currency in med ports

I was wondering what the right ratio was of US dollars and euros to bring.

We were thinking of 2/3 euros and 1/3 USD. Does this sound right? Do most of the mediterranean ports accept US dollars. I know that kusadasi uses turkish lire and wanted to know if they also accept US as well.

some many questions.......

We used only euros. We took just a couple of hundred Euros with us from the states, eventhough the exchange rate was bad. From there on out we got Euros at ATMs in each of the ports. Usually got out enough the day before for the next day, just in case we couldn't find an ATM. We didn't really carry that much cash around and we split it between the two of us, just in case.

One note: In Croatia, we used euros and US (only port we took a few USD), but mostly used debit card. Didn't get any kronas exchanged as all the shops either took other currency &/or the card.

In Turkey they seemed to take Euros or dollars as equals so you would be ahead of the game to use dollars there given the exchange rate. All the other ports we were at in the Med required us to use Euros. The Golden had a machine that would exchange dollars for euros up to 8 bills for a fixed charge. The exchange rate was supposed to be the official one for that day. If you exchanged the maximum number of bills per day, I changed some of my $20 US bills for $50 US bills at the pursers desk and then exchanged those bills for euros to minimize my charges. We had gotten some euros before we left home but used those in the first couple of ports, Barcelona and Monte Carlo.

Have a great next cruise.

Archived