Calica....

elon mom

Was there 2 weeks ago. Taxi from Calica to Playa was 10.00 one way and was about a 10-15 minute cab ride, depending on traffic.

I actually enjoyed the port but boy o boy was it hot there.

Enjoy, I am heading back there next week on the Imagination.

The "rock quarry" is certainly..er, unattractive but ignore that. (Look at the water off the side of the ship - it is so clean and clear) Take the taxi to Playa del Carmen....There are nice shops, plenty of shade, street vendors, a Hagen Daz ice cream shop (!), a coupla cute little restaurants to grab a bit.

We walked down to the little beach there and it was very nice. No swimming that day, though, it was hotter'n hades. However, if I go back and it is not steaming hot, I would use the little beach.

Several people I spoke with took a couple of the tours offered and seemed to enjoy them - other than the unbelievably hot and humid weather. We always take smallish spray bottles ashore filled with water to get a little instant relief....boy, we used them that day....

We were there just a week or so back. We actually took a cave excursion that ended at at beach. It was one of the nicest beaches that I have ever been to. There were 11 people except for the workers at the beach (as far as you could see). I have been on alot of different excursions and this one was at the top.

The port itself in maybe 10 venders and lots of taxes. I did get a great sun set picture as we were leaving.

Terri

Xcaret is nearby. You can actually see the ship docked from the beach there. They have an underground river you can swim, beach, restaurants, aquarium, dolphins, etc. We always go there to spend the day and have a great time. You can book the excursion on the ship and the buses pick you up at the dock and run back and forth every 30 minutes.

Danech,

The excursion I was speaking of was offered by Carnival. The excursion went to some caverns with a lake at the end, the caverns also had some animals that were at the end (spider monkeys, deers and some kind of pigs) after you leave the caverns you go to a beach private. At the beach a lunch was offered, there was also a bar. The beach was beautiful and we were the only ones there. The water was clear, but no beach toys for kids, there was also alot of rocks in the water, but the beach itself was sandy.

I don't know if the kids would care for the caverns or the beach, I guess it is according to the ages they are. There is a good bit of walking at the caverns and like I said there were no water toys at the beach. I was the youngest on our trip and I will be 40 this year. Average age I would say was around 45 - 48 years old on our excursion.

Terri

Any info on Calica????Never even heard of it and now I am going there... do you dock or tender???? Anything that someone can give me a heads up on to do or not to do!!!! Thanks as always!

You will absolutely love XCARET: http://www.xcaret.com

You can easily spend 4 or more hours here. No need to book it on the ship. Just jump on one of the buses at Calica and they will take you there in about 10 minutes. :)

This is a great little town....I was there in February and just loved it!! So many little shops and places to eat. The Mayan Ruins are simply astounding here! I have some of the most beautiful pictures from this site. I went along for DH sake, and ended up just loving it. I was totally mesmerized at the beauty and complexity of it all. Don't spend a lot on the tour through Carnival....we picked up a taxi and went by ourselves for a lot less. Remember to negotiate prices with the taxi drivers....they do have some margin. We actually met another couple walking in town wanting to go the same place, so we shared a cab. We still had time for plenty of shopping and eating in the town itself when we were through.

we really enjoyed Xcaret in August. My dh, ds 1(13) and ds 2 (17) and I really enjoyed the underground river and just strolling through the park. Very lovely until the rains came.....not much place for cover. we were wetter than after we got out of the river:cool: but we enjoyed it and would go back to see what we missed..... lots and lots to see and do

Any info on Calica????Never even heard of it and now I am going there... do you dock or tender???? Anything that someone can give me a heads up on to do or not to do!!!! Thanks as always!

I highly recommend planning a private tour/shore excursion with Bonnie and Ed of Edventures ... see this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=410003

Stephanie

• 1 month later...

We're also going to Calica and I had never heard of it, but I had heard of PDC. We're looking forward to this. I noticed that a lot of you went in September and it was HOT.....does anyone have a clue how hot it'll be in late November?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived