stars are actually located in Cabo Rojo you can bid twice in one day & not risk getting a place in an area you don't want.

You may want to read some of the reviews on the 3-star places before bidding. The Marriott Courtyard got mostly good reviews plus I've stayed in several of their hotels so know pretty much what to expect.

Good luck!

I am looking to use Priceline for our upcoming trip. In the fine print, it is a guarantee for 2 persons. How much more is it going to be to add 2 people to the room. Is this going to be an additional cost, or will they honor the initial price. I am assuming that it will up the price, but I do not want to get caught with a high price for 2 additional guests.

Anyone have any experience or information?

Thank you!

WC

I am looking to use Priceline for our upcoming trip. In the fine print, it is a guarantee for 2 persons. How much more is it going to be to add 2 people to the room. Is this going to be an additional cost, or will they honor the initial price. I am assuming that it will up the price, but I do not want to get caught with a high price for 2 additional guests.

Anyone have any experience or information?

Thank you!

WC

You can't do anything officially with Priceline, they only guarantee double occupancy, so you either have to bid on 2 rooms, or after you win the bid and find out the hotel, you have to put in a request for a room with 2 double beds. You can also request a rollaway bed, if the hotel allows it, but that is often subject to fire codes. You always risk the chance that the hotel will only have a king-size bed room or something like that, so you have to consider the 4 people that you have, is it mom, dad and 2 kids or 2 couples, to weigh the risk. We just stayed in an Embassy Suites and found out that they didn't even have roll away beds available since they have sofa beds. Our kids ended up fighting over who got to sleep on the sofa cushions I put on the floor and designed a cool fort-kinda thing...they ended up sharing the nights on it and loved it! So if it's a family of 4 there's less risk.

It's definitely never too early to start bidding! We got the Marriott almost a year in advance. So start bidding and keep bidding (for both trips), don't wait a month between bids, bid as often as you can. See all the tips above for bidding multiple times a day for a resort in San Juan.

OK - I did get my hotel in Chicago - Wyndham O'Hare, 3* for $48/night for 1/29 - 2/01/09. Thanks for the help. I'm happy! Now back to San Juan.....

As much as I would love to stay there for several days we are limited in time to 1 night pre-cruise....and we won't be arriving until 9:30 PM. We hope to leave for the ship between 11AM & noon, so we won't have much time to enjoy the amenities of the hotel. As I stated before, I already have the Clarion Collection Le Consolate reserved for $121 (after taxes,pre-tax $103). I have no idea of what it's star rating on Priceline would be, but it is a brand new boutique hotel near the beach. I believe it is a 3* on Trip Advisor - or 2 1/2* as it has very few amenities. No restaurant - just a basic clean & quaint place to lay down your head. My question is - would it be worth my while to try to get a Priceline Hotel for the same or less money or should I stick with what I have? A nice 4* or resort would be fun, but we would not have much time to enjoy it.:( I know we would not be willing to spend more $$$ for a resort, especially if we have to pay a resort tax that is higher.

Advice,please! We will be there the night of May 2.

OK - I did get my hotel in Chicago - Wyndham O'Hare, 3* for $48/night for 1/29 - 2/01/09. Thanks for the help. I'm happy! Now back to San Juan.....

As much as I would love to stay there for several days we are limited in time to 1 night pre-cruise....and we won't be arriving until 9:30 PM. We hope to leave for the ship between 11AM & noon, so we won't have much time to enjoy the amenities of the hotel. As I stated before, I already have the Clarion Collection Le Consolate reserved for $121 (after taxes,pre-tax $103). I have no idea of what it's star rating on Priceline would be, but it is a brand new boutique hotel near the beach. I believe it is a 3* on Trip Advisor - or 2 1/2* as it has very few amenities. No restaurant - just a basic clean & quaint place to lay down your head. My question is - would it be worth my while to try to get a Priceline Hotel for the same or less money or should I stick with what I have? A nice 4* or resort would be fun, but we would not have much time to enjoy it.:( I know we would not be willing to spend more $$$ for a resort, especially if we have to pay a resort tax that is higher.

You'll love the Wyndham, it's a short walk to great pizza, etc. which many of the O'hare hotels don't have. I would bid for a resort in San Juan, you'll enjoy all the amenities and the beach and pool, it's a great way to start a cruise!

My question is - would it be worth my while to try to get a Priceline Hotel for the same or less money or should I stick with what I have? A nice 4* or resort would be fun, but we would not have much time to enjoy it.:( I know we would not be willing to spend more $$$ for a resort, especially if we have to pay a resort tax that is higher.

This far ahead of time, given your situation, I'd say it's probably not worth it. Remember, once your bid is accepted on Priceline, it's non-refundable. Given that you have a decent property (we have it as our 'backup' for next month) already reserved, and you won't be at the hotel more than a few waking hours, you may be better holding off until a few weeks before your dates. But that's just how I look at it.

Edited by YOW

This far ahead of time, given your situation, I'd say it's probably not worth it. Remember, once your bid is accepted on Priceline, it's non-refundable. Given that you have a decent property (we have it as our 'backup' for next month) already reserved, and you won't be at the hotel more than a few waking hours, you may be better holding off until a few weeks before your dates. But that's just how I look at it.

I have been looking at it the same way. Our price is good for San Juan and with the small amount of time we will have at the hotel I think I will wait to bid until we are much closer to our travel time. Even at that I will only change if the price is cheaper or the same for a higher star level. That would have to include any resort fee we may encounter. I'm not sure how to plan for that in my bidding strategy.

We also have traveling companions. I would need to bid for 3 rooms and they would all have to accept what I get! So before I do anything I will explain to them how it works.:cool:

Looking for help. I have spend many hours reading this board. I am Canadian and am thinking of using priceline to book my post cruise stay. I am staying at the Condado pre cruise and got a good deal through my TA and myself watching all the sites. However, post cruise is 12/28/08 for one night. Many of the hotels/resorts are in the $400-600 range. Any idea on how to go about this? I always look forward to reading Toonjie's advice .. your answers are awesome. Any help is always appreciated.

thanks

I've been trying Priceline now for a couple of weeks for pre and post cruise nights - December 27, 2008 and also January 3, 2008 (one night each). As Jawds posted above the rates for the end of December are crazy and with the conversion from US to Canadian (I'm Canadian as well) they are sooo expensive. The 27th we are not going to be able to take in much of San Juan as our plane doesn't land until 6:00 pm (but would like a clean, safe hotel). We will probably just try to find some live Salsa music for that night - any sugestions? We have booked the Coral Princess Inn at a rate of $135.00 + $9.92 taxes + $2.00 per person tax - Looks like it will be about $157.42. Are any of you familiar with this hotel. On January 3rd, we would like to treat ourselves and I have been trying to get a resort in San Juan area. I have been doing the tricks for bidding (adding locations that do not have resorts, as suggested on this site..... thank you so much for them)...... but have gone as high as $170.00 with no luck. By the way, does anyone have any idea how much the resort taxes are? Any ideas/suggestions are greatly appreciated.