Volendam-holland American-comments

safety

Hi- My Wife And I Are Thinking Of Cruising The Panama Canal In March 2007 On The Volendam Out Of Fort Lauderdale.

We Have Recently Been On The Brilliance/rcl-infinity/celebrity-sapphire/princess. We Have Greatly Enjoyed All These Ships. There Are All 2000+ Passenger Ships With Varied Dining/entertainment/activities Choices . I Have Not Been On A Holland American Cruise Yet.

I Have Looked At A Few Websites To Get A Feel For The Volendam/holland American Lines. It Seems That The Volendam Is An Elegant Ship, Smaller In Size Than I Have Previously Cruised On. I Am 60 Yrs Old But Prefer A Much Varied Age Group. I Also Enjoy Varied Dining And Entertainment Choices-are These Compromised By Cruising On A Smaller Ship?

Any Comments You May Have Will Be Appreciated--thank You

DH and I just returned yesterday from a 7 day Alaska on the Volendam. I join others here who sing her praises. I felt her size was an asset - easy to get around, very well laid out, elegant and intimate at the same time. Service was superb. However, there wasn't a varied age group on this trip - 99.9% were retirement age (saw 1 baby and 3 children under 16). The dining was some of the best we've had aboard any ship, including Celebrity and RCI - LOVED the roasted pheasant. Can't help you on the entertainment as we didn't attend any of the shows but did enjoy the daily string ensemble along with the piano bar. Hope this helps.

HAL will tend to an older demographic---and this will especially be true on a longer cruise, which the Panama Canal is. But you will find the passengers to be interesting and well-traveled.

For dinner you have several choices: There is the usual dining room, of course. There are the casual setting of the Lido buffet and room service alternatives. For an up-scale alternative there is the Pinnacle Grill.

After dinner entertainment runs from a movie in a theatre, the floor show, and several lounges. The Explorers Lounge is where you will find classical music played on stringed instruments. The Ocean Bar will have a combo for dancing. The Piano Lounge has a dance floor and a piano player. Crow's Nest will have a combo early then becomes the disco late night.

I sailed the Volendam this past July and had a marvelous time. I've sailed her sisters the Rotterdam and the Amsterdam, and will sail her other sister the Zaandam in three weeks (three weeks! yippee!). I love the size of these ships.

They have beautiful flowers everywhere---the Volendam is themed around flowers---and lovely artwork. Service is friendly and efficient.

The Volendam may or may not be your cup of tea, but this thread has given you much information to start thinking about.

Archived