Manhattan - 24th St. & 7th Ave. - Cheap Eats?!?!

Curt Jerome Wild

Hey all New Yorkers/New Jersey-ites...

So, I have some "just out of college" friends that are either just moving to Manahattan to work, or going through the area soon for a cruise...

They are all asking me...

Where are good (but just out of college age/budget) places to eat especially lunch, but then also dinner around...

24th Street and 7th Avenue...

The ones that are "staying" there, and the ones that are "cruising though", will all have Metro Passes, so the ideals are...

What is walking distance (good inexpensive eats for lunch and dinner) around 12th/7th...

And what is within a one or two subway stop from there?

Think, decent quality, but inexpensive or fun/unique for just out of college students...

Lunch or Dinner...

Ideas, please give help or advice (I know some, but I feel like you all can give me more or better)...

CJW

Hi CJW,

A few of my favorite inexpensive eats in that general area- and when I say general area I mean Chelsea/Soho/Village/Tribeca. These are all walkable or <=2 stops on the E train.

1. Rickshaw Dumpling Bar- Asian (Chelsea, 23rd and 6th)

2. Mooncake Foods- Pan Asian (Watts/Grand, Tribeca)

3. Palacinka- Crepes! (Grand/6th Avenue, Soho)

4. Broome Street Bar- Burgers and Beer (W. Broadway and Broome, Soho)

Now if they take the F a couple of stops over to the East Village, their choices expand quite a bit.

1. Chubo- Prix Fixe and One ingredient Wednesdays. (Clinton and E. Houston)

2. Anything on St. Marks.

Aleo is a favorite of mine, but it's not "cheap eats". Dinner will easily run $50. per person w/ tax and tip.

True. Definitely a splurge for recent college grads. Is Cafeteria (18th and 7th??) considered cheap eats? I remember being there a couple of years ago and it was pretty good.

Hey all New Yorkers/New Jersey-ites...

So, I have some "just out of college" friends that are either just moving to Manahattan to work, or going through the area soon for a cruise...

They are all asking me...

Where are good (but just out of college age/budget) places to eat especially lunch, but then also dinner around...

24th Street and 7th Avenue...

The ones that are "staying" there, and the ones that are "cruising though", will all have Metro Passes, so the ideals are...

What is walking distance (good inexpensive eats for lunch and dinner) around 12th/7th...

And what is within a one or two subway stop from there?

Think, decent quality, but inexpensive or fun/unique for just out of college students...

Lunch or Dinner...

Ideas, please give help or advice (I know some, but I feel like you all can give me more or better)...

CJW

Songfram (or something like that) on 8th Ave betw. 26th-27th Streets

Terrific cheap thai food. (across street from MacDonalds)

Tell them to walk down 7th, 8th & 9th Ave's between 28th to about 16th Street and they'll find a bunch of places.

Meatpacking District is pricey - however, there's a little place called Paradou that most reasonable. Sunday brunch comes with unlimited champagne - that'll help off set costs. <g> Also, right near there is Chelsea Market on 9th Ave betw. 14th-15th Streets. Inside are some very cheap eats (soup, salad, italian, thai) and it's a fun place to visit.

Coffee Shop - on 16th Street and Union Square West (which is one block east of 5th Ave). Hip, brazillian coffee shop and hang out.

Lower East Side aka East Village - Go to East 6th Street between 1st and 2nd Ave's (take subway to St. Mark's Place/Cooper Union) and they'll find a ton of cheap indian places. Mitali is my favorite, but many are good.

After that, tell them to walk to Veniero's on 11th St, and 1st Ave for dessert. It's an italian bakery/cafe.

Also, walk along 2nd Ave betw. 6th and 14th Streets and there are many "cheap and charming" spots. 8th Street aka St. Marks Place also has some hot spots but not my fave place to eat.

Little Italy - Mulberry St. is the main drag and there are many inexpensive places to eat. Il Fornaio is my fave, but again, follow their nose and their budgets. (menu's posted outside all restaurants in NYC)

Of course, nearby is Chinatown with lots of cheap eats. Then they can walk to Little Italy and pick a place for dessert.

In Chelsea - on 23rd St. between 7th and 8th Ave is the famous Chelsea Hotel. Next to the hotel is one of the Paella Palaces, I forget the name but it's been there for eons.

El Faro - Famous Paella Palace in the West Village on West 4th Street. Paella can be shared so it's a good deal.

A little more than dirt cheap, but still reasonable by NY standards....

Jerry's American - on Spring St. in Soho. Soho is getting pricey, but Jerry's remains not too bad. It's not "dirt cheap", but reasonable.

Danal - on E. 10th St. Shabby Chic french.

28 Seats - Ave B and about 8th Street. Adorable french place with great food.

I'm off to dinner. Will come up with some more for tomorrow.

Jane

True. Definitely a splurge for recent college grads. Is Cafeteria (18th and 7th??) considered cheap eats? I remember being there a couple of years ago and it was pretty good.

Yeah, Cafeteria is probably a good choice, though I think it's on 8th Ave.

Some more thoughts:

Mayrose Diner - Broadway and approx 18th Street. Breakfast/Lunch hangout.

Cowgirl Hall of Fame - Hudson Street and 10th Street. "white trash food". (Hudson Street is 8th Ave when it gets below 14th St.)

Pop Burger - good for late night snacks and hang-out. 14th St. & 9th Ave. Meat Packing district.

Kelley & Ping - Soho noodle shop on Pronce and Greene St. (not worth a special trip but good to know if they're in the area)

Fanelli's Bar - corner of Prince and Wooster in Soho. Great burger joint and old bar.

Chumley's Bar - on Bedford and Washington St. in W. Village. Beer hangout and good fish 'n chips, shepard's pie and burgers. Old speakeasy, so door on Bedford street is unmarked. Big wooden door, walk through courtyard or enter around corner.

Cafe Mogador - E. Village St. Mark's Place betw. Ave A and 1st Ave. Cheap moroccan tagines.

Nooch - 8th Ave. 17th St. Not exceptional noodle shop, but near them.

Shopsin's - W. Village on Carmine betw. Bedford and Bleeker St's. Kenny Shopsin is a NYC legend and it's not for the faint of heart. Kenny can cook like no one else and his clientele is the hippest around but he's got his rules. No cell phone conversations and no parties larger than 4 people.

Yeah, Cafeteria is probably a good choice, though I think it's on 8th Ave.

Cafeteria is indeed on 7th Ave.

Cafeteria is on 7th Avenue at 17th Street. It's a good choice, though it's often busy and requires a long wait. A similar experience can be had at elmo's, on 7th between 18th and 19th. Both are "in" places and can be a lot of fun (though I prefer elmo's).

My favorite place in the neighborhood is East of Eight, on 23rd Street (just east of 8th avenue). Good food, fun place, and depending on the season a great garden.

The paella place on 23rd is called El Quijote. Not my personal favorite, but they're always busy.

Or just walk south on 8th Avenue from 23rd to 14th and eat anywhere that looks good.

Around the clock Stuyvesant St,Btwn 3rd Ave & 9th St 24 hrs breakfast, vegetarian entrees, stir frys, sandwiches, the Challah bread french toast is awesome so are the omelets which are $4 adn come with a choice of home fries, fries, brown rice or steamed veggies. I lived here when I went to NYU and still go in sometimes if I'm out late

Patsys - University & 10th - Pizza

Indian Taj - Bleeker & McDougal - good Indian food

Tio Pepe West 4th Street, Bet. 6th & 7th Ave really good spanish/mexican food

Around the clock Stuyvesant St,Btwn 3rd Ave & 9th St 24 hrs breakfast, vegetarian entrees, stir frys, sandwiches, the Challah bread french toast is awesome so are the omelets which are $4 adn come with a choice of home fries, fries, brown rice or steamed veggies. I lived here when I went to NYU and still go in sometimes if I'm out late

Patsys - University & 10th - Pizza

Indian Taj - Bleeker & McDougal - good Indian food

Tio Pepe West 4th Street, Bet. 6th & 7th Ave really good spanish/mexican food

There's also a Patsy's on 34th Street and 3rd Ave. Patsy's is pizza and pasta. Good, filling and cheap.

Tio Pepe - thanks folashade, I could visualize it but couldn't remember the name. Another Paella Palace.

El Quiote on W. 23rd is right near them. Besides, its fun to see the Chelsea Hotel.

I just got back from doing "research" on this topic.

Oh my gosh!:D

I apologize for putting anyone to the trouble of forcing you all to taste test and research some of your recommendations, just to be sure...

I wouldn't want to make you eat good food, all in the name of researching for Cruise Critic!;)

Please, if any of you feel the need to eat more good food and research on my behalf, I profusely apologize up front!:o

CJW

PS Oh yeah, then be sure to come back here and report on any new great finds...;)

Oh my gosh!:D

I apologize for putting anyone to the trouble of forcing you all to taste test and research some of your recommendations, just to be sure...

I wouldn't want to make you eat good food, all in the name of researching for Cruise Critic!;)

Please, if any of you feel the need to eat more good food and research on my behalf, I profusely apologize up front!:o

CJW

PS Oh yeah, then be sure to come back here and report on any new great finds...;)

Heehee, anything for CJW and CC!!! And, of course, only the finest of New York's cheap eats for CJW's friends will do. ;)

Did you see my post in the Project Runway thread about meeting Laura on the street while I was doing my "research"?!

I would add

Silver Spurs - Bwdy & 9th burgers

Gobo - 6th & 8th Awesome Vegetarian and I am far from being a vegetarian/Vegan

If they have to have a hot dog please stay away from the dirty dog carts. I can't remember the name but it is on the corner of W8th street and 6th ave

I would add

Silver Spurs - Bwdy & 9th burgers

Gobo - 6th & 8th Awesome Vegetarian and I am far from being a vegetarian/Vegan

If they have to have a hot dog please stay away from the dirty dog carts. I can't remember the name but it is on the corner of W8th street and 6th ave

You're thinking of Papaya King.

They also have alocation right near where Curts friends will be on 23rd St and 6th Ave. I'm not a fan of hot dogs, but people love them. I like their papaya drinks. Curt, your friends should know that this place is a "stand and eat" or take-out, not a restaurant.

Along with the one on 23rd st, and the one on 8th Street and 6th Ave, there's another on 72nd St. and Broadway. (Curt, that's the upper west side and your friends may not get there in a short visit).

Re: Gobo 6th and 8th. Just a suggestion folashade, but saying 6th and 8th can be confusing to an out of towner. To them it could mean 6th Ave and 8th St or 8th Ave and 6th Street. Sure, NYer's know there's no 8th Ave as far south as 6th St, but most visitors wouldn't.

A recent study found that the sanitation on the street vendors is acceptable. While this may have not always been true, the NYC Department of Health takes food cleanliest seriously and monitors the street vendors. In a national study done NYC was the only place where there was no food contamination found(I would say what they used to check but I don't want to make people sick) in its restaurants---and this includes the street vendors. So in NYC at least feast away....on the street or anywhere.

Archived